[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Oh my, look what is coming from Flyslot

Oh my, look what is coming from Flyslot

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Re: Oh my, look what is coming from Flyslot

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:19 am

Interesting, as Monogram has replaced Fly for me in that "Boutique" category. Just fantastic looking classics that no one else makes...but need attention. But like you say, I give them a pass because they are inexpensive and the parts I require give them a price point right at...you guessed it: Slot.it models.

In the recent releases of the Porsche 997 and Lotus 78, the shipping out of these cars without clearcoat was a huge mistake. Although Flyslot responded to my review with apologies and vowed to not let that happen again...it should have never happened at all. If you are going to compete for the hard earned hobby dollars out you will need to bring your "A" game. Mistakes like that are not what they needed.

I hope the best for them. It would be nice to see folks actually talking about them again...in a good way.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby ElSecundo » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:33 am

Yeah, Slot.It is such a convenient reference point makes it tough on other manufacturers. It's an easy measuring stick.

I hadn't thought of Monogram that way, but you're totally right! Your favorite cars, you'll do anything to get them and make them run. That's what kept Fly afloat -- they were making people's favorites, and folks were willing to spend anything and do anything to get them on the track. And after 10 or 15 years in a growing slot car market, there aren't nearly as many 'must-have' cars that haven't been done yet. It's a tougher market out there, and these guys have to dig deep. Monogram is really the only guy swimming in the vintage NASCAR pool right now, and they're taking advantage of it while they can. But boy, if there were other companies doing these cars, they'd have to get their chassis issues straightened out.
ElSecundo
The Great One

Postby goosenapper » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:15 am

Count me in the "Fly got me back in the hobby" pool. It was the detailing on their cars that prompted me to shift from 1/43 to 1/32. The amount of detail that they used to put in to their cars was jaw-dropping. I recall having to sit down after I saw the faux-wood-trimmed dash of one of their BMW 3.5. You can barely make it out through the side windows, yet they felt the need to include it. That dedication to detail is what impressed me. The last car of theirs that I bought was the green Ferrari 250LM David Piper model. Again, the detailing was superb. (even if my car arrived with a decapitated driver!)

I look at 1/32 cars like this: It's a lot simpler to improve upon a poorly running car than it is to scratch-build minute detailing. I'm much more impressed with detail than drivability, but that has a limit. Fly's rash of out-of-the-box broken pinions a few years back was hard to stomach. Back to the point, at 1/32 scale, there better be a good reason not to include a full interior. Being cheap, (which is what the new Fly offerings appear to be, cheaply made) is not an adequate explanation for a dramatic decrease in detailing level, especially when there is no corresponding reduction in MSRP.

My thoughts on Fly is that if they go back to their old ways of full interior, highly-detailed, spotty running cars, they could do fine. It seems that one of the contributing factors to their most recent financial troubles was that they spread their line too thin. Licensing fees are not cheap, and they were pumping out more makes in multiple liveries than the market (us) could absorb. I don't see much future in a business model that more or less copies Carrera's philosophy that all cars must be inline and they are pretty as long as you don't look in the windows, and charges $15+ above what Carrera does.

Personally, I've moved on to Slot.it, NSR, and kit building. I hope that the old Fly comes back, but I'm not sitting here on my wallet and waiting for them.
goosenapper
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby DaveKennedy » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:37 am

The Carrera/Ferrari exclusive is still in place for another 3 years... ALL slot cars that are Ferraris except for Carrera's that are being done are being done without a license.
DaveKennedy
Master Shutterbug

Postby ElSecundo » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:51 am

Yep, Flyslot is poaching in the giant's backyard. They may regret that.

What are the rules on this -- is Flyslot actually infringing on Carrera, or are they infringing on Ferrari? I would think it's Ferrari, but I don't know. If Ferrari chooses to do nothing about it, what's Carrera's recourse?
ElSecundo
The Great One

Postby goosenapper » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:07 am

goosenapper
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ElSecundo » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:39 am

Thanks, that was an interesting and helpful link. It does sound like an exclusivity agreement is like a temporary transfer of one or more of Ferrari's rights under copyright law. Since Carrera is the holder of those rights, Carrera would be the ones to go after Flyslot.

Boy, Flyslot wouldn't have the resources to fight Carrera. Where Ferrari may not care too much, Carrera could put the final nail in Flyslot's coffin.

That said, it's been discussed for years that Spanish laws are much more lax about things like copyright. Carrera may be able to block distribution of Flyslots cars in other markets (like the American market) where that copyright law applies, though.

But I'm no expert on this stuff, just conjecture on my part. Dave, what else can you add? I'm sure this stuff has been talked about at SCX and Carrera. :)
ElSecundo
The Great One

Postby Nor Cal Mike » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:57 am

Nor Cal Mike
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Quickcars » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:52 am

The bigger issue for me was touched on by goosenapper. No offense to Dave or Carrera, but this is not the company that I want having an exclusive deal to produce the sexiest cars ever raced. I'm a Ferrari nut for sure and to only have the option of buying non competitive cars from Carrera really just sucks. I know they are made for mag running on plastic track, blah, blah, blah. I get it already!

It would just be awesome to have all the spectacular models of Ferraris produced by a company that provides the best of both worlds. An NSR, ScaleAuto, Slot.it or Mr. Slotcar 512s, 250GTO, 512cl or 438 would be awesome!!!!

Please don't go thinking I don't like Carrera because I do and the 512bb LM is one of my favorite cars...period. They are good for what they are but as a slot racer, I'd greatly enjoy the option of buying these cars produced by someone who makes cars that are intended for the hobbyist/club racer.

QC
Quickcars
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ElSecundo » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:56 am

Yeah, the companies that have done this successfully (so far) avoid using the name 'Ferrari'.

I tend to agree with you on the exclusive license thing. It just feels a little wrong. Do what you can as a company to promote your products, but don't hinder others from providing what the public is asking for. Carrera attacking Flyslot would look like bullying, and many people wouldn't take very kindly to that.
ElSecundo
The Great One

Postby DAVE » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:13 pm

The images appear to be 3D computer cad models and not actual photos of the slot car. That
could mean that nothing has actually been done yet on the tooling. I would dearly love to see
another manufacturer do the 512BBLM. I have the Carrera version, but it is heavier than I would
like. It runs OK, but just isn't competitive with Slot-its and Flys.
DAVE
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Previous

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale