[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Old meets New...Project: Carrera Refit

Old meets New...Project: Carrera Refit

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Old meets New...Project: Carrera Refit

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:31 pm

Thanks to Bruce at CincySlots and SCC, new toys arrived today.

Fist time using the B-Nova guide systems. Looks easy enough, so cannot wait to try it.
Goat will be a oval racer and the Ferrari will be tuned as best I can for the road course. This Ferrari is one of those cars that not many raved about, but they were some great runners. And that was 5+ years ago. The GTO, well...it never really turned a lot of folks on, but it should have. A cool hunk of Amercian, gas guzzling iron that with a little help can be turned into a great runner.

Thanks again Bruce...your specials section is an addictive sin and I troll it without shame. :)
Dickie...sorry again, but the "F1" wheels will be used for pure redneck racing.

Now let's see if I can pull this off without breaking something :auto-layrubber:
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Re: Old meets New...Project: Carrera Refit

Postby Burtonbr » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:39 pm

The GTO was one of the first cars I bought, though I started with the Night racers set that had the trans-am and chevelle so it fit in nicely. I really like those GTO's and will enjoy seeing how you tune and transform it.
Burtonbr

Postby nhdungeonracer » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:48 pm

nhdungeonracer
SCC Mechanic

Postby Cincyslots » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:15 am

man that mail man is fast.

enjoy,
bruce
Cincyslots
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dangermouse » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:32 am

I picked up a Carrera set 2nd hand as my first foray back into slot cars and it a GTO and Cuda included - I sold the set but kept the cars :)

sweet looking rides

DM
Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BRP32 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:36 am

I have the same 575 Ferrari and I am surprised they are not more popular with racers considering how well they run?

Mine has sillies on the rear and it tears up the track. People in the club I race with can't believe it is a carrera.......

It holds its own quite nicely!

As for the carrera GTOs, you have seen my handy work with them in past posts. They run best with a monogram stocker chassis placed under the GTO body and I have also made Saturday night bombers by placing this body on a scaley IRL chassis too......

Whatever you do to them Enjoy!!!! :D :D :D
BRP32
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:12 am

It'll be interesting to see how you get that front motored the Goat to run with it's mid motored brethren.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:57 am

Yes, it will be sir.

I will share some pics soon, there is a challenge here with the GTO.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:37 am

I think front motored car handling can be conquered. Weight is weight and it can be balanced by adding more weight elsewhere. Correcting nasty harmonics in the driveline is the killer IMHO. If a guy fixes that, then he has a clean slate to build upon.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:55 am

Replacing any springs with good old ink pen tubing works wonders.

When I get home, I'll snap a photo of my plan :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby hoganracing » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:11 am

hoganracing
Frequent Flyer

Postby BRP32 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:18 am

I say scrap that carrera chassis under that GTO body and slap a monogram/revell stocker chassis up under that GTO body! :P :P :P

Easy Peasy with great performance results! Mine compete nicely with my field of vintage monogram stockers. I've converted all my carrera stockers to the monogram chassis and they all perform great and allows me a huge field of cars to race with each other.......

Just my warped 2 cents!

But what do I know? :D :D :D

Bolton's Speed Shop
BRP32
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:24 pm

Yes Patrick, cheapo Bic ink pen tubes.

Well, I am stubborn...I want to try and use this chassis...but a new challenge has presented itself.

No longer front motor! GOOD! I like the pod inline.

The bad? The front guide is almost in the front seat. I almost wish it was the older chassis as the guide is far enough up front.

So, time to have more coffee with it and maybe a different chassis is in the future.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby BRP32 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:46 pm

I didn't realize Carrera changed the chassis under them to the one you have pictured?

All the chassis I had under mine were the older chassis style from years ago.

Regardless all mine either got traded off or to the recycling bin.....

Good luck with your build.

I'm sure you will work your magic on it!

Can't wait to see your progress as it moves along.

Bolton's Speed Shop.......
BRP32
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:12 pm

That's a new one for me as I had only seen the front motored chassis in the Goat. You are right about the placement of the guide Harry. But you mentioned BNova so I wonder if may have something up your sleeve.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale