[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Doesn't look like Jim Hall to me...

Doesn't look like Jim Hall to me...

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Doesn't look like Jim Hall to me...

Postby fotodoug » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:05 pm

...and wire wheels.............WTF?
fotodoug

Re: Doesn't look like Jim Hall to me...

Postby chappyman66 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:37 am

Maybe it's Hap Sharp.....
But those wheels?
Pretty enough for a 250 GTO, but on a Chaparral 2A?
Uhhhh......no.
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ALS » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:21 am

Very nice
ALS
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby MikeyAutobahn » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:47 am

Sexy. Put some horns on it and it could be in Death Race 2000.
MikeyAutobahn
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:11 am

Funny someone would make that mistake, the Chaparral wheels were so very distinctive for their time. It was a major point of interest in the magazines. I wouldn't think a factory would have a surplus of good looking wheels like that and try to palm them off? Like the man said, WTF?
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby fotodoug » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:55 am

fotodoug

Postby BIG E » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:06 pm

Yeah, they got the wheels wrong, but I'm sure they can be used for some other project if wanted.
They do look like something from a Ferrari, as mentioned earlier, or even one of the first FORD GT racers.
Also, the lower rocker panels appear black in the picture, I believe they were more of a copper/bronze color.
Hap did typically drive the #65, but hey - look at that body.
It's no wonder we all stared at the Chaparrals like new girlfriends when we were just young boys!
Those cars were the sexiest things on the track - eat your heart out, Speed Racer!
And thanks for the beautiful photo. -- Ernie :>)
BIG E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:28 pm

I'm not sure the wheels are wrong. The picture is a funny angle and it might make the original magnesium wheels look kind of like wire wheels. I think a straight on picture will show it better. Anybody know what brand of car that is?
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby nhdungeonracer » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:21 pm

The car Doug posted may not be that far off. While the car below doesn't have wire wheels, it does have a bit of resemblance...
Certainly better than the wheels on the original MRRC 2a from years back...
nhdungeonracer
SCC Mechanic

Postby fotodoug » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:27 pm

Those are wire wheels...BRM wire wheels to be exact! It's an Monogram Chaparral, but the original wheels are c**p! I've replaced the chassis with an MRRC Sebring, Scalauto gear...it's a little noisy, but goes pretty well! As long as the car is moving, my eyes can't tell they are the wrong wheels! :dance: :lol:
fotodoug

Postby chappyman66 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:17 pm

The 2A ran with several different wheel designs and in fact some of the early races were run with what looks a bit like Lotus wheels.
However, by the time the 2C style bodywork came around like this car, the "lace" wheels were used for weight reduction.
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:27 pm

I zoomed the photo waay up, and it doesm indeed have dark bronze panels where they belong, but those are definitely wire wheels with spinners, neither of which was ever on a Chaparral.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby bigman » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:27 am

bigman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:25 am

The 2F was the only Chaparral 2 to use wheels with knockoffs. I believe that the early Chaparral 2s left the lower body unpainted, so the brown color was the color of the fiberglass used for the chassis. If I recall correctly the 2C had an aluminum chassis. The 2Ds used recycled fiberglass chassis.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:01 pm

Recycled fiberglass... Jim Hall was really something else, wasn't he? Or I should say, "isn't he", because he's 82 and still with us.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Next

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale