Looking for parts source

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Looking for parts source

Postby ElSecundo » Wed May 01, 2013 10:49 am

So, if you were looking for replacements wheels and tires for your Fly March 761 (or any other of their vintage GP cars), where would you go? I'm looking for the Fly originals, not aftermarket.
ElSecundo
The Great One

Re: Looking for parts source

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed May 01, 2013 12:28 pm

I have got lucky and using the Razor have made mine work. I too have stock tires if you need them.

Yet, slower motor + small track helps reduce a lot of issues.

I am curious...what are you planning now? :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby ElSecundo » Wed May 01, 2013 12:46 pm

Thanks, guys! :)

Harry, there's a new company out that has just released a kit that doesn't happen to have wheels or tires. It's the old Brabham BT46b formula one car, which used one giant fan on the tail like the twin fans on the Chaparral 2J. The best wheels and tires for this car would probably be the Fly version, although maybe the Scalextric wheels and tires off the Ferrari 312 grand prix car might be pretty good. Who knows, maybe I should just use a Fly chassis off the March 761. I do have one with a beat-up body...

The kit is cool, but spendy. They actually try to simulate the fan, which is driven by the crown gear. So the car will probably be stupid-loud, but who cares. :)
ElSecundo
The Great One

Postby ElSecundo » Wed May 01, 2013 1:19 pm

http://www.ghost-trax.com/en

Yep, always wanted a BT46! This kit even has a 'skirt' under the chassis to help create a low pressure pocket. I'm going to guess that there is some measurable downforce when the system is set up on a flat surface, but it seems like a horrible amount of drag both on the track and at the crown gear. They'll also lose some downforce because of the slot in the track. Potentially, all this stuff will make the car run like crap, but I wanted to see it for myself. :)
ElSecundo
The Great One

Postby ElSecundo » Wed May 01, 2013 2:27 pm

For a better shot of the car and a little more info:

http://f1superswede.wordpress.com/2012/ ... e-fan-car/

It was a monster, winning its only race. Other teams and drivers came up to look and laugh at it before the 1978 Swedish GP. Laughter before the race was replaced with 'uh-oh' afterwards. :mrgreen: And then it was banned.
ElSecundo
The Great One

Postby Abarth Mike » Wed May 01, 2013 10:05 pm

Ortman has the tires. 43F

I've been looking at my March and they are 14.5mm wide!! MBslot and slot.it only make 12mm ones. You need someone with a lathe?

As you say cannibalize a Fly March?

Thinking outside the box?

O/D of Fly wheels (the bit that shows) is 10.5mm
My brass chassis sprint car has 10.5mm wheels with sponge tires glued to them. So how about modified Parma Fat Small Hubs with inserts? Sorry my knowledge of brass wood track sponge tired cars is zero. Would require some work but if you have a tire truer, a razor saw or some needle files you can reduce the width. The centre ridge could be built up, etc.

What about Ninco Kart. Does anyone have one of those they can measure?
Last edited by Abarth Mike on Wed May 01, 2013 10:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Abarth Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dr fabio » Wed May 01, 2013 10:10 pm

Ouch, 98 Euro and no motor or running gear supplied. I wanna see that thing run magless with a flat six motor!! Good luck.

cheers
dr fabio
dr fabio
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ElSecundo » Wed May 01, 2013 10:46 pm

Yep, the price hurts, and it's still necessary to add more stuff to finish it.

I'm also concerned about the performance when all is said and done. That Flat-6 is a beast, and anything that takes the load off the rear tires (like the skirt system) limits traction. Don't understand why it's built for the Flat-6...

I'd like to avoid foam tires. Just don't like them. Some good ideas, though. I'd really like to get the right look, and the March 761 tires are right on the money, complete with decals. So far the best match appears to be the Ferrari 312T tires, but they can barely handle the Scaley slim can motors running no-mag. The Flat-6 will probably overwhelm them. If that's the best I can get, I'll just adjust my driving, I suppose.
ElSecundo
The Great One

Postby Abarth Mike » Wed May 01, 2013 11:08 pm

Kurt,

I wasn't thinking foam tires I was thinking remove the foam and fit Fly tires to the cut down alloy rims.
Abarth Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ElSecundo » Thu May 02, 2013 4:50 am

Ah, I see. And build up the rib on the hub?
ElSecundo
The Great One

Postby Cincyslots » Thu May 02, 2013 9:55 am

Kurt,

Do you have any part #'s?

Bruce
Cincyslots
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ElSecundo » Thu May 02, 2013 10:25 am

Thanks, Mick, that's really helpful. The exact shade of red was a big concern -- the Brabhams from this era had a pretty unique color.

Apparently, the kit has the correct inserts, so I'm thinking of doing this:
Use Slot.It F1 wheels
Commandeer the tires off a Fly vintage F1 car. I've always found these to be pretty good tires, and they look right on this car.
Replace those tires on the Fly with some Slot.It F1 tires

I think the kit does have the correct decals (comes with two sets).

I'm kind of excited about this one. Just checked the site, and they're out of stock already!
ElSecundo
The Great One

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale