[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Welcome ALL Newcomers!

Welcome ALL Newcomers!

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Re: Welcome ALL Newcomers!

Postby PetesLightKits » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:56 pm

Just signed on here at HRW. Not new to slots (been into 1/32 since about 2006) or forums (on another forum as LegoPete). Thought I would spread my wings a bit and see what was beyond the one other forum site I am on. So far looks pretty darn good.

Peter
PetesLightKits
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Fast_Eddie » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:15 pm

Hello everyone! New member here with a few questions :D
First off a little background. I started getting back into building plastic scale models again after many many years away from it ( i am 53 years old ) and one day while looking for a new kit online I stumbled across some slot car kits you could build. Well I followed a few links and found out there were 1:24 and 1:32 scale slot car tracks still out there being sold!!! :scared-eek: :banana-dance:
Long story short I wound up getting the Carrera 80's flashback set. Also got some extra's to get me started:
* Banked curve
* Pit lane
* Starting tree
*app connect (racing app)
* 2 extra cars (vette, 57 Chevy)

For right now I have a 8x4 sheet of plywood on top of a pool table but plan on building a 2 wall table once the pool table is gone. So far I have built 2 track layouts made up as I went along. Either one seems to not fit very good.One track will pop out when you try to re-connect another section. And when i do get to racing sections of track will come apart.So do i need specific track layouts for carrea ? If so where can i find them? Carrera had some on their website some months ago (PDF files) but they are gone now.
Fast_Eddie

Postby chappy » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:29 pm

Here Eddie, try this from one of our forum sponsors.
http://original.cincyslots.com/these_ar ... k_plan.htm

Good luck
Bob
chappy
Minister of Slot Racing

Postby Fast_Eddie » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:58 am

Problem fixed! :) I had the red connecting links upside down :teasing-dunce:
Fast_Eddie

Postby Challenger 72 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:31 pm

Thank you for letting me join. I am a little on the older side as I I had the Aurora T-Jets set when I was younger and raced the larger scale on a track that was part of a bowling alley. I now have the urge to have a go at it again so I am waiting for my 1/32 Scalextric American Racers set to be delivered.Clearing the spare room upstairs just for that. I am sure that it will be as much fun as I remembered. :text-thankyouyellow:
Challenger 72

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:09 pm

Welcome! Many of us on that "older side" sadly...haha. Have fun coming back.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Challenger 72 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:43 pm

Thank you sir, glad that I am not alone in the age thing.
Challenger 72

Postby slothead » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:19 pm

Many of us have been into slot cars since being kids in the 60's. I think a fair estimate would say I got my first set for Christmas about 58 years ago. Now I have 2 routed wood tracks in the barn and well over 100 cars - mostly replicas of cars from the 60s & 70s.

Welcome aboard. This is a great place to see what others are doing, ask questions, and find your own way to enjoy the hobby. Share your thoughts so we can learn from you too.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby Cold Rider » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:44 am

Allo everyone :text-imnewhere: , I visited HRW a few time and since I was getting back into SC--> (but this time the BIG scale ) , as a kid :music-rockout: HO was great [ 110' track back then] ,still is ;-) so registering up was a logical decision and a good idea ,I'm up to 40' (iz too shorts ) of track now I planned to add up to it until my 12x7 space is crammed with tracks! I researched allots on layouts ,picked quite a few ideas ,multi leveled looks really doable and will add many feet .I am terribad with using a computer and that stuff but quite handy with electrics , electronics (hardware) and putting stuff together in a functional way . -->Edit: should have added that I chosen Carrera tracks ,the info I found say's I can run 1/43 -1/32 -1/24 with a swap of power feed so made sense to get those tracks .I love the quality connections and easy access to the rails to add power everywhere I feel like to have steady voltage tension .no need to spend on shoulders since it's easy enough to find 8mm materials to make them myself :auto-checkeredflag: :flags-canada:

:?: As I said I am terribad with computer usage and tried to find information about "Class :?: " and "Groups :?: " also looked for technical books about Slot Cars ,like "How To's :?: " .If you read this and know where such information or book can be found I would appreciate a link to them in a PM so that I actually get them ,sadly so many time I just lost my own question threads (if that's how they are called :oops: )

I will try to understand how to add pics in my communications ,this one been tougher for me than many other stuff computer wise .

:text-thankyouyellow: ,if you think some info could be useful to me don't hesitate to message it to me (links PLS ! :handgestures-thumbup: )
Cold Rider

Postby Bronco10 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:28 pm

Hello from new forum member, been browsing and reading for awhile, so might as well join! Thanks, lots of great info here!

I was club racing on routed wood tracks without magnets, but no longer have that available as the track in our area closed (ran on regulated 10 volts iirc). I'm looking at Carrera and Scalextric plastic track set for a fun home setup, pros and cons to both.
I like the wider lane spacing or Carrera, but dislike thumb controllers.
Scalextric regular trigger controllers, but narrower lane spacing.
Nice to have room to wiggle sometimes especially when passing.

I'll be probably be setting up in my garage for now, later on I need to add some ceiling beams, sheetrock and insulation, but that's a big project and will take time. Later I want to route my own wood track, love running magnet free, also need to build a larger proper table. I've got my wood track cars still setup from before that I'll want to run, and have several unbuilt NIB. I've got a Professor Motor Pro Scale Racer controller with adjustable brakes and sensitivity.

Which track Scalextric or Carrera do you prefer and why? Would the included controllers be good enough or Professor Motor low cost home set use or?
Bronco10

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:13 pm

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Bronco10 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:50 pm

Thank you! Forgot to mention getting started with hand me down Aurora Model Motoring set and ThunderJet cars. Later graduated to brand new Jackie Stewart AFX 4 lane race set. :)

I’ve got too many projects , therefore maybe not so temporary lol. I’ve already got Scaley, Carrera, Slot-It, Policar, NSR brand cars and can find more cars that I like from all, so that’s not a problem. I love collecting the cars!

I mentioned the controllers but if included ones are good enough for small home track, at least for now, then no need to swap them. I’ve not tried running any plastic track for probably 15 years, tried 1:24 scale something at LHS and can’t remember controllers. It was an oval or figure 8 with a pair of 1960s or 1970s hardbody NASCAR sedans. Cars were a handful on tiny track (way overgeared) and not much fun.
Bronco10

Postby slothead » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:41 pm

When I got back into slot cars about 12 years ago I started with a digital Scalextric set on a saw horse table. Magnet cars on a plastic track are way too fast for me. My grandson loved it but then I was the one picking the cars up off the floor and making repairs. The cornering and handling was due to the magnetic force, and once that was exceeded the cars became projectiles. So, I routed my first track, a 4'x14' oval that I'm still racing on today. I bought Professor Motor controllers that plugged right into the Scalextric powerbase and soldered wires from the bottom of the rails to the copper tape on the routed track - works like a charm. For years I used the wall wart from the set for power, then got a 90 Watt Lionel train transformer with adjustable voltage.

A few years ago I routed a separate road course with its own adjustable power supply and field of cars on a table mounted on casters, and am able to use either as I choose. It may take awhile to get the setup you want, but it will be worth it. Enjoy the journey.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby chappyman66 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:58 pm

Welcome, Bronco10!
My opinion: Carrera track for the lane space and slot depth (Scaley is much shallower).
You can arrange whatever power and controllers you want....the group I race with runs on a Carrera track with Parma controllers and two independent power supplies to balance the lanes.

Glad to have you here!
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Bronco10 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:37 pm

Harry, thanks for the input and pretty settled on Carrera track after comparing both at LHS, surprised how much better the Carrera track seems in the hands. Wider lane spacing is nicer for close racing too. I checked out the PM controller and wondering how it compares to the other lower end versions without adjustable knobs.

Slothead, thanks for input and agree wood tracks are more fun, but will try routing my own later when I have more time. I've got a nice adjustable power supply about a year ago for powering my Tire Razor and bought one that will run most any pair of slotcars on a nice size track, just in case.

Chappyman, thanks for input, Chapparal is one of my favorite race cars ever and so I bought a Slot-It version with the newer chassis, bought a second one to keep nib just in case they discontinue it.

Got my table drawn up but still in my head, not on paper. :)
Last edited by Bronco10 on Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bronco10

PreviousNext

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale