[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - I just learned a valuable lesson...

I just learned a valuable lesson...

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Re: I just learned a valuable lesson...

Postby Austin » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:19 pm

Sorry to hear that

When my sons friends come all they use the black window scalextrix cars, If they can handle that then they can move up. If they do break anything they need to tell me or my son right away so it can be repaired. If I find it later all hell comes to visit.
Austin
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby choc-ice » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:22 pm

I had something similar when I was displaying my cars at a trade show. Cars that the night before I was sweating blood over to get it looking just right...

I had a variable power supply for the track and for some kids it was at 7V so they could do the whole lap flat out!

Start off slow and let them earn the right to get faster. Is advice I wish I'd taken at the start of the show :(
choc-ice
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TsgtRet » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:32 pm

"These are just this old guys toys, not like it's an Xbox or something like that....." Unfortunately, a pretty common attitude. I would explain to Dad in son's presence exactly what the situation is and the time and cost invested and at that point tell them son is banished from Palmer Divide.

Alternatively you could take son out behind the barn but 20 years to life is a high price to pay for a few minutes fun!
TsgtRet
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SpeedyNH » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:36 pm

don't forget to ground the bucket!
SpeedyNH
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:46 pm

I like the "boss" voltage adjustment on each lane idea. That's worth doing and easy.

Like David, I keep a box of visitor cars that are indestructible, but fun looking. Those indestructible Scalextrics are great to repaint for this purpose.

The worst we had was a drunk slopping a drink on the track and snatching up cars for "cleaning the tires" on the cars almost every lap during an enduro.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby ElectricDreamsTech » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:56 pm

Call Bob at Pioneer USA. (253)820-9017. He usually has extra bodies and who knows what else lying around from cars that have been taken apart for one reason or another. BTW, we understand they think they will get the new Camaro sometime next month.

ED Tech
ElectricDreamsTech

Postby dreinecke » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:00 pm

I have adjustable voltage and had turned it down, but there was no fixing the driver. We stopped early as his dad was embarrassed and I was pretty hot. If he ever wants to drive again, he'll have to bring cars AND abide by my rules or I'll be done with him. I'd thought of a track call button, but have NEVER needed it before.

Thanks for the tip on the bodies, I'll give them a shout.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby balsaworks » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:23 am

Sometimes I wonder if all the things that are available to download for free over the net today give kids a distorted view of the time, money and effort that is actually involved in producing anything of any worth.

Another thing; when you repair that car - just think how lucky you are to be able to keep that kid out of your basement - imagine being forced to deal with him on a daily basis, like his parents have to...
balsaworks
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ElSecundo » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:52 am

A good phrase for it might be "simulation sickness". These kids are raised on the 'reset/do over' button, and there's no permanence to their actions. If you crash in Forza or Gran Turismo, your car is magically restored to health once the race is over.

Was he doing stuff like ramming cars after they came off?
ElSecundo
The Great One

Postby ElSecundo » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:50 am

Sometimes the solution (might even be less expensive) is to give him a car. Just give it to him. Let him care about the mirrors and the wing on his car, and you might see him change his tune (without damaging the relationship).
ElSecundo
The Great One

Postby SpeedyNH » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:07 pm

yeah, unfortunately, as i find out all too often, there is no <CTL>-<Z> in real life... what a shame.
speedy
SpeedyNH
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Burglar » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:44 pm

I'd just take his phone as a deposit next time, and tell him that if he deliberately breaks your cars or anything else you will simply shove it down the front of your underwear. That would seem to be enough of a threat to put a teenager on best behaviour. They only understand 'gross'
Burglar

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:44 am

I am afraid that there wouldn't be a next time around here for behaviour that egregious. Another tactic for me is that I have saved a pretty decent number of Artin cars that I put out for the kids. Those old Artin GT and DTM cars are pretty bulletproof. I also use SCX Nascars for much the same reason. I keep only enough SCX cars to fill each lane plus one spare for guest purposes and no more.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby bkrownd » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:24 pm

bkrownd
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Previous

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale