[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - New chassis from Pro-Track Corp.

New chassis from Pro-Track Corp.

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Re: New chassis from Pro-Track Corp.

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:27 pm

I care, I'm here Huckleberry :)

Look like magnets don't they?
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Jesla » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:12 pm

That's what they look like….and what I am afraid they will turn out to be.

To me it looks under engineered and over built but it ain't my baby.

Suggestions:
CNC the crap out of it so I could put the weight where I want it.
Make it a lot cheaper….it's not far from the cost of one of those European Erector Set chassis'.
Jesla
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Modlerbob » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:49 pm

Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby FootScoot » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:42 am

You would think that they would have found a better crown gear for such a nice chassis. $85 is bit much for a RTR chassis, maybe $65 without a body. You're right I believe most home racers will pass on this one. :)
FootScoot
Mini Model Master

Postby dreinecke » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:58 am

Nice write up Bob. I appreciate the review.

I too will pass at the price point. I don't think my home track would be the best place for it. Somebody just repop an old 1:32 Revell chassis for Pete's sake!!!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby ElSecundo » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:50 am

Bob, maybe you can confirm this, but looking at the construction of the frant axle carriers, there should be 8 possible wheelbases instead of 4.

Take each front axle carrier, rotate it 180 degrees, and mount it on the opposite side of the chassis. Aren't the carriers built to do this, or is there some detail we can't see in the pictures that would prevent this?

That would explain why the front axle carriers are drilled asymmetrically -- you'd get four distinct axle positions with just two drilling operations.
ElSecundo
The Great One

Postby Florida_Slotter » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:09 pm

Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Postby ElSecundo » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:15 pm

ElSecundo
The Great One

Postby Florida_Slotter » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:37 pm

Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Postby Modlerbob » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:15 pm

Later this evening or maybe tomorrow I will verify your observations about the front uprights.
Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Modlerbob » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:36 pm

OK, flipping the front uprights around is possible and fairly easy moving both front axle positions forward 0.15" This makes the maximum wheelbase 3.40". You can calculate the three other additional wheel bases from this data. I drove the car some tonight with the Saleen body on it and it just seems to get better and better.
Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Modlerbob » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:50 am

Update from Pro Track. Yesterday, while I was at Greg Walker's "The Race Place" I received a mild surprise. Greg told me I had a $20 credit due to the fact that the owner of Pro Track, after gauging the market, has decided to reduce the price of the all up complete rtr chassis to $60. The bare chassis, less motor, axles, gears, bushings and etc. will be $30. The rtr chassis will be available with at least two different PLAFIT motors. The high rpm motor that I replaced in mine and the #8636 Pointer motor 2. I installed that motor in my car last night and it seems on par with the 14K Ninco 1 motor. Much milder and easier to drive. I plan to experiment with some different gear ratios as this motor seems to have tons of brakes.

At this price point and given it's versatility I think this chassis is a good buy. Whether it catches on remains to be seen.
Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Czar » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:18 am

Durability is one thing for the home racer, but stupid fast is something entirely different. If you can't enjoy running your car on your home track, why buy it? Are we actually pushing our way into another "Great Slots Divide"? Will there be a change in home racing because the manufacturers are pushing commercial track performance? Once the racing leaves the basements and enters the commercial arena we will have come full circle and slot racing will suffer in general as it did before.
Czar
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Modlerbob » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:39 am

That bridge was crossed a long time ago. This chassis, I think, will be at home in both arenas. It can be built up optimized for home plastic tracks or for larger mdf routed club raceways and of course even larger commercial tracks. I can't imagine how it will hurt or destroy the hobby.
Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Florida_Slotter » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:06 am

This could be the begining of some new thinking.

Buy a single chassis, a couple of different
Bodies
Motors
Wheels/Tires
Gears

Then you could configure a car at whatever track you want to race at.

I like it.
Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Previous

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale