[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Front Axle Removal

Front Axle Removal

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Front Axle Removal

Postby Dodgefarmer » Wed May 22, 2013 9:48 pm

I just acquired a Carrera Maserati MC 12 and it has 1 front wheel that is on crooked. I am trying to remove the front axle and or wheel, it seems to require a significant amount of force to either remove the offending wheel or the front axle unit. Am I doing something wrong or is there a special procedure to do this? I just don't want to break anything.

Thanks
Randy
Dodgefarmer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Front Axle Removal

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Wed May 22, 2013 9:59 pm

Carrera's have splined axles. Twisting will do no good.You will have to pull straight out being careful to place the force on the hub rather than the outer wheel. I have broken more than one splined wheel by being impatient.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dodgefarmer » Wed May 22, 2013 10:04 pm

Thank You Mike that worked. Which brings up another Q?. It appears that the wheel was pressed on crooked. The wheel runs eccentric, is there a repair or do I replace it with an after market wheel and use the outer as an insert? I have not tried to get a replacement but I don't see that as being to likely.

Thanks
Randy
Dodgefarmer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu May 23, 2013 5:56 am

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby ElSecundo » Thu May 23, 2013 6:28 am

Another option, if you can't find the Carrera spares, would be to find the Scalextric spare front axle. You might need to paint the wheels black, or something, but the wheels are close enough to the Carreras that you may not even notice a difference. May not be the #1 option, but a reasonable alternative if you get stuck.
ElSecundo
The Great One

Postby Dodgefarmer » Thu May 23, 2013 7:38 am

Thanks for the replies guys I'll see what I can find. Looking at this post in the light of day I guess I should have posted it in the garage section.

Thanks
Randy
Dodgefarmer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dodgefarmer » Thu May 23, 2013 9:13 am

Well this story has a very happy ending. After Harry pointed me in the right direction I did some searching and discovered that I have the Pirelli Presentation car that takes a Carrera 89243 axle set. A google seach showed that it was in stock at LEB Hobbies for $5.99. One quick phone call to verify that it was actually in stock it is now on it's way north.

Thank You very much guys
Randy
Dodgefarmer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Thu May 23, 2013 9:27 am

For the record, Carrera has both knurled and splined axles. You can only know which you have on any given car by asking around on HRW. Knurled wheels (like the vintage NASCAR series) can be pulled by carefully twisting as you pull, splined (like the 1960 Plymouths) must be pulled straight off.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Thu May 23, 2013 9:44 am

I remember several years ago, someone posted a home made tool for pulling hard to get at wheels. Does anyone recall it? If so, How did it work?
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Thu May 23, 2013 10:08 am

That may have been me, but the cost was too much to be practical. I use a golf club head puller with homemade removable brackets. Even then, the wheels that are on knurled axles have to the turned as they come off to prevent enlarging the hole. Done properly, they will make a snug, straight fit on a 3/32 axle blank.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby DAVE » Thu May 23, 2013 2:56 pm

Conversely, the manufacturer could supply the car with the wheels pressed on straight.
DAVE
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ElSecundo » Thu May 23, 2013 3:08 pm

ElSecundo
The Great One

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale