Pioneer Charger street rod goes racing

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Pioneer Charger street rod goes racing

Postby slothead » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:57 am

I got the new Pioneer Red Devil street rod from Inaslot about a month ago. Absolutely love it! Fit and finish are excellent and it runs great on my wood oval. It was destine to join the series at Shepherd Speedway for classic NASCARs and same era muscle cars, and for that it needed to be numbered.

I couldn't bear to paint over such a nice livery so I put pieces of red Monokote over the doors, roof, and hood. Then I added decals from Slot Car Fever with Future wax painted over them.. Finally, it got Indy Grips IG-1304 silicone tires and became Dave Marcis' K&K Insurance sponsored NASCAR.

[img]http://www.homeracingworld.us/SHADOW/Coppermine/albums/userpics/10002/Charger__71_C2.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.homeracingworld.us/SHADOW/Coppermine/albums/userpics/10002/Charger__71_E2.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.homeracingworld.us/SHADOW/Coppermine/albums/userpics/10002/Charger__71_F2.jpg[/img]

Not only is this Charger one of my most unique looking cars, when time trialed it turned the fastest qualification time in the series!

Thanks to Jules and Pioneer for hitting a home run with this release.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Re: Pioneer Charger street rod goes racing

Postby JULES » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:22 am

Amazing what a difference you made there Joe.

I have never heard of Monokote before. Some kind of vinyl film?

Jules
JULES
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:52 am

Thanks for your comments.

Monokote is a plastic film used mostly for model airplanes. It comes in a wide range of colors and I've used it for decades to decorate slot car bodies. It's adhesive with a peel off backing making it easy to apply.

The Charger now looks like someone resurrected an old NASCAR and took it racing before being able to finish the paint job.

By the way - the 3 quickest qualification times for this series are all from cars with Pioneer Charger chassis. This car is 1st, followed by a Mercury Cyclone on a new Pioneer chassis, and 3rd is an 'Ace of Spades' street rod turned race car.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby williamg » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:18 pm

Real nice ride, thank you for sharing.
williamg
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Slot GT » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:24 pm

I like what you did here. Well done.
Slot GT
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dundee Denny » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:05 pm

Looks GREAT and I learned about a new product!!

Thanks for sharing,

Dundee Denny
Dundee Denny
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dge467 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:31 pm

That looks really cool! Thanks for the tip!
dge467
The King of Foil

Postby Dogsbody » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:38 pm

Minor nit, the 71 is upside down.
Dogsbody
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:22 pm

That was the hardest thing for me to accept years ago. The reason the roof number is turned to be read from the infield is that the huge concrete camera stands- like stairs for a giant, were in the infield, right at the starting line, with a huge high roof. When I was chaplain at Talladega in '91, I sat on the old camera stand beside the pits since it rained all weekend. Earnhardt swiped Ernie Irvan's helmet and hid it under a seated woman's long skirt. When the rain delay was over, all the drivers who had been up on the camera stands with us grabbed their helmets and ran down to the pits. Ernie was searching all over and yelling, "Earnhardt, I know it was you!" The lady pulled the helmet out and passed it down to Ernie, who was very gracious to her, and he ran to the pits. That, and he yelled, "I'll get you, Earnhardt, you a**hole!" The entire camera stand was people rolling around laughing their heads off.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale