[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Classic NASCAR setups

Classic NASCAR setups

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Classic NASCAR setups

Postby slothead » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:11 pm

Even though my oval, Shepherd Speedway, is set up as a dirt track one of my classes has classic NASCARs in it (Charger, Torino, Fairlane) as well as some muscle cars (Mustang, Camaro, Pontiac GTO, Chevelle). These are mostly RTR cars but some have different bodies on the chassis.

Silicone tires work best on the oval, but I haven't been able to find a good source for Carrera Torinos and Pioneer Chargers anymore since I don't think Quick Slicks makes tires for them.

For racers using these cars and chassis, who prefer silicone, what tires are you using? And how are you setting up the Carrera Torinos (or Chargers) and classic Monogram cars? I just time trialed my '70 Mercury Cyclone (Proxie body on a Pioneer Charger chassis) and it turned lap times in the 4.3 sec range while all the other cars in the series are 3.8 sec or below. To help with the stance I put a SCX NASCAR rear axle w/ wheels in the Pioneer chassis and have Maxx Trax tires on it. With Maxx Trax tires on the Pioneer rear axles the rears are smaller than the fronts and the stance is terrible. Ideas?
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Re: Classic NASCAR setups

Postby slothead » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:27 am

I admit my error - Quick Slicks does make a silicone tire for the Carrera classic NASCAR that is available in firm or x-firm {soft is out of stock at SCC). I just ordered 4 pair now. I'm also ordering some Quick Slicks for the SCX NASCAR rear wheels I harvest for other builds.

Still nothing for the Pioneer Charger. Since this is the chassis offered with the Proxie Mercury Cyclone this is my current need, though the SCX wheels are an option.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby RichD » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:14 am

Super Tires has 1901R tires for the Pioneer Charger. If you are using Quick Slicks the XFs will probably work best.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby proxieken » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:21 am

proxieken
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:51 am

Paul Gage only makes urethane tires, Quick Slicks and MaxxTrac only has silicone tires. Super Tires are available in both silicone and in urethane (Yellowdog) formulations. When aftermarket producers make replacement tires for OEM wheels those usually duplicate the OEM tire size. The Super Tires 1901Rs are 0.808" in diameter when they are on the stock Charger wheels. There is also a 1900 tire to fit the Pioneer Mustangs with race liveries, those have a mounted diameter of 0.836", however I don't know if the wheels on the Chargers and Mustangs are the same. If you have both you can check on that.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:19 pm

Most cars on my oval use Maxx Trax silicones because I bought a lot of them years ago. I put a pair on the Pioneer Charger and the rear tires were smaller than the fronts, so the stance was odd. That's when I decided to use a SCX NASCAR rear axle in the Pioneer Charger to improve the stance. It has Maxx Trax tires on it but has very little traction and is difficult to drive.

Ken and I are looking for the same thing - a bigger/taller rear tire for the Pioneer Charger. I need something in silicone.

Waaytoomuchintothis has the right idea. He pulls the Pioneer wheels off the Charger axles and replaces them with classic NASCAR wheels and tires. I sent him some that I had because I don't have the courage to take plastic wheels off an axle. I swap whole axles between cars, but not wheels for fear they will come loose later.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby RichD » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:26 am

If you don't mind spending more money you could replace the entire rear axle assembly with aftermarket parts. Usually there are several different OD tires made to fit each aftermarket wheel. If you were using CB Design 15X8 wheels with Super Tires your choices would be 0.704", 0.738", 0.748", 0.805" and 0.824" in diameter. Those would all be 0.350" wide. Super Tires has the 1601 tire that fits COY SCX NASCARs, those are 0.808" OD.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:40 pm

RichD - I've considered this. I'm not cheap (or too smart when it comes to slot cars - already bought 5 cars in the past 2 weeks), but cost is a factor. Looked at CB Design wheels on the SCC website this weekend and they are $12.99 a pair. Then need a new axle, spur gear, and possibly new pinion for the motor. Add another $5 for Paul Gage tires or $5 for Quick Slicks.

The Pioneer Charger chassis Ken offers for use with the '70 Mercury Cyclone is reasonable at $30, but if it costs another $30 or more to upgrade the rear axle the total investment is costly. Plus, if you have a nice looking set of CB Design wheels on the rear and black plastic wheels on the front you have a strange looking car.

The best fix might be to make the needed body mount modifications to use a Carrera Torino chassis. The newly released #76 is still available some places online for $31.99 and aftermarket tires (Quick Slicks CA06 & Paul Gage 22103XD) are available.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby slothead » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:53 pm

Anyone know if the 1/32 SCALE DELRIN (PLASTIC) SUPER WHEELS from Super Tires will fit on standard RTR car axles.

I ask that not knowing if there is a standard size for RTR axles. Is a Scalextric axle the same diameter as a Carrera axle, as a Pioneer axle?

Are there any aftermarket plastic wheels that can be press fit on RTR axles? If so, are there any that are replicas of American type wheels as used by classic NASCARS?
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:26 pm

Why would you want to press fit?

I'm lost.

If you are changing it out, then go Slot.it axles with SCC bushings and CB Design Wheels.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Wobble » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:28 pm

PGT-21104 should fit the Pioneer hubs unless they are the older type with the 3mm ridge. Best to measure the centre ridge and go from there. The newer Pioneer hubs had similar proportions to Scalex Camaro/Mustang TA hubs but with a slightly larger diameter.
Wobble
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:35 pm

Harry - I'm thinking of ways to get silicone tires (and decent looking wheels) on the Cyclone in a simple way. I'd rather not change the rear axles to aftermarket parts. Unlike the guys tuning cars for racing with others or for proxies, I try to create a class of mostly equal cars for solo simulated racing. If I put Slot.it parts on this Cyclone and it ends up being half a second a lap faster that any other car in it's 16 car class, the outcomes will be a foregone conclusion.

All the cars in this 'Muscle Car Stocks' class are completely stock except for silicone tires. I only 'tune' slower cars to get them to be more competitive. Currently qualification times vary by only 0.21 seconds from fastest to slowest. With that small of a gap and the +/- of actual lap times over a 30 lap run a range of results are possible, which is what keeps it interesting for me.

So my fear is if I spend the $30 to upgrade one car to Slot.it parts I'll end up having to do it for all 16 cars. I am going the simple and cheap route in this case. After all, I'm retired now and living on a fixed income. If I spent $400+ on aftermarket parts I'd hardly be able to continue to buy 5 cars a month without looking for a part time job.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:58 am

Ok, I get it. Seems like an interesting project.

Do you have a tire/wheel machine by chance?
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby slothead » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:39 am

I always appreciate your input Harry. I know the way I do things is odd, but as a solo racer I try to find ways to keep it both challenging and fun. Even though it matters to no one but me, I have rules for each class of cars that I adhere to, and the only upgrade allowed for my RTR classes is tires and every car in a class gets the same treatment.

As is the Cyclone on the Pioneer Charger chassis isn't competitive with Carrera or Monogram classic NASCARs. I'm hoping a tire change (Quick Slicks) or rear axle swap will get it closer.

No, I don't have a wheel and tire machine. Thought about buying a Tire Razor a few years back but decided I had too many RTR cars that would have to be done given my 'all or none' rule on tuning. If a car chatters or rides rough I file flashing off the wheels and sand the tires, otherwise I just clean the tires.

While it might seem I put minimal effort into my cars, maintaining over 100 cars that are raced regularly keeps me busy. I spend time everyday updating spreadsheets, working on simulation stuff, and keeping a log on everything I do. When I do a race simulation I even print out data files and write up a race report. When I stopped doing scientific research I wondered what I'd do to sustain my math and computer skills, then I got back into slot cars.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:57 am

If you are happy and having fun, than that's all that matters. Was just curious. A tire machine is not for everyone, regardless how I might feel about the investment.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Next

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale