[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Petty's Torino in progress

Petty's Torino in progress

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Petty's Torino in progress

Postby slothead » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:09 pm

I bought a Carrera Torino like the one pictured below off HRW from ourwayband last week and it arrived today.

I already have one of these so this one was purchased so I could use the chassis on another project. But, since I just purchased 2 Pioneer Charger chassis with 'steelie' wheels for projects, I decided to repaint this car and make another classic NASCAR out of it. This is what I now intend to make.

For a hot moment yesterday I thought I'd just tape up the windows and put peel off beauty mask stuff on the grille and bumpers and spray paint the whole body. Then, when I got the body off it was apparent the front and back chrome bits could be popped right off and the interior & windows just needed to have a few melted tabs filed away. It took me all of 15 minutes to get everything off the body so it could be painted in the proper way.

I have now put 4 coats of paint on the body. The first was Testors light blue that was actually lighter than I expected, so I switched to Tamiya French Blue for the final 3 coats. It's not exactly Petty blue but very close.

I still have to order the decals so the big task now is to leave it alone for 7 - 10 days till I can apply them and complete the transformation. Of course, I might try to print my own decals in the meantime if I get impatient.

I'll post photos when I can download them from my camera and upload them to the HRW shadow gallery.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Re: Petty's Torino in progress

Postby slothead » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:10 pm

Does anyone know what it says on the upper quarter panel behind the rear driver's side window? I zoomed in on this photo but still can't make it out.

slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby WB2 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:26 pm

I believe it’s “By Petty”.
Yep: https://www.legendarycollectorcars.com/ ... rino-1969/
Last edited by WB2 on Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WB2
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:27 pm

"By Petty"
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:27 pm

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby WB2 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:34 pm

One great resource for racing photos of this era is Racing Pictorial magazine.
One issue could have everything from dirt midgets to Indy cars to NASCAR.
Tons listed on the auction site but it’s a crapshoot what the content of an issue will be. Much nicer if you can find some at a swap meet where you can thumb through an issue.
WB2
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:09 am

Thanks for the feedback.

My car is definitely not Petty blue, though it is a close match to the blue in the decal photo I posted above. According to a website quoting Richard Petty, the color was created by accident. At one point the team was low on money and paint, so they mixed dark blue and white to have enough to paint 2 cars. The color is now owned by Petty Enterprises and they get a royalty from sales. But, they say anyone can mix there own starting with 1 part dark blue added to 5 parts white. Gradually add more blue till you get it just right. Since I don't have an airbrush set up I had to go with Tamiya French Blue. Now I think Tamiya TS-23 LIGHT BLUE would have been a better choice.

The car is all back together now and has temporary stick on numbers. It qualified 5th in a field of 18 cars.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:33 pm

waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby arroldn » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:23 pm

I think I've use Model Masters Big Bad Blue
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0740/ ... 1553968715
arroldn
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby WB2 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:53 pm

Great photo by waytoomuchintothis.
Back in the dark ages when I was a kid, Testor’s Light Blue was the go-to color for anything by Petty. Mind you, we didn’t have the choices we have today.
Unless one can see the original car in the original paint, anything is an approximation of a photo that may not have the correct color rendition.

Still think slothead should have done a Foyt car....
WB2
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:19 pm

Ha! I actually still have a 1/24th Petty '64 Plymouth Fury body that was painted Testor's Light Blue in frustration.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby slothead » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:22 pm

Well now hold on a minute, I still might do a Foyt car. At this time I don't have him represented in any series - Trans Am, Le Mans, Can-Am, or classic NASCAR, and that's just not right.

Could do this '67 Fairlane.

Though this '65 Galaxie would be an option too.

Either would give me a little diversity with body styles since I already have 4 Torinos, 4 Cyclones, 3 Chargers, and only 2 Fairlanes, no Galaxies. Both bodies are now available as white kits by Professor Motor. I'd just need to find a chassis that fit the body.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby ourwayband » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:44 pm

Looking Forward to your build pictures..
Rusty
ourwayband
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:53 pm

You might be a lot happier with these quality decals in a double set.
http://stores.smhracing.com/2-bardahl-1 ... r-johnson/
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Wobble » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:35 pm

Wobble
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale