Scorpius Wireless Controller

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Re: Scorpius Wireless Controller

Postby Dangermouse » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:55 am

Hey Bob

hope it goes well for you, so far I haven't needed to change any of the default power curves I have found a good enough range in there to cover most of my cars. I did change one setting to try out the process but rarely use that configuration.

There is a draw back to a wireless controller. I got down a box of bits and pieces looking for something the other night. Having secured the piece I wanted and added it to the car I couldn't find my controller - 5 mins of looking later it dawned on me to check the box - sure enough I had packed it away with the other parts.

David
Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Modlerbob » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:13 am

I'm wondering whether I should try it on a commercial track with one of my Parma FCR cars. I'm afraid the motor might overheat the WAM and I don't want to burn it out. I'm OK with just using it with 1/32 cars.
Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby oldstromguy » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:26 am

Bob,
You basically just got to the question(s) I wanted to ask.
Can the controller be used for all scales?
I run 1/43 (at 6-12 volts), and 1/32 (at 8-15 volts) on the same track.
Can this controller handle all that?
dennis
oldstromguy

Postby Modlerbob » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:55 am

Dennis, the controller works equally well with my 1/43 cars at higher voltages. It's not volts I'm worried about as much as it is the current draw of the 1/24 motors. they run at 12v but draw a lot more current. I have sent an e-mail to Rick Field owner of Scorpius regarding this matter and once he has responded I will relay the answer here.
Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Modlerbob » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:31 pm

OK, a couple of items. I checked with Rick Fields the owner of Scorpius about the compatibility of the WAM with 1/24th scale slot car motors and he replied that it works well with stock Parma 16D motors but might cut out using super 16D motors or other higher power motors. He also stated that trying such motors won't damage the circuitry in the WAM but they may not run properly. I used it today with a 1/32 car that had a TRSF motor and it ran fine, as a matter of fact it was too fast for the track we were running on so I put in in training mode and set the power at 70% which tamed the beast. It doesn't just limit the top voltage but rather scales the whole power range.

We also ran the jacksonville portion of the crystal case cover proxy race, no spoiler here, and it performed thru all 9 heats without any overheating. Charles Neal will be reporting the results and the method we used for contesting the cars. I am totally sold on this controller and will only keep my others as backups or loaners.
Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Previous

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale