[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - New to me 1969 Revell setup

New to me 1969 Revell setup

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

New to me 1969 Revell setup

Postby 3nickel » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:00 pm

Hi folks just thought I'd post a preliminary floor setup I'm thinking of raising up on a table. It will be slightly longer than photo shows at around 44 feet. Its got a mixture of 12 large radius 21" curves and 13 or so sections of 14" radius. I bought it on Craigslist a few weeks ago from a guy who got it new in 1969. Its in almost new condition. I had to buy the 21" radius sections on Etsy as NOS and they were $30 a box + shipping but I like old stuff, so what can you do.

What do you think about a 25-35-45 ohm Parma economy controller for this setup?

I will probably use a 12v, 3.5 amp regulated PS I have somewhere. The Revell transformer that came with it has wild voltage swings. Track is too fast for 1 car, to slow for 2.

Maybe a set of lane changers? and I think I'll raise the large curved section at left up 3-4" for some elevation change.

I'd appreciate your thoughts..this is new stuff to me...Dave :)
3nickel

Re: New to me 1969 Revell setup

Postby Z-carfan » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:10 pm

I dig the layout idea, looks fun!

As for power, Harry has a post on here for a really nice 30v adjustable power supply. You can find them on eBay for around 50. I use one I’m my 55 ft 2 lane Carrera track and its great to be able to adjust power for various skill levels.

I also use the 45 ohm Parma controllers for my ‘guest’ controllers. They work very well.
Enjoy the new track, looks to be a hoot to run.
Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappyman66 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:39 pm

Revell is good vintage track. Should be quite a bit of fun!

For power, that 30V supply is hard to beat. I used step down buck transformer boards to make the power adjustable for each driver. Easy if you can solder, about $5 a lane. Search DIY adjustable power if you want to see it.

The 45 ohm Parma controllers are nice. I wire an additional resistor in so I can drop it in about half with a switch....that gives a 45 and about a 22 ohm controller in one. But for home track, the 35/45 ohm range is good. There are nice PM electronic versions out there if you want to spend the money.....

Welcome, great to see another track running!
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby 3nickel » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:44 pm

Thanks for the replies chappyman66 and z-carfan. I will check out that 30v power supply you mentioned. I just ordered a Prof Mtr 35 ohm controller to test, and have a NOS Monogram Lola 1/32 coming, so I can get used to the something that isn't 50 years old. It should prove interesting! Its amazing how much new and used slot car stuff is out there... I had no idea.
3nickel

Postby Quickcars » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:30 pm

I'm currently running on the Revell 1/24 Monaco layout and it is very good vintage track. I use parma 35 and 45 ohm controllers for current cars and the original Revell set controllers for vintage stuff. It's a nice running layout with a good mix of 21" and 14" curves with Revell's somewhat narrow borders all the way around.

QC
Quickcars
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby 3nickel » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:22 am

Cool quick cars, take some pictures. I am trying to find aprons so I can eventually run 1/24th on mine. I'm building an amt 1/25th 41 Plymouth Coupe I want to put on a brass chassis.
3nickel

Postby BIG E » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:05 pm

PM me about REVELL still in box NOS 14" R curves, very cheap!
Good luck with the layout, nice circuit design. -- Ernie :>)
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:05 pm

Looks like a fun layout!
:)
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby Quickcars » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:43 pm

Here's a couple of pics of my Revell 1/24 Monaco set. Please pardon the messy garage pics. I will eventually set this up on some tables. It's a nice layout with a great mix of 14 and 21" curves. It flows nicely. I'm also going to eventually replace most of the brittle Revell border fences with Carrera or Ninco fencing/guardrail.

QC

revell1.jpgrevell2.jpg
Quickcars
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby 3nickel » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:17 pm

Wow quickcars I missed your post with these pics. Thank you. I like the elevated turn, I may use that idea. I see what your saying about the original guardrails. I think I have done more damage to them in a month than the kid did in 1969 when he used this track. Plastic must have gotten more brittle with age. I hope to make track aprons with foam sheet and hardboard edging for guardrails. we'll see.

Life got in the way of slot cars temporarily. I fell off my roof getting ready for the roofers early March and snapped my right ankle in 2 places and ripped a tendon. 8K for the ankle and 10K for the roof--ha ha, but could have been a lot worse. I walk almost normal now but couldn't do anything for 3.5 months. I didn't get canned from my job so I still have a house to put my track in. :lol: only took 2.5 weeks off work.
3nickel

Postby Quickcars » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:56 pm

Wow, silver linings everywhere! Didn't injure yourself more severely, kept your job, walking again and still slottin'. Praise God!!!

QC
Quickcars
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Fast Co. » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:13 am

Fast Co.
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby NHBandit » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:36 am

Vintage Revell track you say ? Love it. I also use the 30A variable power supply from Ebay. Running 4 cars at a time and never a problem with power drops. I'm using old Cox controllers because it's what I had but they aren't ideal. I'll be looking for some Parma controllers myself when funds allow.
NHBandit

Postby Dogsbody » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:41 am

We race at a Revell track in our club rotations and always, always, have to be aware of the low guardrails when running any car with a wing as the tend to get hung up. Other than that, its a great track to run on.
Dogsbody
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby strummer57 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:09 am

I don't mean to highjack this discussion, but can someone post a photo (and share some info) about the 30V power supply that's been mentioned several times here?...what's up with that?

Okay, carry on... :)

Mark in Oregon
strummer57

Next

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale