Wrong glue?

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Wrong glue?

Postby Billy boy » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:36 am

So I’m assembling a revo slot white kit using testers glue for plastic models,the blue colored tube. It doesn’t seem to be bonding the parts together. Any ideas? Thanks,bill
Billy boy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Wrong glue?

Postby Billy boy » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:37 am

Also the parts have been cleaned
Billy boy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:08 am

The non toxic blue label glue has never worked well for model kits in my experience. You want the old standard red label.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Billy boy » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:09 am

Thanks Harry. I’ll grab some today
Billy boy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:28 am

I like instant set cya, even though I have a hard time keeping the opening clear in the bottle or tube. I use the spray can of activator.

Even thought it take longer to dry, there is clear gorilla glue now that is very nice. It is thick and dries clear and has not discolored any clear parts I have put it on.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dogsbody » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:03 am

I use Testors red as well for initial assembly then I back everything with some Shoo Goo for added strength.
Dogsbody
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:48 am

Loctite has a gel superglue (blue markings), that is the easiest cyano to use for me. Very strong bond.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby BIG E » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:22 pm

Buy a bottle of the Testors liquid glue for plastic models. Works very well, practice your technique on some scrap plastic first! Dedicate a few different size paint brushes to use with the glue. Bonds (melts) the parts together, start off using a little and find out what works best for each assembly. It is VERY thin and can run, so be careful how you hold the parts while gluing them together. Most top model builders use this type of glue, along with specialty water based white glues for clear parts and assorted CA glues when appropriate (or necessary).

***** BE SURE TO HAVE GOOD VENTILATION WHEN USING THESE TYPES OF GLUES !!! *****

Give it a shot, it's cheap enough and may just do the trick for you. You may also find similar products depending upon where you shop.
Good luck, hope this helps you out. -- Ernie :>)
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:30 pm

The glue you mentioned, in the bottle with the brush in the cap, looks like water, is actually MEK, methyl ethyl keytone. It is potent and will melt plastic together. It also has another use not a lot of people are aware of.

It is great to fix a color molded body that has holes or damage. I have used this on MPC/AMT slot car bodies. You can scrape a little plastic off the underside of a body, or sand and collect the dust on a piece of paper. Mix this with the MEK and make a thin paste/paint and you can patch a hole or break. Color matches fine and you can polish it to make it invisible.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:37 pm

Interesting.

Personally, using any CA (SuperGlue) for models has never been my preference.

As usual though, use what you like.

I like a longer cure time when it comes to model parts, mostly because I like to adjust them after I realized I did it wrong :)

I have multiple tubes of Testor (Red) here and its all I have used for many moons for 1/24 and 1/32.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Billy boy » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:23 pm

Thanks guys for all the great info on the glues. I went with the testors red. I cleaned and reglued the parts and worked great. Super glue drys to fast for me. I also picked up some testors clear parts cement and window maker. Anyone have any experience with this as far as glass window making goes?
Billy boy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:16 pm

I use it to make headlights occasionally. Just put the appropriate size drop on a chrome surface (plastic trees from model kits, sheet plastic sprayed with chrome paint, etc), and wait. You get very nice headlights every time. You can paint with clear red or clear orange to make tail lights and amber marker lights.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby buspor63 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:17 pm

Just the topic I need an answer for.
Is the Testor "Red" safe for clear windows? I also have some Ambroid ProWeld that I've never really used.
buspor63
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:28 am

Well it’s safe to a point. It’s all about the application. I have seen it haze up the plastic if you use too much of it.

For glass, I have been using the UV glue. Those glue pens with the UV lights on them. Cheap on eBay or Amazon and perfectly safe for glass. Might want to try some.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby RichD » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:53 am

Superglue will fog clear styrene plastic, even if you don't get it directly on the clear parts. Often I put a drop of glue on the end of a toothpick and use that to apply the glue.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale