Troubleshooting Timing System

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Troubleshooting Timing System

Postby Giddyup » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:55 pm

Hi Folks,

I have run into a problem with my timing system. It’s Trakmate and I’ve had it around 13 years, worked flawlessly to this point.

A few months ago I thought get my power supply was the issue as timing would stop counting. So I blew out any dust from my power supply.

Now the issue is back. Trakmate is working but after about 20-100 laps it will stop counting laps and the timer stops in place like it has been paused.

I also noted some false laps being recorded on other lanes I wasn’t using. Then I noticed a few laps being recorded just before I crossed the line.

All the connections have been checked and rechecked. To me, I think it may be the Trakmate board that may be at issue.

I’ve looked at getting a replacement but I’ve got the old sensors with the printer connection. The newer board has a Ethernet connection from the sensors. So if I replace the board, seems like I would need to change the sensor harness too....but before I go that road....thought I’d ask to see if anyone else has ever experienced something similar?

Cheers, eh!
Tom
Giddyup
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: Troubleshooting Timing System

Postby Dodgefarmer » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:15 am

IIRC, Trakmate has a serial to usb adapter cable listed on their site.

Randy
Dodgefarmer
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:21 am

You did not say what sort of sensors you were using. If you are getting a new interface unit you would also need a sensor cable with the right connection. The new interface unit has a USB output, the interface that I use has a serial output, but my laptop only has USB inputs, so I got the serial to USB adapter that Trackmate sells. A software driver must be installed for the computer to see the adapter. I am not certain of what is causing your problems. You could have a poor connection or intermittent short in the sensor cable. If you are using dead strips there could be a short between those and the powered rails. There can be RFI interference between the wires for the different lanes. The software might have gotten corrupted somehow. You could try uninstalling the software and re-installing it. A bad interface unit is a possibility, although those tend to be reliable.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Giddyup » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:38 pm

Right now I have the standard light sensors (so an overhead gantry with regular (not LED) lighting).

Here's the challenge in front of me re: existing hardware, if the timing sensor harness needs to be replaced, I would just order a new one...however the new Trackmate harness is actually a CTA5 spliced cable with an ethernet connection which then plugs into a newer. That would necessitate a new board due to teh new board having a ethernet connection on it.

If the board is at issue then the connection point on teh board (to my timing harness) is the old printer serial connection. So that wouldn't work just bying a new board.

My laptop is only every used for timing and isn't connected to the internet, so there's no updates etc being uploaded to it that may cause any sort of corruption. In fact, It's sole purpose is timing. It gets used for nothing else.

So on the surface it seems this could be down to a hardware issue, and it if so - then it appears that I would need to get a new harness + board combo regardless given the "old" technology I have now.

FYI - the USB connection from a serial connection off from the board into a USB adaptor has been in place (and yes, drivers loaded onto laptop) to the laptop for 4 years now with no issues.

So maybe I'll rephrase my original ask to be more clear - has anyone experienced any of the following:
1) similar issue with TrakMate with false counting of laps (ghost laps)?
2) missed timing (laps being counted early before crossing the sensor)?
3) had the timing system freeze on screen where the timer stops altogether (both laps and time expired)?

...and if you have, what was the culprit?

Am seeking some clarity before I go back to Trackmate with what I may need to buy and why.

Thanks!
Giddyup
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:11 pm

Not sure how old the PC you have it installed on is. Honestly, being stand alone does not exclude it from the hardware factor.

I have both old and newer Infrared and no issues so far. I DID have an issue on my road course, but it was simply my old PC giving it up. Moved to newer PC and no issues.

Not remotely identifying the issue on your PC, but might be worth a shot to switch out
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale