[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - TSRF

TSRF

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Re: TSRF

Postby Czar » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:52 pm

I have a chassis that I put a SCX Mazda 787 body on. It is very fast and corners well. But mine has the guide pin instead of a regular guide flag. I am sure with the *** it would corner even better. They a a bit heavy, but I am sure that contributes to their stability. The motor is stout enough to negate the weight penalty. There is very little adjustment for wheel base so make sure your body actually fits. All in all it is as fast (or faster) than my NSR Moseler. Mine is 1/32 scale.
Czar
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Modlerbob » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:36 pm

I have the TSRF 1/32 chassis under a vac formed Ferrari 512 S, stock motor and the guide pin instead of a guide flag. The car is fast and stable but in my opinion would be better if I took the time to figure out how to mount a guide flag. Unfortunately it is in a class by itself and I don't envision any of my friends buying one. So I just get it out occasionally when I want to turn some very fast laps.
Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Lenny Broke » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:12 pm

Lenny Broke

Postby Florida_Slotter » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:45 am

RMinAustralia,

When ModlerBob first acquired his TSRF chassis the track was being powered by Scalextric wall warts. The car was fast, but it was a bit soft coming out of the turns.

One night we tried hooking up a real power supply to the track. I made some jumpers up, set up a regular driver's starion with positive polarity and hooked up a DiFalco controller. ModlerBob came out of the long sweeper that heads into the long straightaway on the track and when he went WOT, the Ferrari took off like a rocketship. I could see the look of panic on ModlerBob's face as he could not react quickly enough to the speed that had quickly built up.

I do believe that TSRF chassis still holds the record at our club for longest distance from the layout.

It's simply amazing what the proper amout of current can do to put the "Zip" into a slot car!
Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:18 pm

I've used TSRF parts from time to time, so I looked at their other bits and pieces to see if I wanted to try more. NO. The quality is outstanding, and I understand the customer service is great, but its not a good buy if you can't use it. They specialize in super fast, or stupid fast, as we say it (we're old, ya know). Not only are we 100% home tracks (no commercial tracks at all), we also have more interest in road courses than superspeedway stuff. Personally, I can't see the TSRF equipped cars when they are at speed. My eyes just won't follow that fast.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Slotmanmoss » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:43 pm

I really like my TSRF cars. I do not use magnets but rather use lead weights. My home track is Carerra and I use Ortman tires on the rear. At 9 - 12 volts are a lot of fun. Will try to post some pictures tomorrow. Here is a link to guide conversion by PDL himself. It is on page 2, post #54. Have not tried it as I have no problem with the pin guide. http://slotblog.net/topic/12279-tsrf-cars/page-2

Alan
Slotmanmoss

Postby Czar » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:19 pm

I use Supertires on mine. I will look at the pin to guide conversion, thanks for the link.
Czar
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Florida_Slotter » Sun May 19, 2013 9:06 am

RMinAustralia,

I think the TSRF chassis is one of good design. However I also think it could really use a motor bracket that would allow the use of the FC130 motor. That would not be a difficult task and I do believe that with the judicious use of a file and some careful work, one could fit a FC130 motor to the chassis using a case end drive setup.

As personally observed by myself and ModlerBob the TSRF Homeset motor is on the "Stupd Fast" variety and really has no place on a home racing circuit. I have built a couple of scratchbuilt chassis. One of them powered by the Pro-Slot Euro Mark II type motor - you know 47,000 rpm type of monster. Without a doubt, way too much power! I have found that they do make a 26,000 rpm motor, so I will have to pick one of those up and equip my car with it. It might slow it down just enough to make it usable.

Perhaps I am just so used to building my own chassis that I find cutting up some brass and wire, then bending some wire is just as simple and much more cost effective than purchasing a completed chassis from another source. This way I can make it fit the application I want it to.

But the TSRF chassis is, at least in my opinion, a very competent chassis and should work very well.
Florida_Slotter
Scratch Build Guru

Postby DAVE » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:40 pm

Whatever motor you choose, keep in mind that the TSRF chassis is right side geared, and the motor
should be reverse timed. Most other plastic sidewinder chassis have the gear on the left side, and
motors intended for those chassis spin clockwise looking at the pinion end. For Fly, Scalextric, Slot-it
and many others where the motor mounts with the plastic endbell on the geared side, these will also
be reverse timed. For those which mount the motor with the plastic endbell away from the geared
side, or FK motors, will have normal timing just like commercial motors.
DAVE
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby smithspeedway » Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:48 pm

I hate to diss Philippe's stuff, but we tried one of 32 cars. It did not outperform Womps on our 6 lane oval, so we couldn't justify the extra expense. One of the TSRF cars, with the same tires as the Womp, got beat. We also had some chassis that were made by cutting and extending the Sprints Plus chassis. These also outran the TSRF (with similar motors). The cars are beautiful, and very equal to each other. My problem was that when my guys (who are racers first, modelers second) ask what they get for the extra $25 - $30, I couldn't answer them. If you want spec cars that run equally, and have very consistent build quality, and your racers don't mind limited body options and a $65 plus sticker price, I recommend these cars. If you just want to race, hack some brass, or a Womp, or a Sprints Plus. and make whatever you want.
smithspeedway
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Czar » Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:14 am

I just got another TSRF chassis. I intend to put that one underneath a Fly Porsche 917 body. I am also planning to dump the Mazda I mentioned in my first post and use that chassis for a Fly Lola T-70 body. I am hoping they will be good competition for my Slot.it Ford GT cars.
Czar
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale