[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Adding lights to the Carrera Cheetah (and other cars)

Adding lights to the Carrera Cheetah (and other cars)

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Adding lights to the Carrera Cheetah (and other cars)

Postby MrAdept » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:12 pm

I hope this helps with adding lights to cars.

This is a standard 3mm white LED along with one that I have cropped and one that has the resistor added.
The longer lead is always the positive, and if you look inside you can see 2 pieces of metal, one fat and one thin. The thin one is the positive wire.
This is a simple light, there is the LED, a 680ohm resistor soldered to the positive lead, and 2 wires connected. Use one for each place that needs a light.
I solder the wire to a convenient point to pick up power. For me this is usually the motor. As I can never remember which side is positive on the motor I make sure that all the LEDs are wired consistently in color so at worst I need to swap the wires.

The main issue I have come across is that these LEDs radiate light in all directions when lit.
This means that portions of the bodywork end up glowing also – not so pretty. Carrera has got round this by painting the interior areas black or silver to provide some degree of shielding.

I find aluminum duct tape to be good for this purpose as once its stuck it’s pretty hard to get off. The only drawback is that you can short out the leads if you cover the back. No harm done, but obviously no light! When doing the test fit I check for light leakage and whether the body lights up. Usually I only have to wrap the LEDs but sometimes I need to place a piece of tape inside the body as well.

My usual approach to wiring a car is to join up the rear lights to a single pair of wires and then do the same for the headlights. This merely saves me routing lots of wires inside the car.

This is the front end of the Cheetah. Carrera put a light diffuser in so their LED board is quite narrow and close to the centerline of the car. I removed this and put the LEDs directly into the headlight holes. This gives me 2 bright beams. As you can see from the picture I use the negative lead of both LEDs to connect together as well as the 2 leads on the resistors so I then only have 1 pair of wires from the front of the car.

The silver thing is the Cheetah light diffuser. I removed this from my Cheetah.
I do a test fit first with the lights hooked up to a power supply to check that the lights are pointing the right way and that there is no unwanted light leakage. With The Cheetah and the Capri I showed elsewhere I wanted to have a shorter LED so filed the top down a bit.You can see this in the picture below. Do not expose the metal on the top as this will destroy the LED. However leaving 1mm or so is OK

The Cheetah rear lights are mounted in separate chromed piece of plastic. The diameter of the holes was not quite 3mm so I ran through by hand with a #31 letter drill (just bigger than 3mm) and then sanded down the skirt around the base of the led. (This skirt is there to aid the LED to fit into a bezel which we don’t care about.)

This is the back of the chrome panel with the bare (and sanded) LEDs pushed into the holes and once again the negative LED leads and the leads from the resistors are used to join them up to 1 pair of wires.
(Blue negative, white positive).
The wire I use is “wire-wrap-wire” or kynar wire which is thin and single strand. It can be broken relatively easily if stressed but it does route around the car well.
The headlights and the chrome panel are held in with hot glue. I would assume other thick glues would work just as well.

The Evolution Cheetah has no lights, and the headlights are painted red. This is what is under the covers

I used some clear plastic from packing to make some new light covers.

These are the tail lights.
MrAdept
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Adding lights to the Carrera Cheetah (and other cars)

Postby RichD » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:46 am

If you wire two LEDs in series you will only need a single resistor.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby MrAdept » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:48 am

indeed but then you need a higher voltage before they both turn on.
MrAdept
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:47 am

In my experimenting with LEDs, I found the exact things, in that order, that both of you mention. Great minds work in the same gutters. Wait. That didn't come out right...

Back to the subject, what is the rating on that resistor? I can't make out the colors on there. My monitor ain't so good anymore.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby MrAdept » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:19 am

and 5% and 1/4W in size. I did try with 1/8W also but they get hotter.

Mark
MrAdept
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:56 am

It is too early in the day to be thinking so much! It is true that if you put two resistors in series that the voltage will have to be twice as high to turn them on. For slot racing applications the maximum track voltage is the thing to consider and a dropping resistor is needed to keep the LEDs from burning out. The total of the voltage drops across the restor(s) and LED(s) must equal the track voltage. There are three possible ways to wire the LEDs. For white LEDs that are rated for 3.5 volts amd 20 milliamps if the track voltage was 14 you would need to use a 560 ohm resistor for each LED. If you wired two LEDs in series with a single resistor it would be 390 ohms and if you wire two LEDs in parallel with a single resistor it would be 270 ohms. That last configuration is not recommended because if one LED goes out the other will burn out for sure. The question is what is the lowest voltage that the LEDs will come on in each case. If I get ambitious and I have the right resistors hanging around I will try it and see.
Here are some online calculators for picking the right dropping resistors.

http://ledcalc.com/

http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz

http://www.quickar.com/noqbestledcalc.htm

http://ledcalculator.net/

http://www.hebeiltd.com.cn/?p=zz.led.re ... calculator
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ecr » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:53 pm

So the best way to hook up the leds is a resistor for each light ?
I think for the lights to come on as soon as possilble is something we are all wanting.
Is there a definte, for sure,just one way that works best,wiring in leds with resistor ohms diagram
for a track running at 15 vdc ??
Too many options gets me unsure on which way to GET THE JOB DONE.
Because of leds not coming on as soon as the factory lit cars, I kinda gave up on lighting up every car
I own with my own leds.
Thanks
ecr
ecr
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby MrAdept » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:20 am

I wouldn't say the best way, but it does mean reasonably even lighting between LEDs. I have used 680 ohms and applied anywhere from 10 to 20V. The lights just get brighter.

I have a couple of cars I want to light - Some just headlights and taillights, but I am also looking to add brake lights to a few for grins and giggles!

Mark
MrAdept
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:25 am

A lot of factory cars with lights have voltage regulators, I would expect that those would turn on sooner. If you only use resistors those have to be sized for the highest possible voltage that the car will see, which is not the ideal situation. If you were to use a three volt regulator the lights would reach full brightness just after the track voltage was three volts. With just dropping resistors the LEDs would not reach full brightness until full track voltage wes reached.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ecr » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:09 pm

How much are the 3 volt regulators? Are they difficult to wire up?
Where can i buy a small amount of them for cheep?
I really don't need any more than 5-10.
Thanks
ecr
ecr
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby LanciaB » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:55 am

another solution is to replace the regulator by a GoldCap condenser...so you have a permanent light.

I use 4 leds 3mm in series, with one resistor 470 ohms and one diode to protect the whole circuitry against burns and not re-route the electric power current of the condenser to the motor.

The logical schematic is :

Motor positive pole - diode - 470 Ohms resistor - 5,5v Gold cap - 4 Leds - back to motor negative pole.

Works like a charm.

You can also have permanent light on SCX cars just by adding a diode, a condenser and a little wire...
LanciaB

Postby ecr » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:22 pm

OK
Sounds good to me but the only thing i have are the 4 leds per car .
Where do i get a small amount of the electrical parts needed to complete a light system
for my cars ??
I have enough sets of wired leds for 20 cars and need a source for the other parts needed.
Thanks for the ideas
ecr
ecr
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby LanciaB » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:45 am

Just search on Ebay.
Diodes are not more than 5$ for a bag of 100, postage included, from China ;
GoldCap condensers (5,5v ; 0,22 or 0,33 F lasts around 5-10 min out of the track) are more expensive , from 1$ each to 0,50 if the lot is big (50 pieces).
LanciaB

Postby SOBwanhoser » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:00 am

SOBwanhoser

Postby MrAdept » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:17 am

One issue here is that the absolute max for that capacitor is 5.5V = If you exceed that you are shortening the lifespan of the part.

From the Panasonic application sheet:-
15. Please arrange circuit design for preventing impulse or transitional voltage. Do not apply voltage, which exceeds
the full rated voltage when the capacitors receive impulse voltage, instantaneous high voltage, high pulse voltage
etc.

http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/com ... 052505.pdf

Mark
MrAdept
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale