[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - My "Shelby Mustang"

My "Shelby Mustang"

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

My "Shelby Mustang"

Postby Florida_Slotter » Sun May 26, 2013 9:23 am

Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Re: My "Shelby Mustang"

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun May 26, 2013 9:32 am

That is cool Marty. I need more practice with that chassis, but you seem to have it down pat.

Will follow this!
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby DHansen » Sun May 26, 2013 9:35 am

Looking good so far. Keep us posted.
DHansen
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Florida_Slotter » Sun May 26, 2013 10:07 am

Harry,

One of the main reasons I like the chassis is that you can make it inline or sidewinder by just changing the motor pod. I think that's a very cool feature.

Plus it is very adjustable to fit many applications.

Yesterday I noticed it fit another body that has been sitting in my parts box. I found another set of body mounts and now it too fits the chassis. So you can build one chassis and fit many bodies to it!

Think of the flexibility that provides!
Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Postby torquemutant » Sun May 26, 2013 3:24 pm

I have been curious about these Snap Tite static model bodies. Marty, this Mustang body that you have used here.. how does it compare with “normal” slot car bodies. Compare it to, say a Mustang Scalextric or Pioneer body. Is it heavier in weight or maybe more brittle, therefore not hold up to the “occasional” de-slotting into the wall? In your opinion, do the static model bodies really offer us more than just a pretty face? I wonder about this because just buying a new slot car body is pricey. BTW, your Mustang looks awesome. Thanks for posting. :clap:
torquemutant
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby FootScoot » Sun May 26, 2013 5:35 pm

I have the same Mustang but it's still in the box. I was going to do a brass and wire chassis for it, but I just may go with the HRS2. That would make it much easier to complete. :)
FootScoot
Mini Model Master

Postby Florida_Slotter » Sun May 26, 2013 5:49 pm

Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Postby slothead » Sun May 26, 2013 6:21 pm

The first 8 slot cars I bulit and raced on my routed oval were street stocks made from these Snap-Fit bodies fitted to extended Revel-Monogram chassis. That was about 7 years ago and they have held up fine after thousands of laps. In fact, they are the cars I Ieave out when new people want to test out the track. The fact that they are simple models (low skill) means they have fewer parts. The bodies are one piece and you only need to glue on some front and rear pieces for racing.

I used the 60's Mustang, Camaro, and GTO models from the 'Stealth' series. The same cars have been released in several versions. The newer Shelby Mustang is similar and I made that into a slot car too using an Artin chassis that later found its way under a Lindbergh '34 Ford body. The Linbergh kits are harder to use bacuse the bodies are in pieces that need to be glued together and if the racing is going to get rough I'd recommend strengthening the joints with hot glue or plastic bracing. I haven't found a need for extra bracing with the Snap-Fit bodies.

Slothead
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby Florida_Slotter » Sun May 26, 2013 7:15 pm

Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Postby dreinecke » Sun May 26, 2013 7:50 pm

Nice looking ride! Those chassis are really great!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby ourwayband » Sun May 26, 2013 7:51 pm

Nice build!!

Rusty
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Modlerbob » Mon May 27, 2013 2:14 am

Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Florida_Slotter » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:22 am

Well as promised once I had a chance to test it, I would tell you how it ran.

I don't know if this is a proper method, but after running this car around yesterday, I would certainly build another, just like it!

The car looks good going down the track. I think those SCC provided C.B. Design 17 x 11 rear wheels just set it off the way it should look. Nice healthy 'meats' in the back and 17 x 8 in front just make the stance correct.

With the H&R Hawk 18,000 rpm motor mounted in the chassis, I do believe the power delivery is right on. You can get back on the throttle in mid corner and not upset the balance of the chassis. The car just steps out a bit, directly proportional to the amount of throttle is applied. I'm happy with that!

ModlerBob grabbed one of his Scaley T/A Mustangs from his shelves and the race was on. I was able to trailer the Scaley car without much effort.

Overall the car is a win-win.

Now all I need to do is build an interior shelf, decide on which livery I want to paint it and finish it up.

I think if you build one just like it, you should be very happy with the results.
Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale