[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - What's up with Pioneer?

What's up with Pioneer?

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

What's up with Pioneer?

Postby slothead » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:23 am

Last fall Harry loaned me a prototype Pioneer Legend car to try out. It ran better than expected on my oval and got me hoping (once again) the Legend cars might be released soon. I took photos and have a review to share if/when the cars were likely to be available.

Possible release dates of January and then April came and went. Now, with the news about Carrera being taken over by Revell ownership, and nothing new from Pioneer in ages, I'm concerned. And not just about the Legend cars. I understand that when Scalextric released the '70 Javelin it took the wind out of the sails of the long awaited Pioneer Javelin. That's when it seemed the Legend cars would become their next product to be released.

I have almost all of the Pioneer Trans Am replica Mustangs and Camaros and appreciate their quality and performance. Is there anything at all enthusiasts can realistically hope to see on the market from Pioneer going forward? I
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Re: What's up with Pioneer?

Postby slothead » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:05 pm

Bumping this back up to page 1 of posts in hopes someone has something to add.

Jules - you have any info for a past and future(?) happy customer?
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby frank9129 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:26 pm

Fish or cut bait.
frank9129
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Slot GT » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:00 pm

Slot GT
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby JULES » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:08 am

Joe,

Mindful of the mixed risk of pleasing/disappointing/amusing/boring (circle the one that applies) a variety of forum members……..here is the latest from Week 356 of the Legends Saga, or you might say ‘The Game of Slots (Season 7, episode 6)’:-

Monday June 3rd.
1/ Worked my way through another test run of moldings from 4 of the 7 tools.
2/ The Chevy Legends Body Tool has finally had the upper right side bars fixing holes re-sited correctly. All now good.
3/ The Gear Set Tool shows a small issue with the sub-gate on the 11T(z) pinion. Some hand fettling of the gate is required.
4/ Final approval issued for the livery of the Ford Legends, Ref: P063

Tuesday June 4th.
1/ Test assembly of the axles proved that we need to move to a 53mm axle instead of 54mm. Too much torque on the axle presser showed that the longer axle can push the end of axle right through the face of the wheel. 53mm axles ordered.
2/ As a precaution to (1) above, a slight amendment is ordered to the Legends ‘Bassett’ wheel and also a set of ‘steelies’ being made on the same cavity set.
3/ New engineering CAD drawings issued for (2).

Wednesday June 5th.
1/ Paint mask test taking place for the four individual parts making the engine & exhaust headers. Decision made that very often the exhaust headers can look ‘white’ due to exhaust heat wrap being used so first models will have a gray/white colour applied.
2/ Question cropped up: Mirrors – body colour or black? Decision delayed. Exhaust – chrome effect plated or alu silver? Decision deferred.
3/ Discussion regarding the first decorated driver figures: How much detail on the 5-point safety harness? Silver décor on the center boss of the buckle and tighteners is okay but the print plates should be a few hairs smaller to prevent bleed of ink onto suit.
4/ Driver head discussion – Use Mk1 or Mk2 head? Decision: use Mk2. It is a little smaller and a better scale.
5/ On the dashboard prints it looks like the rev counter and ancillary dials are the wrong way round on the mock up. Swap them over.
6/ Discussion: Is it worth spending an extra 20 cents to print silver retaining clamps on the fire extinguisher? Or just paint it all red? Answer: Spend the 20 cents. It is on view.

Today, Thursday June 6th
Studying the layout of parts in the test packaging for the range of kits. Currently deciding on whether to keep the chassis components in a separate tray so they can be packed and stored independently from the upper body components.

And coming up after a lunch break…
Discussion slated regarding a small printing error that was spotted on the box sleeves. Will anybody notice? Decide.
Discussion slated regarding the preliminary designs for the HRW Ford Legends Racer ‘The Legend of MO’, a Limited Edition #13 in gold/black.
Some potential idle chat about the future of slot car racing.
Some discussion about who should have been responsible for ensuring a continuous supply of Nespresso Coffee Pods (strength 12). Ran out last night.

...and on it goes.

Jules

test bench.JPG
JULES
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:26 am

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby TuscoTodd » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:08 am

GREAT update Jules!
Really liking the sounds of that "black and gold - Legend of MO" livery! Will have to keep an eye open for that!
:banana-dance:
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby slothead » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:49 am

Jules - thanks for the in-depth update. Years of reading HRW posts have shed a light on the complexity of making and marketing products. I fully appreciate the attention to detail expressed.

Aside - I am mindful how incredibly 'small potatoes' all of this is given today's the 6th of June. A historian who spoke at my college said "the one thing you learn from studying WWII is the worst can happen, because it already has".

Back to this topic. It's good to have some news to fill the void. I hope Pioneer is able to get the Legends done and that they are a big success. I'll be buying at least 8 of them as soon as that many liveries are available or can be made.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby zilger » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:17 pm

I know much of the concern with Pioneer is about the Legends series but since the title of this thread is "What's up with Pioneer?" in general, I feel compelled to ask about:

1. Will there be any more street liveried Route 66 Mustangs forthcoming or has that project died?
2. Has the long-ago announced MGB been scrapped or is that project still out there on life support?

Thanks, Jules.

Brian
zilger

Postby slothead » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:43 pm

All questions and comments welcome.

I hope to see a lot more from Pioneer in the future too - beyond the Legend cars. But I'm assuming the Legends are the primary focus for now.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby Broman62 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:39 pm

Don’t own any Pioneer slot cars of now but will definitely purchase a couple of these kits when they come out knowing for sure there will be some kind of series down at the Skunkworks/MidMo and I will definitely want an entry for that!!! :auto-layrubber: :auto-layrubber: :auto-layrubber:

Thanks Jules for the great update and “HURRY UP” :banana-dance: :banana-dance: :D :D
Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby JULES » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:37 am

Brian:-

1/ My plans for the Route 66 series are ongoing. So, yes, there is a further selection of models due out. This will include Mustang, Camaro and Charger models along with the Cuda (when it eventually makes it into production).
2/ The MGB is a tricky one. It will be a big risk mainly on the grounds that I don't think the Scalextric version sold as well as was expected so I am very concerned that there is a real desire for 'another' one of these models. Of all the model that we have designed so far, the MGB was the most complex to get correct. The design costs were eye-watering. Perhaps the only way forward for this model is to produce the SCCA version. This is also completed in CAD and you can see a render of the model in the blue line up below.

Jules

all blue lo res.jpg

psc lo res.jpg
JULES
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby zilger » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:34 am

Thanks for the update on those Jules. I really appreciate the communication from you.

And I would buy a few of those MGBs!

Brian
zilger

Postby dw5555 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:04 am

That Bug is seriously COOL!! :music-rockout:
Dave
dw5555
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby DaveKennedy » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:09 am

So for what it's worth... (and forgive this unsolicited bit of market blah, blah)
The MGB you have shown there looks really, really nice. Would I ever suggest this as a mold for a company that mainly targets sales in the US? Of course not.
This car appeals to a VERY small percentage of the slot market which already is a very small market. It makes no, and I mean no sense to make that car unless there are plans to market it to the MGB clubs here (or maybe this has already been worked out?) beyond that how could this car make any sense for a smaller company that needs to have triples and home runs (in baseball terms). I see the MGB as a very high risk mold suggestion. However if the molds are already done (and readying this I assume they are) then roll out a series of limited edition cars that the strong Pioneer collector market (and I see quite a bit of brand loyalty there in that market) then why not do a few and see how it goes? I mean... the expensive part is done, right?
By way of comparison... sales of Mini/MINI models is much slower than I'd have thought would be the case. MINI/Mini owners are maybe the most brand loyal car owners and yet, despite showing new cars and sets and RC (with my previous job) and ads run in the only MINI magazine in the US... crickets...
I'd suggest a Pinto or Gremlin (which a Gremlin is honestly something I've given serious consideration to) before a UK brand of classic/modern sports car.

US styles of cars sell by a factor more than a non-US car... so generally I'd see the strength in the mainstream Muscle Cars/Trans Am cars.

I don't see the point of the Legends as that's a market that's hard to reach because, while there are TONS of small tracks around the US that "might" have classes of Legends or similar cars, I don't see a way to market to them without having a traveling roadshow to demo the cars and do sales. I'd see MUCH more potential for a line of vintage street rods like from Happy Days or American Graffiti. Classic, skinny tires cars, white walls... Moon caps... Big Caddy engines... Flathead Fords (I'd give me left..) oh yeah, classic hotrods... forgive me I just had a moment.
DaveKennedy
Master Shutterbug

Next

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale