[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Paul Gage PGT vs XPG tires

Paul Gage PGT vs XPG tires

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Paul Gage PGT vs XPG tires

Postby Modlerbob » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:47 pm

I have been using Paul Gage tires almost exclusively now for several years since I acquired my painted mdf track. At first I bought just the pgt tires but later after trying the xpg tires I began buying only xpg tires. About a year after switching to xpg I started noticing the tires changing color to an orange brown hue and eventually loosing cohesion and falling off the rims, both plastic and aluminum. After checking many of my cars I noticed that the cars I equipped with pgt tires were still OK while most of the cars with xpg tires were either starting to change colors or had already fallen apart. So my take on the situation is thus, on cars that I only drive occasionally I will replace when needed with pgt tires, not as grippy but not subject to rapid deterioration. On cars that I race often and feel the need for the extra grip I will continue to use xpg tires as they usually wear out before falling apart. This not very different from the situation with 1/24 foam rubber tires, if you race often they wear out after at most 3 or 4 races, but if you don't race 1/24 very often you usually have to replace dried out tires before going back to racing.

So for cars that sit on the shelf most of the time I would buy pgt urethanes and for cars that are raced regularly I go with xpg urethanes.
Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Paul Gage PGT vs XPG tires

Postby Dangermouse » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:16 am

I have had the same thing happen but only with the 1/24 XPG tyres. I have had half a dozen pairs now go amber colour and fall apart on me. I now plan to put standard PGT tyres on all my 1/24 cars.
Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby hksk25 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:20 am

I have experienced the same issue with the XPG tires. About 6 pair, so far. I use them on most of my cars that aren't governed by class rules in our club. So far , if memory serves me, they were all glued. Don't remember any that weren't glued. Getting the wheels cleaned up is a PITA!!!.

Harry
hksk25
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Modlerbob » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:26 am

Apparently the formula for the xpg urethane is somewhat less than stable in the long run and maybe climate has some effect.
Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SuperSlab » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:46 am

I have experienced the same thing with some locally made urethanes that are equivalent to Paul's PGT's. Might even be the same brand of material. Just a couple of days ago I came across a pair that were unglued on a Cartrix Ferrari Supersqualo and which had also degraded. Over time I have probably had 10 or maybe slightly more pairs that have done the same over a matter of years. I have not been able to isolate any specific reason for the deterioration but it seems that it can happen to any urethane tyre for some inexplicable reason. And note it has only happened in a small percentage of my tyres: maybe around 5% over something like 10 years. I have suspected the use of CA glue and cleaning with isopropyl alcohol but that neither seem to be a clear cut cause.

I have come to the conclusion this just seems to be the way of the world and part of the cost of using urethane tyres. Ten sets over 10 years on more than 200 cars seems a small enough issue for me to be able to live with it. I have lost a far, far greater number of NSR rubber tyres due to exceptionally poor quality moulding.
SuperSlab
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:51 am

Well...we have hashed this issue multiple times.

Some have it...some don't.

My basement is mostly cool and dark (The General keeps me that way). I have had maybe two pair out of hundreds do this.

Climate, storage, use (Chemicals) etc...all are factors.

I have learned that some people who report tire issues (Fly classics, Carrera, Scalextric, PG...etc) are not REALLY telling the whole story.
Like they soaked them in NAPTHA overnight and scratch their heads wonder why they went bad.
Or one of my favorites from Facebook: "I coated them with Ronsonol lighter fluid and lit them. Only for 30 seconds. This shrinks them and holds them on the wheel a lot better".

It just happens. To some more than others. Nothing lasts forever. Just adjust and choose what works for you.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby TuscoTodd » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:25 am

TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby slothead » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:27 pm

If the tires on a car have picked up a brownish glaze from running on my hardboard (Masonite) oval I wet sand them with lighter fluid on 600 grid sand paper. Must admit it never occurred to me to strike a match.

Out of about 100 cars using PG tires only a few have XPG's, and I've yet to have any PG tires fail in 6 years of using them. Like Harry, my race place is relatively cool and dark, with low humidity (located in the former hay loft area of the barn).
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale