Cyclone build and tune

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Re: Cyclone build and tune

Postby slothead » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:35 am

I've continued to make progress with a total of 3 Cyclone projects. And, thanks to Harry's assistance now have photos in the HRW Shadow Gallery to share.

1) First Cyclone - the one that I didn't clean well enough to get all the release agent off the roof and therefore couldn't get the primer to stick. After scrubbing it with a toothbrush and more Dawn soapy water, Apple Red paint on the roof and rear deck did fill in the bare spots. This car is destine to become the #21 Dave Pearson car.

2) Second Cyclone - having learned my lesson from the 1st build I washed this body with Dawn soapy water and then with Bleche-White tire cleaner. This car is destine to become the colorful #48 James Hylton car.

3) Third Cyclone - started out as a pre-production green body I got from Ken at Proxie. It's mounted on one of the new Pioneer Charger chassis with 'steelie' wheels (also from Ken). It took a lot of work to prep the body which had a lot of flashing to remove.

Last night I put a coat of Tamiya white primer on the body followed by three thin coats of Tamiya TS16 yellow. (Thanks to Chris Walker for the tip on what paints to use.) The photo below was taken after the 1st coat of yellow.

Today's project is to install the grille, bumpers, and windows in the yellow Cyclone and then add the decals (from Ken) to make this the #24 Cecil 'Flash' Gordon car. The decals have already been done on the white & red Pearson car, and I also have them for the Hylton car.

More photos will be shared soon.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby dw5555 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:41 am

I think it's a safe bet that there will be stock cars in our SIP series.. :auto-driving:
Dave
dw5555
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:26 am

Yes to that! I now have 3 Mercury Cyclones on Pioneer Charger chassis to go with 2 Pioneer Charger street rods prepped for racing. To go with those five cars I can add as many Carrera or Monogram classic NASCARs as needed to round out a field. Right now the top 7 of these cars have qualification times within 0.4 sec of each other. I could pick another set of 8 cars that have qual times within 0.105 sec of each other.

When the SIP series gets to Shepherd Speedway I see a door banging short track multiple feature event with the podium decided by the three best in points for all races.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Previous

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale