Repairing a section of copper tape

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Re: Repairing a section of copper tape

Postby RichD » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:20 am

One of the Shoreline Model Raceways tracks is quite technical and includes a squeeze section, so there tended to be a lot of de-slots. The car's guide flags eventually damaged the copper tape so it needed many repairs. In addition to the guide flag damage there were places where the tape had cracked, mostly because it had been stretched as it was laid down. Several years ago the track had to be moved and by that time it had more than sixty patches so the tape was replaced with braid.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Repairing a section of copper tape

Postby slothead » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:49 am

Rich - that makes sense. I think the biggest problem people have with copper tape failing is due to it being stretched during application. When trying to keep wrinkles out this is easy to happen.

Add to that the urge to rush so you can get the track done and start turning laps. Years ago I got the road course ready for taping late one evening, about 9 pm. Normally this would be when I'd start getting ready for bed because I got up early for work. But, I couldn't stop myself from starting to tape one lane and then couldn't stop till I was able to run some laps. It was satisfying but I was one tired pup the next morning.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Previous

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale