[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - I just learned a valuable lesson...

I just learned a valuable lesson...

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

I just learned a valuable lesson...

Postby dreinecke » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:41 pm

I have some family friends over occasionally to race. As non-slotters, they use my cars. I usually have the T/A cars out, but not my resins or my collectables ;) Thank goodness for that!

I used to use the SCX NASCARS for these types of events, but as I've gotten rid of almost all of them, it seems like I'll be picking up some high-impact Scalextric cars or telling them to bring their own cars.

Anyway, their young teenage son could NOT listen regarding hitting people and going full-tilt on restarts and constantly attempting to NERF folks off. His dad and I were not amused and finally told him he couldn't drive. Not before he almost completely destroyed a Pioneer notch-back, and another that is missing most of the paint I did on it. What ticks me off is that he said one car was fine, and I just got back down to the basement to clean up. Guess what I found?

Anyone got just the body of the #22 Bill Maier car? My roof is just about broken off and is completely cracked n half. The rest of the car and parts are fine.

That learned me. I usually tell myself that they are just toy cars, but this is honestly the first time I have had someone attempting to break stuff. :violence-smack:
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Re: I just learned a valuable lesson...

Postby ElSecundo » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:51 pm

That bites, sorry to hear it! Part of the joy of the hobby is the care that we put into it. It's pretty rotten when somebody won't treat it with the same care.

Just keep telling yourself that he'll have kids just like him one day. :)
ElSecundo
The Great One

Postby FootScoot » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:52 pm

Honestly that would tick me off. :evil: I would feel bad if I had done something like that, especially if it was someone elses car. I would at least offer to replace it. :oops:
FootScoot
Mini Model Master

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:59 pm

Yes, that stings. Funny...when we are oval racing here, if I get nerfed and my car goes flying and gets busted...it's all good :)

But that's racin'. I want that kinda contact. Risk I take and happy too. Some of these cars have some great memories from that kinda action.

But to just have someone break them to just break them isn't fun at all.

I'll donate my spare Pony to replace it.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby crossovercrazy » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:49 pm

Dave,

Next time I would have them stand in a bucket of water, and have them hook up their controller alligator clips without the boot coverings. It would be worth the blown fuse (or just hardwire the circuit) - I would spring for it if you videotaped it for me!

I would also ask to borrow his I-Phone, and his video game system - and go to town on it!
crossovercrazy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby goosenapper » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:58 am

goosenapper
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:44 am

Gents - all good suggestions, but I think the electroshock treatment is my favorite...not surprised to see it come from Mike ;)

Harry - thanks, but don't tear up your spares, I'll see if I can find a body only.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby dreinecke » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:51 am

Harry - I'm with you on the fact that if I break the car and race it and get rub marks that is fine. It is my car after all and those marks were earned.

Someone driving like a complete idiot for no reason and then hiding the fact that they busted my car chaps my hide.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby ElSecundo » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:56 am

ElSecundo
The Great One

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:05 am

That is why I built an individual voltage adjustment box for each lane. If you want to play with my toys like a jack a$$, fine, you get to play on 4 volts. The adjustment is remote from the drivers stations so it isn't accessible to the offending party.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BRP32 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:16 am

I'm thinking that individual wouldn't be invited back to race on my track ever again but that is just me......

Might make for an uncomfortable situation regarding your relationship with his Dad but sometimes that is what it takes to get your point across...

They could of at least did the right thing in offering to buy you a replacement considering how much these cars cost?

Unfortunately in society these days people aren't considerate like that.....

Everything seems to be about "Me" only and no one else or their feelings or how it effects others.

Just my take and experience I guess. Sorry to ramble. I will get off my soap box now....
BRP32
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RazorJon » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:46 am

I had the same thing happen to me, and that young man is not allowed back

I think to some new racers its just about wrecking, and they never have their own car
RazorJon
Tire Razor Guy

Postby Fast Co. » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:46 am

Sorry to hear about that David.

I can relate. Years ago, when I had my Ninco track set up, I had my nephew and a couple of his friends over. They thrashed my magnet Scaley F1 cars at 14.8 volts until the cars were so wasted that they ended up in my parts box.

More recently a newbie on my routed track kept crashing cars after I had repeatedly told him to slow down in the turns. I hadn't realized until later that evening how many cars he trashed. Apparently, he felt compelled to try out most of the cars on my shelves. Many had minor damage like missing mirrors or headlight covers. That kind of damage doesn't bother me - in time it happens with the best of care - and despite this sort of damage I still invite newbies to my track to get a taste of what slot racing is all about. But later I found my mint condition Scaley Aston Martin DBR9 missing it's rear wing. When I found the wing it was missing a strut and endplate. I never found the strut to this day. It's particularly bothersome when certain body parts are not available as spares. What kills me is this guy just put the car back on the shelf without mention of the damage done, an offer to make amends or even a simple apology.

Steve
Fast Co.
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Wolseley Hornet » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:55 am

Sorry to hear about your 'lesson'.

Perhaps you could prevail upon the little s**t's parent to deliver a lesson of his own!

That, and make it clear you won't have said little s**t in the house again.

Spare the rod . . . and all that.

David.
Wolseley Hornet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BRS Hobbies » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:02 pm

David,

Sorry to hear about the damage to the car. In addition to picking up some high-impact Scalextric cars or telling them to bring their own cars, crash and burn style racing works really good to get anyone who is not interested in really racing off the track. Basically, each heat each driver gets 1 to 3 offs before being parked in the heat. We count an off as anytime your car leaves the slot regardless if your car was taken out by another car or not. This puts some defensive strategy in place, in that you have to be careful when you pass and also aware of other cars that you are racing against. I find the racing to be a lot of fun this way since the primary goal is to stay on the track and finish the heat compared to just going as fast as you can every lap.

Best regards,
Brian
BRS Hobbies
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale