number fonts

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

number fonts

Postby lancelotalove » Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:59 pm

I really like to number my cars and i like the type of numbers on real world of outlaws and modified cars.
Does anyone know what type of font these modified and WOW numbers are? If i could find the font, I could print them mself.
Where can i get some scaled to 1/32?
lancelotalove
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: number fonts

Postby slothead » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:12 pm

I've been at this for almost 15 years now and there is no exact answer. There are often multiple fonts used on a race car for the numbers, sponsors, etc. It goes car by car not by the series a car is in. I use Microsoft Windows to create 'decal' sets and then print them on an inkjet printer. Word has a bunch of fonts built in and more can be downloaded, then it's been sort of trial and error for me. I rarely get exact matches, but tend to be very pleased with the results.

If you highlight some text or a number and scroll down the font list you can see what it would look like in that font. Once you have a font you like you can scale the font up as you choose. I like IMPACT as a font for numbers and bold lettering, and will crank it up to 48 points or more and BOLD it for door & roof numbers. Points is the unit of measure for letter sizes.

You can also use the Word Art option inside Word, then the shape can be scaled using the Format Shape option if you left click on it. You can also set the fill color and border color this way. If all this is foreign to you just start trying it and it'll make sense. Yes, the Microsoft Office package can be expensive but was worth it to me, though there are compatible free options available too.

Another option is to go to a car or race team's website and see if the have graphics you can save. I do this for car numbers and for sponsors. Then I insert them into the sheet I'm creating for a car. You may have heard of Gary Balough - I just got this from his webpage and will print it out on decal or sticker paper to use on my version of his famous Batmobile modified.

Got this from the World of Outlaws website under sponsors. it can be saved and then inserted on a page or used to fill an inserted shape (like a rectangle). If you increase the size of the shape the image inside changes size too.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale