[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - What's up with Pioneer?

What's up with Pioneer?

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Re: What's up with Pioneer?

Postby BARC 1 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:57 am

Thanks Jules for the detailed update on the legends car. I like the idea,and would probably purchase a couple.

Also think a legends chassis might find its way under 143 scale builds. This scale is in need of a decent mass produced slot chassis with guides. Don’t overlook the 143 possibilities with this chassis to aid in making it a marketing success. I am not sure what the track and wheelbase is on the chassis, but legend cars were about 2/3 scale so they might be adaptable to 1/43. A RTR chassis marketed to 143 might work.

MGB?,, not so much. Maybe an SCCA version, but certainly not a street version.

Anytime you are looking at the smaller 132 cars, it might be a good idea to see what can be done in 143 with the same chassis. .ie perhaps the Legend or MGB chassis might make a 143 trans am or endurance racer like a P4 or a Porsche 962. I guy needs to keep all options open. Being very active in 143, I know how many guys would love to have readily available 143 chassis.

Dave is always saying how GO! was the real money maker for Carrera. Perhaps there is a market for a car that transition the toy into an enthusist line. A whole fleet of Transam cars in 143 might sell well as gift packs at Christmas. Camero, Mustang, and Cuda in different liveries would present a good marketing option. Remember there is nothing stopping 143 cars with guide flags being used on 132 scale track.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:23 pm

Dan - you build beautiful 1:43 scale cars, just about the best I've seen. A few years back I joined HRW after seeing a post selling 1:43 diecast NASCARs (I actually thought they were 1:32 scale). I bought them but could never find quality running gear. I bought some SCX 1:43 scale cars, ordered chassis from Shapeways, and motors, axles, wheels, tires, etc. from Ranch Design. Nothing came close (IMHO) to 1:32 scale quality or range of options. After about a year I boxed it all up and gave it away to Ole Mike.

I don't see the Legend car stuff being a good match with 1:43. They have kind of scaled down Womp Womp proportions, short and wide, just like full size Legend cars. The one I tried out was a close match with some Lindberg '34 Ford coupe models I converted to slot cars using Artin chassis. I think the Lindberg kits were around 1:36 or 1:38 scale. The wheels and tires are much bigger than what I saw on 1:43 cars. Could they be used for kit bashing - of course. But I'm not sure a lot of people would want to pay 1:32 scale prices for 1:43 scale parts. But, if that is another slice of the market buying Pioneer cars all the better.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby Dangermouse » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:28 pm

#13 black and gold Legend would be on my order list.
Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby JULES » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:05 am

DK: Thanks for your input.

I agree with you on the MGB. I have to really fine-tune the plans for that model. With regards to the MINI/Mini, yes it's odd why they are not a sales Wow. It may have something to do with 'Big Boys Fantasy Drives' manifesting itself through purchases of slot models that are representative of cars we will never get to see, own or drive. Does the MINI/Mini fall into that category? Probably not, unless it was red with a '37' running number.

I understand your point on the Legends Racers and registered some time back that you have your doubts. I hope you're wrong. I might not have bet the farm on them but they still represent a significant investment, not so much in the tooling but in the three 'start-over' CAD projects that got them where they are now and the countless hours of hiccups and fruitless false starts in previous years. As you make quite clear, a range of identifiable vintage street rods would perhaps have made more sense.

Jules
JULES
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby JULES » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:13 am

Dan & Joe,

I'll be honest and say I have not investigated 1:43 at all. Not once. The subject does crop up now and again. You need to sell them in a set. No? Will they fit into a collectors market for slot cars? I'm not sure.

With regard to the chassis - what is wrong with the chassis types you are referring to? What do you want it to do that is does not currently offer? It can't be just a scaled down version of a 1:32 chassis, can it? If it was that simple it would have been done already, at least some kind of Unichassis I would have thought.

Let me know. I'm happy to have a look and see if there is something that could be done.

Jules
JULES
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby JULES » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:25 am

JULES
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:36 am

Jules

SCX cars were simple and effective

I harvested this picture off the net showing a SCX chassis Typical to a inline 132 scale car

Here is an after market Slot Devil chassis in 143. The scale in Europe is much bigger, and the fact remains this scale can produce some quality running cars.

132 scale guys should take note. This chassis could be used in small 132 scale cars, like MGBs, and a mini

Again not really expecting you to take on 143 scale, but more just letting you know that development of small 132 scale cars might transfer well to 143 to offer another stream of revenue.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby GoldGuy » Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:56 pm

1:1 scale Dwarf Modified and Legions car racing is the most popular racing series by participant in North America. Short track oval racing is very popular and entertaining for the spectator because they have the ability to see all the cars progression through the pack, or not, and all the action up close. The same goes for the drives in slot car racing.

So, I'm sure the Pioneer cars will set the trend in roundy round too.

My Legion money is burning a hole in my pocket!!
GoldGuy

Postby borninthe50s » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:17 am

Hey Jules: I don't buy a lot of slot cars these days, but I will almost certainly buy a couple of the legends cars when you release them. My reasons are pretty simple and unsophisticated: good luck with pioneer cars in the past, something new and different, my five-year-old grandson will love them.
borninthe50s

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:00 pm

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby slothead » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:02 pm

I hope the rear wheel specs for the Legends will be available to Paul Gage and Quick Slicks (among others) so urethane and silicone tires will be available. The improved stock rubber tires on later Pioneer cars run quite well on my mdf road course, but silicone tires are tops on my slick oval.

Jules - I truly appreciate your presence on this forum and input on this thread. My last Pioneer purchase from a dealer was probably a Trans Am Camaro and I spent years waiting for those to hit the market. As I enter retirement I hope the Legends are released while I still have the income to afford a bunch and years left to enjoy them.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby JULES » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:30 am

JULES
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby JULES » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:51 am

JULES
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby JULES » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:54 am