[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - 132 Strombecker Cheetah

132 Strombecker Cheetah

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

132 Strombecker Cheetah

Postby BARC 1 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:03 pm

I picked up this Strombecker Cheetah from WilliamG on HRW, for a real decent price. It was missing the front and back lower rocker panels so was a little bit of work as I had to fashion new ones which were carved from Balsa and coated in CA. Car had some heavy mold lines, so I sanded these all off as well prior to priming and painting. The shell came with Glass, but required wet sanding with 2000 grit sandpaper and a coat of Future Floor polish was applied to bring back reasonable looking glass. Interior was there, but I needed to add a drivers head. Interior was then painted and the spare detailed. Added mirrors, back lights and a fuel cap for some detailing. The Intank manifold is two erring backs I picked up from Michael's. I used these in my Model railroad days as switch stands, but they pass as a manifold intake and are shinny, so why not.

I Scratch built an inline Brass chassis with a slimcan FF050 21K for power. Cox BRM rims were used out of my spares stash for wheels with PG urethane tires at the back. Decals were applied for effect with no attempt to copy a specific protoype car. Just applied them to look period.

It is nice to restore these old cars and bring them back to life for more laps to be run. Thanks to WilliamG for parting with some old stock. I picked up the Porsche RS 61 from him as as well and have it just about ready for pictures.

BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: 132 Strombecker Cheetah

Postby chappyman66 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:15 pm

Very nice! Those Strommies make some nice cars....
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Xr4ti » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:17 pm

Good looking car!
Strombecker Cheetah was the 2nd aftermarket car I bought back in the day, 1st being a Revell split window.
Still have the Cheetah, TC32 with the blue REB not as strong as the 'hemi' red EB but a great homeset car. Lightened the stock brass chassis for more speed and better handling from an article in MCS but in hindsight would have left it stock. MPC crown gear and AJ's silicones and it still gets around pretty good.
Xr4ti
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:33 pm

Heck of a restoration! That turned out AWESOME!
Dig the repurposed (and source info) earring backs for induction - that little trick may find its way onto one of my Holeshot Nationals builds!
:text-bravo:
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby Brumos RSR » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:15 pm

That's pretty cool Barc1
Brumos RSR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Lou E » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:28 am

Beautiful work!!
Lou E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Mitch58 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:04 am

I have one of the orange ones on the original brass chassis. Though that Strombecker motor was never strong on brakes it's still one of my favorite cars to run around the track.
Mitch58
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby williamg » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:16 am

Oh my god, Dan you've outdone yourself.
The difference is incredible. Guys, this is what he started with.
williamg
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:08 am

Thanks. Finding these old bodies and bringing them back to life is rewarding. Strombecker cars were reasonably well done, and they are tough enough to handle the abuse of slotcar racing. The mold seperation lines need to be sanded off, but with a little work they can be made to look decent.

So two cars have been renewed and are turning laps once again. They arrived on Friday and were a nice weekend project while I watch the winters snow melt.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RBPhillips » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:50 pm

Man, that is a masterpiece. I look at it and it's June 1966 again. Of course, few if any 1/32 cars looked this nice then!
RBPhillips

Postby Billy boy » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:27 pm

Nice build. Looks real clean.
Billy boy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chrisguyw » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:50 pm

chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:19 pm

Those are very fine examples of what “road race set” cars can be made to look like. The red Cheetah is drop dead gorgeous, and all of them are about as beautiful as a slot car can be. I would like to find the Lotus and the Ford J car. Will have to keep my eyes open.

The paint on all of them is fantastic.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dundee Denny » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:25 pm

Thanks for all the "eye candy" from one and all!!!

Impressive......………..

Dundee Denny
Dundee Denny
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Xr4ti » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:01 pm

Xr4ti
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale