Is it true? Carrera buys Technitoys' brand names

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Re: Is it true? Carrera buys Technitoys' brand names

Postby racer6583 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:51 pm

Today in slotcar news in court # 5 has awarded the parent company that owns carrera the rights to scalextric/scx the exact amount is still to be determine by the courts after all parties have come to agreements that there is no breech of the law.

I paraphrased this info from slot car news you can go there if you all want more details.

Mr. Dave kennedy can you say anything about this yet or is it still wait and see for now?

:clap: :dance: :clap: :dance: :think: :think: :think: :shhh: :shhh: :shhh: :banana-rock: :banana-rock: :banana-rock: :banana-rock:
racer6583
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Modlerbob » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:23 pm

I very much doubt that a court decision in Spain will grant Carrera rights to market the Scalextric brand name in any market outside those where SCX already owned the brand such as the USA. Now I can see cars that were formerly marketed in the USA as SCX having the Carrera brand on the box but I doubt whether Carrera should take on that burden. Now that I have experience with Carrera slot cars my regard for them is much higher than cars wearing the SCX logo. As an example I have probably close to 20 Carrera slot cars but only two or three from SCX.
Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ElSecundo » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:58 pm

I think the decision explicitly stated that it had implications in Spain and Russia (probably wherever SCX uses the Scalextric name, which doesn't include the US).
ElSecundo
The Great One

Postby Dangermouse » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:31 pm

Wasn't it all about the right to the name Scalextric in Spain Mexico and Russia - SCX may continue to produce cars - they just won't be able to use the name Scalextric in Spain et al. Now what Carrera does with the name is anyone's guess. Scalextricera CarScalextric - the must have seen some reason to pay for the rights to the name....

"the stories going around the internet are just rumor, and more news is coming" well that is a lot of the internet isn't it :) but the fact he said more news is coming might lead one to speculate that something is afoot.

DM
Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ElSecundo » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:16 am

Sure seems like good news. Gets a lot of the uncertainty out of the way.

Mostly just pleased for Bryan Young, who's been stuck in a difficult situation for a long time. Hopefully this will bring him a bit of relief.
ElSecundo
The Great One

Postby dreinecke » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:45 pm

The Cuda would be great to have. I'm glad to see they aren't totally gone as it is one of my favorite cars.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby dreinecke » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:53 pm

Wow! I didn't even see the price until now...nice!!!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:39 pm

Carrera announced they are doing DTM. They will be new Carrera models with standard Carrera chassis, etc.

The SCX versions is a simply a repaint from years ago and not a new mold.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Ember » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:37 am

It was NEVER a merger. It was the purchase of trade name/brand name rights. Specifically the rights to the Scalextric name in Spain and a few other places.

The similarity between those two DTM image is because they've used the same image provided by DTM.
Ember
Downunder Diorama Queen

Location: South western corner of the south eastern bit of Downunder

Previous

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale