Revell NASCAR Front Tires

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Revell NASCAR Front Tires

Postby trakdaddy » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:05 pm

I need to find front tires for a pair of my Revell NASCAR. I don’t use any chemicals on any of my tires but both sets of front tires are dry and breaking off. I try to keep all my cars stock except for changing to silicones, removing magnets and adding lead as needed. Maybe someone has already solved this problem and can share.

Thank you,
Tdaddy
trakdaddy

Re: Revell NASCAR Front Tires

Postby slothead » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:45 pm

Aren't the front and back tires the same size on those cars? They look like it on the 2 '67 Fairlanes I have. I put silicone tires on the rear of my NASCARs too, but have no idea what I did with the original tires. If I can find them I'll let you have them.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby trakdaddy » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:11 pm

Thanks. I usually just leave the fronts original and usually don’t have an issue but for some reason all of my Revell cars original tires both front as well as rears are dried cracked and breaking. I don’t want to hate on any manufacturer but what the heck.

Thanks,
Tdaddy
trakdaddy

Postby slothead » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:42 pm

I bought the #34 Wendell Scott Fairlane as soon as it was released, and got another Fairlane in a trade so I don't know how old it is. But, I would guess the tires were pretty much all made at the same time and are the same age. The rear tires on the Fairlane I got in a trade came apart while trying to replace them, but so far no problems with the fronts on either car.

These are the only 2 Monogram NASCARs I've had.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby RichD » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:13 pm

It is not uncommon for rubber tires to turn hard or fall apart in a year or two if they have not been formulated correctly. If there are aftermarket urethane tires that fit the rear wheels they may fit the front wheels as well. Unlike silicone tires urethane tires can easily be sanded down if necessary.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby kalbfellp » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:57 pm

We brought 16 Nascars when they were first released,all of them are still using the original front tyres.
I would suggest that your cars may have been subjected to hot conditions or chemicals of some sort to cause the problem..
The wheels are small diameter so I would look at some where like Slot Car Corner or Paul Gage for replacements.
kalbfellp

Postby RichD » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:26 am

There can be batch to batch variations with rubber tires, even with aftermarket rubber tires. Exposure to high temperatures could be part of the problem, but tires that were stored in a cool basement and not treated with any chemical have been known to come apart. The company that molds the tires does not make the rubber, that doubles the chances that something will go wrong. Consider that the people that make the tires think that they are making tires for toy cars and may never have seen them on the final product.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale