[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - One of the cars that "Re-Started" it all

One of the cars that "Re-Started" it all

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

One of the cars that "Re-Started" it all

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:21 pm

Everyone has an opinion about what made our hobby what it is today. I feel there is no way to pinpoint just one factor as our hobby benefitted from a number of them almost simultaneously.
Yet there is no doubt that Fly Car Model did their fare share of changing how our slot cars are today.

This is one of the models that helped. Not just this particular paint scheme/team, but the model overall.

It did not matter that Fly did not do a perfect job in scale. Back then we were just flabbergasted about having a slot car that looked this good compared to what others were offering.

This particular car is one I picked on looks alone. I like being a bit different at times, and when my racing friends were getting all the red prancing horses they could, I chose this one instead :)

The miles I put on the original might be countless. It traveled with me on almost every slot car adventure we took. It had seen it's fair share of tuning...then re-tuning...and then even more tuning. Finally it had seen too much. I bought another one just like it and retired the original. The second one found another home along the way.

With the original having more cracks in the chassis than you can count, all wheels hubs repaired twice, and of course the mirrors lone gone...I searched for another.

Easily found...not so easy to pay for :)

Thanks to Lee (Listerstorm) I have it once more and it will be tuned and raced right along side the T70 like it did back then.

Thanks Lee. This will be a fun project to do.

No they are not perfect. Yes they need work. I did not care then and do not care now. These models are just too nice not to be brought onto the track and enjoyed.:)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Re: One of the cars that "Re-Started" it all

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:27 pm

By all means come on down and start going through the "Boneyard" :)

There really are Fly cars in there...just scrape the top layer of dirt off, you will find them.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby JULES » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:08 pm

I got rid of a stack of slot cars when I started Pioneer. I kept a few back for 'research' reasons. That yellow #23 Ferrari was one of them. After I gave it a good run I dissected it to learn how they put them together. I did this with loads of Fly cars. I still have them all in pieces and that is probably the way they will stay. Not enough rainy days to even think about nailing them back together.

Jules
JULES
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Ember » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:18 pm

I have only two Fly cars in my collection. My cars are split into two sections. The drivers or will be drivers when I get around to setting them up properly. And the photographic models. Guess which category the Fly offerings sit in?

The yellow really does suit it well.

I always wondered why there were so many who raved about Fly. When I was given this one I started to understand.
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Location: South western corner of the south eastern bit of Downunder

Postby chappyman66 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:01 pm

Love the Fly Classics. It's the standard go-to class for the second race whenever our group gets together.
For me it was the 90s Ninco GTs - the McLaren F1GTR and the the Porsche GT-1, especially that lovely Blue Coral livery. Might have something to do with following the British GT series at the time....
The Fly Marcos and Venturi of the time were horrible.....but then the Classics came out and they were too good to not own.
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:46 pm

Ahhh, 90s Ninco GT's. I do like those a great deal as well.

Jules, I hate to hear you suffer with all that junk at your feet. I'll dispose of it for you.

Embs always has the best pics. You just made those even more attractive.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:16 pm

I have a brace of Venturis that are so smooth, you think about NSR.

It could be because the guts are NSR.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby ListerStormGT » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:46 pm

Glad to see it made it there safely Boss! Enjoy it.. I knew you would, so now you can.... :mrgreen:
ListerStormGT
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby nhdungeonracer » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:42 am

nhdungeonracer
SCC Mechanic

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale