[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Repainting a Carrera classic Nascar Plymouth

Repainting a Carrera classic Nascar Plymouth

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Repainting a Carrera classic Nascar Plymouth

Postby Modlerbob » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:49 pm

Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Repainting a Carrera classic Nascar Plymouth

Postby The Blue 7 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:37 pm

Most Speedway cars DID have door handles.
Along with the Wing Windows...
I prefer the look without. 8-)
The Blue 7

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:45 pm

Some left them, some removed them and covered them with sheet metal. Your call really. However you prefer it to look like.

Good work so far.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:36 pm

Bob, do you have another car like that? I understand that what you painted is one of the most sought after cars out there. I can't explain it, but I'm told that one and the yellow/white one are getting really crazy expensive for a car that originally cost 29.95 on sale when they came out. That said, I like the shade of blue for Petty Blue. That year it was a bit lighter blue and I always liked it better. You seem to have it dead on. Did you mix you own or did you find it in that shade off the shelf?
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Modlerbob » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:08 pm

I do have another brand new, never raced yet, #32 Plymouth. But it was from a race set along with the #42 Plymouth Superbird and I have no case with it. I mixed the paint myself going from online pictures of the car. I will be getting a set of Pattos decals for it sometime next week. Believe it or not I get packages from Australia faster than those from Canada.
Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:09 pm

It is odd. I find the Spanish hold the record for late shipping overseas. Patto's has been a favorite of mine for many years. I get fast delivery from him, too. My friends in New Zealand say their delivery time from Patto's is more than a week, which amazes me. Armchair slot cars in Australia is fast to me, too.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby slothead » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:30 pm

Great thread for what I'm doing too - repainting a Revell-Monogram Fairlane body for the Stocker proxy series. This is my first time repainting an RTR car and any info you guys can share on stripping a body will be appreciated. How do you get the body ready for painting?

Also, I bought some Testors spray paint at a hobby shop the other day, is this good stuff to use? Anyone have an opinion about the spray paint available in the hardware section at a place like Walmart? I was looking at some Rustoleum that is made for use on plastic furniture. Does that stuff work okay on plastic and resin bodies? What about the clear coat available from the same companies on the same shelves? I'm 90 miles from the nearest hobby shop so I buy what I can find in my area.

Slothead
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby Modlerbob » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:26 pm

Testors enamels have not held up well for me on slot cars that get a lot of use. I have not tried acrylics but have read they hold up well. The paint I have used on my last few projects are Testors racing lacquers. They are formulated for use on clear bodies from the inside but if thinned properly and airbrushed deliver a smooth surface on the exterior of hard plastic bodies. After decals are in place I clear coat with a clear gloss lacquer, sealing the decals and protecting them from racing oils and grime. On this project I sanded off the original numbers and sponsor logos and then sanded the entire body with 600 grit wet or dry 3M sandpaper. I put the first coat of blue on lightly and then about an hour later put on a final heavier coat of paint. I have heard that rust-o-leum works well but I have never tried it. Most online hobby stores sell Testors racing lacquers and usually deliver within three or four days.
Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:29 pm

Bob - you're making me cry! I made this car years ago and sold it last year...dumb, dumb, dumb...LOL.

Great car to do, and a super sharp looker! Can't wait to see yours done!

Here's the one I did:

dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby Modlerbob » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:59 pm

Good looking job. I'll try to make mine look as good. After doing some research I'm tempted to make mine with the black vinyl roof as some of the 1/18th scale diecast models have.
Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Florida_Slotter » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:24 am

ModlerBob,

I do not think you will be able to find a race photo of a Road Runner with a vinyl top with the #43 number on it.

The Superbirds all came with a vinyl roof to hide the shoddy workmanship of moving the rear window glass flush with the roof.

Perhaps a Superbird was converted to a Road Runner. Simple thing to do, just remove the front clip and put on a Road Runner front clip, then cover the holes in the rear fenders for the wing supports. I imagine it is possible, but highly improbable.

Hey, didn't one of those British Groups in the 60's have a song titled, "I have a red car and I want it painted blue"?
Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Postby Derby City Speedway » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:23 am

Derby City Speedway
Derby City King

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:44 am

I started to say, they started with vinyl roofs but they ended with a new definition of rag top. There was a good deal of giggling going on at the time.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby dreinecke » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:52 am

Bob - I really thought about doing the vinyl top one too...I say go for it! It will be very unique and a very cool car when done!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby Florida_Slotter » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:56 am

Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Next

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale