[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Replacement (upgrade) motor for tyre truer

Replacement (upgrade) motor for tyre truer

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Replacement (upgrade) motor for tyre truer

Postby F1Fan » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:00 pm

This might become obvious real soon, but I know nothing about electric motors, and need the sharp folks here at HRW to help me with some advice.

I want to upgrade the motor on my tyre (also "tire" :D ) truer, preferable with one that delivers a bit more torque, especially at lower (6v) voltage. Could brushless be an option and will it be worth the extra $? The motor resembles those that can be found in RC cars....I have always been a gas RC guy, know nothing about the world of electrics!

The diameter of the motor and shaft needs to be the same, but the motor can be longer than the one in the pictures below.

Motor Dia: 35.6mm (cannot be larger)
Shaft Dia: 3.2mm (must be the same)
Front Bearing housing Dia: 13mm (cannot be bigger)
Motor Length: 50mm (can be longer)
Screw mounting: 25mm on centre

Below are pictures of the current motor and the printing on the side - maybe this makes sense to someone.

Thanks for your help (please post a link if you can to the source)

Chris

F1Fan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Replacement (upgrade) motor for tyre truer

Postby Aloha » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:29 pm

Chris
I do not have any input would like to see what feedback you receive.
Aloha
Dale
Aloha
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby munter » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:02 pm

I always believed some RC car motors would be an OK replacement.....so I am watching here too.
munter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Pappy » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:06 am

This is the motor that was recommended by The Triggerman on Slotblog who upgrades Hudy tire truers. I have his upgrade on my Hudy and I love it. I also replaced my motor with this motor and it works fine. They are inexpensive R/C motors.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0018M61FW/re ... nk25776-20

It looks like they are out of stock on this particular motor but there are other motors on the same page that might work. You'll just have to do a little research to find out if they will fit your tire truer. Take a look at this one.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001454DOE/re ... B0018M61FW

Here's a link to the thread on Slotblog about replacement motors for tire truers.

http://slotblog.net/topic/53729-hudy-ti ... ent-motor/
Pappy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:09 am

If the motor in a Hudy truer wants to bog down you are probably grinding with too much pressure. If you use too much pressure you will reduce the diameter of the tire, but not actually remove the high spots. I believe that many R/C racers have switched to brushless motors, I don't see any advantage to using one in a tire truing machine. If you are just looking for a replacement motor for a Hudy Slot Car Corner sells those.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Changing-Gearz » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:20 am

That motor is called a 540 can - very common way back in the day in RC. They still use them today - but most people are using brushless and that motor (the older style) has traditional carbon brushes... Like a slot car.
If you google 540 brushed motor you will get hundreds of options.

They rate aftermarket RC motors by # of turns and how many wires are on the armature. The lower the turns, the faster the motor will go but with less torque. Higher turns not as fast but tons of torque. The rock crawler RC cars use 27T singles because they need to torque.... The more wires -the higher the torque at more voltage. A single wire generates more punch from a standing start but the curve drops out where the torque on a triple (three wires) may kick in at 4 volts.

The 20 turn single above is probably way more than enough over the motor that comes with the unit. Keep in mind that RPM is probably about 18k-20k at 7V.....

I wouldn't get the open endbell version with removable brushes - there's too much stuff flying around that will get into the motor.

(I had to edit a couple hours later because it's been so long - I forgot some things!! I need to dig out my RC stuff one of these days...)
Changing-Gearz
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:26 pm

Interesting thread.

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby F1Fan » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:22 pm

Thanks for the great info, I have learned a lot and was able to do get additional info by Googling with the details you provided.

It appears that either the 540 or 550 would work, they have the same can size, the 550 is longer.

As Matt mentioned there are many, maybe too many to choose from. Pricing is very reasonable, many costing less than a slot car motor!

I think I am going to try a 35T motor that is used for RC crawling - I also have 27T and 55T options. The crawling motors seems to make sense, since they are designed to have high torque at low rpm.

Further to the comment from Rich - I am experienced at truing tyres (does not mean I am an expert!) and have a few tyre truers to choose from. I use the Area 3 (now Prof. Motor) and a Hudy. Recently I got a beautiful RSM 3.1 (https://www.overdrive-shop.com/Tire-truer-RSM31) from Germany. Truing tyres, albeit as boring as watching paint dry, is super important for proxy (or any) racing on wood, no magnet! It is the RSM motor that I want to upgrade.

Here are the specification on the motor from the RSM (my pictures in post #1) https://www.conrad.com/p/universal-brus ... rpm-244457

Here is an example of a possible upgrade - would this be an improvement, will it work??

Here is another:

and a 27t

Thanks again for taking the time to provide your comments, it is much appreciated!

Chris
F1Fan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby redlynr » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:25 am

I would be looking toward brushed/brushless drill motors and the like...
redlynr
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chrisguyw » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:28 am

Hi Chris, I was at a local RC shop this morning, and they had a few older used 540 motors for sale......so.....I bought you one !!

The best of the bunch was a Trinity "Midnight", which is a ROAR 95 spec motor....simply meaning, it is for stock class racing (not the fastest, but, gobs of torque). Unlike modern 540's, which use cheap brush gear, (cheap to produce, and quicker assembly on the production line),.... the older motors used a much more precision endbell, which allows for much more precise and consistent brush alignment. Additionally, much better quality replaceable brushes, shunts, and springs were used..............so,.....without getting into too many technical details, the net is that these (this) motor(s) are much better running and produce significantly more torque than the more modern versions.

This motor was used from the shop....I tested it, and it ran, brought it home and gave it a good clean inside and out, oiled/adjusted it, and soldered on some new heavy duty leads........it now runs just like new !!

You will have ZERO torque issues with this motor........it does like Amps however, so you will need a minimum of 5/6 amps to keep it happy.

If you send me your mailing address, I will be happy to send it along, or, if you can wait till your Toronto visit, you can pick it up then.

Happy Birthday

Chris Walker

A couple of pics.

Beefy/precision endbell and hardware equal good torque !!

chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby F1Fan » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:37 am

Thank you Chris!

I am going to try my best to make time for a visit when I am in the "Centre of the Universe" next month, please hold onto it and I will gladly repay you + provide a cold beverage from the local watering hole.

Thanks again, that's mighty kind.

Chris
F1Fan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chrisguyw » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:18 pm

chrisguyw
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Pappy » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:58 pm

Pappy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Fathead59 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:00 pm

I have a Tyre Razor , could these motors be a good replacement , if and when I might need it
Fathead59
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby F1Fan » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:32 pm

Just to make it clear, I have no issue with the motors on either my Area 3 or Hudy truers it was the RSM that was a bit under-powered, which made me contemplate upgrading the motor. For the record, I swapped the RSM motor out (while I wait for the replacement) for the Area 3 motor earlier tonight and it was a significant improvement truing a set of NSR tyres on the RSM at 5v.

Chris
F1Fan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale