[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Petty's Torino in progress

Petty's Torino in progress

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Re: Petty's Torino in progress

Postby slothead » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:04 pm

Waay - if I do the Galaxie I'll give those decals a try. It didn't say what the scale was for them, so I'd need to know they are 1/32.

wobble - that seems like an easy enough modification. I've done similar before when I needed a little bit more length, but not enough to cut the chassis in two, add bracing, and epoxy it back together.

FYI - found a bunch of Carrera historic NASCARs on Ebay from Germany. Cars are going for over $70 US with $24 shipping fee. Saw cars I never even knew Carrera made.

slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:22 pm

Those look custom painted to me, as the outrageous price would attest. I didn't find any of those in the many years of Carrera catalogues I saved.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby slothead » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:26 pm

I considered that too, them being repaints. But the official looking tags fooled me. On closer inspection the tag on the case of the #95 looks a little ragged and not as precise as usual.

While I don't intend on buying one, the price is high but not out of this world considering how all of these have gone up in price after the first wave. Electric Dreams has new older releases listed at $69.99 and up. Some are over $100. The original Pioneer Charger street rods have a list price of $219. I would pay $75 for that #95 Torino if it was from a place I'd dealt with that offered free shipping, and disclosed what they really were.

As best I can see online, the only Carrera classic NASCARs still available at or near the original price is the most recent #76 Torino (Ben Arnold) and the #92 Torino (Bobby Unser). Yes, I know the #92 wasn't a NASCAR which is why I was most willing to use it for a repaint. The thing to do for anyone considering doing their own versions of high priced classics is buy a #76 Torino from LEB Hobbies while they are still available for $31.99.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby slothead » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:26 pm

Did a little more research and those Torinos, #95 & #11, are listed as used but are being promoted as original releases. On close inspection there are defects in the paint not seen in original releases, and you can see the outline of decals added on top of the paint.

The dealer does not accept returns, so definitely somethings to stay away from.

Making a Waltrip Torino would be a fun and challenging project to consider if and when my modeling skills improve.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby Slottus » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:18 am

Those are definitely not original releases, we never did those.

But they sure look okay / good enough to stock up the field.
Slottus
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby WB2 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:08 pm

WB2
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:05 pm

That crossed my mind, too. I have been thinking about doing some research into USAC cars. When NASCAR began the slow decent into what it is today, USAC was still fun. I have fun memories of USAC on TV, especially Pike's Peak. And I have a lot of duplicate bodies in my resin and Carrera stash. Wouldn't it be fun to have the usual NASCAR golden era cars, and the same era of USAC cars?
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby ccobra » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:57 pm

Is it just me or is that exhaust coming out at the wrong position on the side of the car. Or maybe the memory is going up in smoke like with the snicker bar issue for those seemed to be much larger when they were going for a nickel.
ccobra
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:04 pm

Its a silly thing, but it has always bothered me to see the side exhaust coming out with no plate above it on the body to prevent paint burn. I always paint them on.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:25 pm

Sorry, but..

The cars are repaints. And not very good IMHO. And with our own SLOTTUS who BUILT the models from Carrera chiming in...buyer beware.

The "Waltrip" car is not even close. He drove Mercury, not Ford.

Exhaust is very close to accurate. And not ALL cars had any plate above them. Especially those early in the season (Daytona timeframe).

As Rob says, paint a silver half moon over them if it's that critical.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:42 pm

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:49 pm

And since I am here...

You will find out what women really want and the perfect recipe for BBQ ribs before you ever perfectly match a PETTY (or many other) paint colors from that era.

Try Sunoco blue next or the perfect GULF mix?

Photo references vary from photographer to photographer. Stories...legends...people who say they were there...etc..will "vary".

The color you chose is close enough.

These cars were hammered...beaten, busted...from weekend to weekend. They get a fresh look for Sunday. Contingency stickers...sponsor placements, these all vary from race to race.

Stop worrying about "perfect" shades and replicate the model so it suits YOUR eyes. If doesn't suit someone else? Who cares?
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:46 pm

THAT'S what I'm talking about!

Well said. And with a bonus- something I never knew about the heat shield.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby slothead » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:04 pm

Great comments. Yes, I feel hoodwinked for even thinking those builds were legit at first. Knew Waltrip drove a #95 Cyclone, didn't know or not if he ever drove the livery on a Torino.

I wasn't discounting the #92 Torino because it wasn't a NASCAR, I already had one when I bought the one I painted to be Petty's car. But, if it had been an in demand classic NASCAR or USAC livery I would have left it as is and passed it on to someone else. The car is still available at only slightly inflated prices. I dipped, stripped.and repainted a Monogram Mario Andretti Fairlane a few years ago and am now kicking myself considering what that car's selling for today. Plus, I traded away an SCX Gurney AAR 'Cuda to get it so lost two valuable cars for what ended up being a sloppy repaint.

I plan to build a replica of the Norm Nelson #14 Roadrunner when the body is available. It's not the NASCAR connection that makes a car desirable to me, I just love race cars from that era. The Dan Hampton Carrera Charger 500 was my first stock car purchase of this type. Now since the Proxie Cyclones became available creating a field of them is my primary retirement activity. I'd buy or build any good looking Mopar or Chevy from that era if I could get them, or parts, at a reasonable price in 1/32 scale.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:42 pm

Just a little aside... because of this thread, I have just been through my back stock of bodies, and I find that I have more than enough Carrera and resin bodies to make a fleet of USAC racers. There are Roadrunners, Chargers, Torinos, Galaxies, and more. This is a surprise to me, so I may have to decide whether to make a bigger fleet than I have ever built at one time of one genre, or do something else with them. Frankly, there may be more bodies than I am willing to build. I don't mind being a supplier of bodies for a renewed series of American performance cars if it comes to that. Its all a big surprise to me.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Previous

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale