[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - NSR Mosler build

NSR Mosler build

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

NSR Mosler build

Postby chrisguyw » Thu May 23, 2019 3:25 pm

I was asked to build an NSR Mosler to run in a club GT series that requires a 21.5K motor (max), and must utilize an all plastic chassis,.....so,....before it goes off to its new owner, a few pics.

The livery is a fantasy one, with decals dug up from my decal stash...and a few bits added/subtracted from the body. I did use Tamiya panel line ink/paint on this car, and while it is dead easy to use, unless the panel lines are absolutely perfect, you may get some less than perfect results.......the NSR Mosler panel lines are not perfect ;) ., however, these shots were taken with a Macro lens, so in person the lines do look much better.

The solid center panel on the rear was cut out and a screen installed.....no reason, other than to look a bit different...

I had some Slot-it Sauber inserts lying around, and as it is purely a fantasy livery, they were used

As mentioned the car must utilize a plastic chassis, and a 21.5K motor (max).....so keeping that in mind, here is what was done.

The NSR Pod was drilled in order to allow motor screws to be used on the can end, and the holes were positioned in order that I could move the motor a touch to the rear, so that a 16.5mm MRSlotcar spur could be used. The slightly smaller spur provides a little more leeway in rear tire diameter without the spur scraping the track, and, as it is now level with the bottom of the pod, it is less likely to be damaged in an "off".

Nylok nuts/bolts attach the pod, with 25thou urethane washers used both above and below each pod lug.
Urethane washers are also glued to the top of each body mount lug on the chassis (between the chassis/body posts) which reduces noise/vibrations......the body posts are trimmed a few thou. to accommodate the washer thickness.

A Sloting Plus axle tube was used on the rear end.....these have been around for more than 10 years now, and while they were initially designed for the early Ninco Anglewinders, they are a godsend in any chassis where they can be made to fit....I use these in any car I can.
Two sintered bushings come in an aluminum double flanged axle tube (three lengths available), which is then glued into the chassis........this greatly reduces independent flexing of the rear axle uprights, ...which can/will lead to binding of the rear axle, mesh issues, and chatter.......none of which are all that good :)

Drill blank axles front and rear, foam filled Slot-it "air" hubs on the rear with urethanes (his club mandates urethanes), and an ind. rotating front wheel set up.

After a quick test. I have added a bit of lead weight, and in this shot, you can see where I had to notch the Sloting Plus axle tube to provide motor/axle clearance

Cheers
Chris Walker
Last edited by chrisguyw on Thu May 23, 2019 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: NSR Mosler build

Postby charlesx@xtra.co.nz » Thu May 23, 2019 3:44 pm

Hi Chris. I like the use of the Nylock nuts and bolts to secure the pod. The original screws are a real weakness as they are so short and easily fall out. I know this is easily fixed with longer screws but I like your idea. Regards Chas Le Breton (charlesx)
charlesx@xtra.co.nz

Postby chrisguyw » Thu May 23, 2019 3:50 pm

chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby GTOking » Thu May 23, 2019 4:16 pm

Beautiful work there Chris! Your builds set the standard in my book.

Ken
GTOking
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Slot GT » Thu May 23, 2019 5:18 pm

Very nice build.

What size are the Nylok nuts/bolts?
Slot GT
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ALS » Thu May 23, 2019 8:25 pm

Nice I will follow those tips I have 2 Thanks Chris
ALS
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chrisguyw » Fri May 24, 2019 6:37 am

chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dogsbody » Fri May 24, 2019 8:56 am

Why not an anglewinder setup? Plenty of big can 21.5Ks or less to choose from and if it were me I'd go with the big can Sideways Baby Raptor thats rated at 17K and is certainly no slouch compared to the higher rated motors. It's also very drivable.
Dogsbody
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chrisguyw » Fri May 24, 2019 9:31 am

Last edited by chrisguyw on Fri May 24, 2019 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Kevan » Fri May 24, 2019 3:21 pm

Nice one!
...S-can sidewinder is definitely my preference too. In fact I'd even put inline as a preference over anglewinder.

Out of interest Chris, is that a Piranha 21.5k
Kevan

Postby chrisguyw » Fri May 24, 2019 3:51 pm

chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby wanabgts » Fri May 24, 2019 4:24 pm

Very nice looking car. I will have to give those axle tubes a shot, I have always eyeballed them!

Zack
wanabgts
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby SuperSlab » Fri May 24, 2019 5:00 pm

Chris, what I always enjoy about your builds is the excellent attention to detail and how beautifully clean and tidy it is. Reminds me of the old engineering saying: if it LOOKS right, it probably IS right! You exemplify that.

Well done

Alwyn
SuperSlab
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Radarek » Fri May 24, 2019 6:23 pm

Radarek
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dogsbody » Fri May 24, 2019 8:22 pm

Dogsbody
HRW SlotCar Veteran!