[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Group 5 Racing Inspiration - Only at HRW!

Group 5 Racing Inspiration - Only at HRW!

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Group 5 Racing Inspiration - Only at HRW!

Postby Florida_Slotter » Tue May 28, 2013 9:02 am

Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Re: Group 5 Racing Inspiration - Only at HRW!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Tue May 28, 2013 9:43 am

Oldtimer's Disease. Me too. I once wrote about a chassis someone recommended that cost $58 in California that was almost identical to the Pendleslots PRS that costs around $24 complete with all running parts, shipped. WRONG! What I saw was in the same position on the next page. The one they were talking about was $20-something. I went back to look and the expensive one looked nothing like the one they were talking about that was almost a twin to the PRS. Duh.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Tue May 28, 2013 10:04 am

Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Florida_Slotter » Tue May 28, 2013 10:53 am

Nor Cal Mike,

I fully understand the "handful" comment about the Sideways car. But I think that just makes it so much more desirable, at least for me.

Last week my good racing buddy, ModlerBob, had his Lancia out and I grabbed by "Wurth" Capri out. We diced for a long time and the only advantage that either of us could garner was when the other got on the throttle a bit too early coming out of a turn and got the car slightly sideways. We were running at 9.25 volts and the cars are quite enjoyable at that voltage, yet still much be driven.

Personally I like the powerband of the Flat-6 motor. It's a "torquer", so it has a lot of low end grunt to come out of a corner, as long as the throttle finger understands the concept of 'easing' on the power.

The real Group 5 cars were quite a handful to drive fast, so I tend to like the Sideways cars.

BTW - I would like to say "Thank You" for a comment you made over on another forum about putting a brass slab on the bottom of the Rev-O-Gram cars. My Monogram stock cars have come alive. I'm hoping they will run along with the Carrera stock cars now. I'll let you know.
Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Tue May 28, 2013 11:59 am

I hear ya about how it is fun running cars that are a bit of a handful. However the extra torque doesn't equate to better lap times on my track. The lap times between all three of my Capri's are near identical. I don't have a variable power supply as I run on a solar charged lead acid battery. I haven't set up that particular road track (I have two) with diode voltage limiters yet.

I forgot about that Monogram Stocker post. I set all of my stockers/ Nascar type cars up to run on my D oval. Cars that are top heavy don't run very well on the D because they will barrel roll upon braking in the D section. I'd rather they slide first, roll last. With the add weight, those Monogram stockers are some of my favorites.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Modlerbob » Tue May 28, 2013 2:46 pm

On short tracks (my definition would be under 100 ft. with no straight longer than 16 ft. I prefer the slot.It inline or sidewinder set up over the flat-6 anglewinder. But having said that the Lancia Beta Monte Carlo with the flat-6 is a fun beast to drive for short stints.
Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Florida_Slotter » Tue May 28, 2013 3:04 pm

Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Tue May 28, 2013 4:12 pm

The sideways pod has the factory added cut-out that allows the Slot.it inline or sidewinder pods to mount in to the existing Sideways pod.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Florida_Slotter » Tue May 28, 2013 7:49 pm

Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Tue May 28, 2013 8:56 pm

Woops, I stand corrected. I haven't looked at my car in awhile but I see what you mean. I recall one of the reviews stating that you can put a Slot.it pod in and my memory told me it went into the pod.
Mike
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby FootScoot » Wed May 29, 2013 8:31 pm

Just got my Lancia yesterday. Took it apart to see what makes it tick. Same layout as the Capri. Should be a great car. :)
FootScoot
Mini Model Master

Postby Florida_Slotter » Wed May 29, 2013 9:27 pm

Footscoot,

The Lancia is as good as the Capri. It depends on who tries to overdrive their car as to who is leading at the Start / Finish line. Great cars both of them. But you really have to stay "up on the wheel" all the time!
Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale