[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Older models you still race?

Older models you still race?

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Older models you still race?

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:49 pm

What older models still see a fair amount of track time for you?

We have several series here that still get prime time action even though some are 10 years+ in age.

I'll bet some of you have some go-to cars that bring back some memories.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Re: Older models you still race?

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:51 pm

Well, I'm an older model and I race! Sort of.

I suppose the small European cars come out of the box more than anything else. NSU, Minis, Porsche 356, Abarths, VWs, all the little guys.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby AllanI » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:36 am

We run a class for Johnson motor powered old Scaley cars. This is my Porsche, slightly reworked in the chassis department.

We also run a class for the older Scaley F1s. This is my Renault.

And my Embassy Hill.

Allan
AllanI

Postby dreinecke » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:00 am

Allan - those are fabulous! Nice work on the chassis and repaints!

I still run my old Scaley T/A cars - those are 10 years old and my Ninco Classics. My oldest though are my MRRC GP cars I restored a while ago. I simply love those things!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby MoparGreg » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:58 am

MoparGreg
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:10 am

I see something interesting developing here. The old heads of the hobby are going back so far in history that the original question is becoming more interesting because the cars are so much older than where the question began. Is there anyone who still races the old Monogram kit cars? How about the insanely fast Garvic, Russkit, or Cox cars from the middle 1960s?
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:23 am

I have a pair of Artin Mercedes DTM's that have been lightly tuned that I still love to play with. They have stock axles, gears, guide, wheels AND tires. I have done all of the usual Artin tuning tricks of trimming & stabilizing the axles and added the old green endbell motors for more power. These cars are a blast to drive and they handle very well on my particle board, oil base stained wood track without magnetic attraction.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappyman66 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:38 am

Huh. I must be really old.......but I don't feel that way :lol:
Yes, I still run my Artin cars. They are a blast and cheap so they are often the cars for new folks to try the track. I also have several old Ninco GT cars (Mclaren short tails, Ferrari F-50, SCX F-40, etc) that I enjoy. And yes, several Monogram and Revell and Strombecker cars with modern silicone tires that get out to play every once in awhile.
I also have several cars with a simple cast resin chassis and NC-1 class motors with old Patto's clear bodies. Cheap and easy to make, and pretty well matched for racing. They are not fast, but I always like even racing more than raw speed.
Then there are the scratchbuilt cars like the Monogram snaptite F-40 with a motor glued into the rear end just for kicks, etc......
I guess I have fewer new cars than I have old cars..... :D
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby litng1 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:04 pm

Mine ant old lol.Ninco supra is one of my fav.

litng1 from Bardstown ky.
litng1

Postby DAVE » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:13 pm

Bensenville Bombers still run Ninco Classics at nearly every race night.
DAVE
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby VenturaAlfa » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:29 pm

I have several old Revell cars (Ferrari, Mercedes, Corvette and Aston Martin) that I got in 1965 that still see track time as well as Strombecker Cheetahs and Lola T160's and I also have several Cox magenesium chassis ford GT's and a couple of Cox sidewinder plastic chassis that still see track from time to time.

My track in major part is the original Revell 1965 track that I got for Christmas as a kid although it now uses a pyramid power supply and professor motor or Parma controllers and has had a substantial amount of track added to it to make it a 75 foot track.
VenturaAlfa
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:38 pm

dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby Dangermouse » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:49 pm

Ninco NC-1 cars are a favourite especially on the board tracks. We run classics, DTM, GT (McLaren, F-50) and Classic Rally cars. The only trouble with this is new guys can find it hard to get cars - because people think that being old they are rare collectibles and ask silly money for them, thus you have to be patient and astute in your buying. Hence in some cases allow re-motored cars.

cheers
David
Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:37 pm

David - Tell them to check out Pendles - they have the Jags and the 356 cars minus the motors very cheap. Then toss in an M/T-1 and you'd be dead even with the NC powered cars.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby dreinecke » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:32 am

RM - those are fantastic cars with a little tuning! Great collection!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Next

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale