[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Just a Question

Just a Question

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Just a Question

Postby racer6583 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:43 pm

Ok I have no idea of what first RTR car to buy.

If you where like me just getting into 132 what would be your first car outside of what came with the track set?

Just to get an idea of what you all that has been in 132 for years givin what you know so think like it will be your first car to buy in todays market there is a lot of slot cars out there today and I just want a census of what you would get it just might point me to a couple I've been thinking of.

Thank you all.
racer6583
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Just a Question

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:10 pm

For my dollar any new Carrera is a good choice. Cobras, Cheetahs, Classic NASCAR...just about any new release is under 40 bucks and work great right out of the box.

If you want a performance car, Slot.it is still my first choice. Fast, smooth and still a reasonable price.

Your milage may vary.

Why not read some of the latest reviews too? It might help you.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby racer6583 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:29 pm

Thanks Harry I have read some and I got to thinking what would the others buy I was thinking of something small like a NSU TT or a Abarth or a seat 600.
Then there is the great nascars and a couple others I've been thinking about those but can't get to buying just one I know that the little woman will be distraught if more than one show up
racer6583
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby FootScoot » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:13 pm

My choice for the most bang for the buck would be the NSR Abarth Assetto Corse. They cost a little more initially, but you don't have to buy anything extra as they have it all. :)
FootScoot
Mini Model Master

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:02 pm

I would say that it depends where you are going to play with them. If you are only racing on a small set such as those sold prepackaged, you don't need a rocket ship. Any of the big 3 or 4 set selling manufacturers if you are counting currently bankrupt SCX will fill that bill quite well. Of those, Carreras are the least inexpensive. When you race on bigger tracks, especially without magnets, then the more premium cars come into play. Slot.it gives the most bang for the buck but their offerings are somewhat redundant. I tend to like styles of cars that are usually outside their product line though with their more recent Can Am offerings, they are coming around to my way of thinking.
Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Florida_Slotter » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:16 pm

I have to agree with Harry on the choice of Carrera.

Depending on what type of car you are looking for, they have a decent selection.

The Cheetah and Cobra cars run so well right out of the box, I can't see anyone going wrong with these. Also they are narrow enough to allow side by side racing on narrow lanes like is provided by some of the plastic track layouts. As a matter of fact, while passing is 'dicey' at best, I can run a Cheetah and a Cobra on my Carrera GO 1/43rd layout and still pass.

Price, overall quality, appearance and availability just make them a "value".
Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Postby Ember » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:21 am

Selection and value for money depend a little bit on what you want out of a car.

I agree with SCX cars being some of the best bang for buck out there. They run well with the adjustable magnet as a training device, and they are among some of the easiest to get running well without the magnets if you decide to go that way

But one of the best cars I purchased in my early slotting career was a Ninco Classic Jag XK120. It was the car that made me realise how much fun non-mag running could be. Of course,that was before Ninco decided that the NC5 was the motor of choice in their classic range.

Really, there's a lot to be said for picking a class of car that you like and building up a collection of a few of them. That way you'll get to learn how the different brands do things. They really are all quite different, even if they produce some of the same cars.

Embs
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Location: South western corner of the south eastern bit of Downunder

Postby goosenapper » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:25 am

goosenapper
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cobra Freak » Mon May 06, 2013 12:01 pm

Cobra Freak

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale