[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Cyclone build and tune

Cyclone build and tune

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Re: Cyclone build and tune

Postby slothead » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:50 pm

Sharing part of a PM exchange with Waay:

>>>>>
I bought Bleche-White in a spray bottle, put the body in a tub, and gave it a good shower. Then I took a shop towel and scrubbed it and dried it off. I did this twice and let it sit for about an hour before the primer + paint coat. On a trip to NY in July I bought some Tamiya blue spray paint for the front of this car, but forgot to get primer. No hobby shops in my area so I buy spray paints at Walmart which means few options - Rustoleum or Krylon. But, have used these on slot cars for years without issues except of course my famous orange peel effect.
>>>>>

I was just looking at the car and the base primer + paint coat looks good except for the blotchy area on the roof. I'm going to wash it with Dawn then do another shower with Bleche-White before putting a coat of blue on the front. This coat will just barely go far enough back on the roof to encounter the blotchy area.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby slothead » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:28 am

I just spent about an hour trying to upload some photos to the shadow gallery without success (keeps saying connection was reset). I wanted to show (finally) where things stand with my Cyclone builds.

Cyclone 1 is done paint wise - white body with red roof and rear section just like the Wood Bros. #21. It still needs windows, an interior tray, and decals. I remain undecided about using stick on numbers (Artin) for now, or chance using the decals provided with the kit. The car has been time trialed as is and has a respectable qual time in its series.

Cyclone 2 is now painted blue (front half) and red (rear half) and came out well. The colors filled in the blotch in the white base coat and that defect is now basically hidden. I still have to mount the body on its Pioneer Charger chassis which will entail some trimming and installing the body mounts. When completed this will be the #48 tricolor car driven by James Hylton.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:28 am

Good to hear a positive post from you on this. Rinsing the Bleche-Wite off thoroughly is hugely important as you found out the hard way. It doesn't occur to us that a cleaner leaves a residue of its own, and that residue has chemical properties of its own, and most of the time it just doesn't matter. That's why it bites us in the butt when preparing for paint.

The truth is, I've been doing this stuff for a long time, and being on HRW has given me a library of knowledge to draw from. It also means I have made about all the errors that exist. There are still, even with all the expertise around here, different ways and different goals in mind about painting. I can't stand huge particle paint (like Duplicolor, Krylon, Rustoleum, all meant for 1:1 use) because I like detail. I like watching detailed models go around the track the same way model railroad guys do, so I use only scale model paints. Others could care less if the paint looks thick and floods details out, because their favorite thing to do is compete and the cars look good enough for that for them, not to mention it can make a body tougher in a crash. Still others only paint to tell one car from another, because the car is so fast you can't see it anyway. Each of these is a preference and a technique of its own. So decide what you want and have fun with it.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby FC47 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:38 pm

Well, paint’d set for a week I guess. Put all the Pearson decals on but the sponsors.
Had to stop and watch the drags from Indy.
Didn’t wet em for long, slid em on, maybe a drop of water to float em into position on. Then wick and squeegee out the water with that same favorite 1/4” flat brush. They worked down very nicely, and a great color match Ken! No Solvaset.
Still have to highlight the grille, paint the interior. Love it.
Thanks Ken!
FC47
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby proxieken » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:49 am

I enjoy reading the adventures of folks building this kit.

A guy got his posted to the cover of the 1/32 scale scratch builder page on Facebook. A nice surprise for me!

He also painted a race version. I was given permission to share his pics.

There is a new decal sheet available for this car.
The color is brighter in this image.

Here is my design which I hope to use to make a car this week.

Also, there is currently a box of Pioneer Charger chassis making its way to my home. All of them have steel wheels in a variety of colors, Goodyear tires, and side exhaust.
proxieken
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:45 pm

The more times I look at that bright yellow #24 Cyclone the more I like it. If (actually when) I build more Cyclones I was going to consider a #89 Johnny Barnes version and maybe a Darrell Waltrip #95 version too. Now I may add the #24 to the list for consideration.

Right now I'm waiting for decals to complete my replica of this car.

The blue and red areas came out fine after initial problems, and the hood has been painted black. The windows are in and the body is mounted on the chassis. When I get the blue numbers I can figure out how to make the white ovals behind them and think about finishing touches.

Going forward I'm going to need more Pioneer Charger chassis, so a couple of the new ones Ken has coming are destine to end up with me.

Let us know when you have them in stock.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby proxieken » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:55 am

proxieken
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:10 pm

Just submitted an order for 2 chassis. Hoping for different wheel colors, but whatever you got is fine.

Thanks.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby btaylor » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:27 am

Mine is almost finished. I need to print the roof numbers, and some small details. I built mine in a fantasy livery.
I used an old Ninco Mercedes chassis ,trimmed to fit, and relocated the front axle a bit further forward. I used ACE brand Orange for the color. Wheels are CB design, Tires are my own. Motor is a typhoon 21,000, with 9/27 gearing, slotting plus guide, SCC braid. This is a great kit, i enjoyed building it
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby Wobble » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:33 pm

That looks pretty cool and just love the color. Gotta be the best looking orange I've ever seen.
Wobble
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:14 am

That orange Cyclone has a nice shine to it. What did you use for a top coat?

Yes, the Proxie Cyclones are fun kits to build and can be used with a variety of chassis. Ken includes decals when shipping if you want to do a classic replica, or bring your creativity as Bob did and make your own livery.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby btaylor » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:49 am

btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby proxieken » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:12 am

Really nice orange car. That turned out great.
proxieken
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby btaylor » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:24 am

Thanks Ken. Your kits are great. I messed up when I ordered the body, and didn't include race decals. Where are the chassis' you are referring to sold? I checked your ebay store, but didn't see them. I am in the market for several.

Bob
btaylor
Uncle Bob

Postby proxieken » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:24 am

proxieken
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

PreviousNext

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale