[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Grease sidewinder gears?

Grease sidewinder gears?

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Grease sidewinder gears?

Postby Racer944 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:23 pm

I am new to the sidewinder configuration (all my others are inline) so I have a newbie question. Do you grease the sidewinder gear set or leave it dry? I am worried that if I grease it I am going to end up with some grease being slung off on the track since the spur gear is totally exposed...

Thoughts?

Thanks;
Eric
Racer944

Re: Grease sidewinder gears?

Postby Jesla » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:34 pm

Your correct.

Personal preference, for break in, if needed, I mix a buffing compound with gear lube and run until quiet.
I then clean the grease off and run until time to replace the gears. All my years I don't remember ever wearing
gears to the point of replacement.

Get ready for all kinds of methods to be reveled. Each racer has his own preferred procedure.
Jesla
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mikeinclover » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:08 pm

They are gears rubbing together of course they need lube. You don't need to add a lot just enough to reduce the friction.
Mike
mikeinclover
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Modlerbob » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:24 pm

Have a rag ready for when you first place the car on the track after lubing the gears. A small amount may be slung onto the track so you just wipe it up.
Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby bill from nh » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:52 pm

When we greased the Fass bronze spur gears in the 70's, we first put the car on a power supply at low voltage without the body on for a few minutes. That way, we never had to clean tons of grease from bodies or the track.
bill from nh
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Racer944 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:27 pm

Thanks very much for the input guys, I appreciate the education.

Cheers;
Eric
Racer944

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:59 pm

I find the grease that R/C guys use to be excellent for slot cars. I have Vanquish cars that run perfectly with the original differentials because I packed the diffs with this grease as soon as I got them home. Other folks saw their Vanquish cars become unusable, and had to revert to ordinary drive gear.

To polish gears, use Tamiya polishing compounds (there are several grits available). When the gears (sidewinder, anglewinder, or inline) get quiet, lightly brush the lumps of compound off and apply a light oil. The compound will continue to work for a long time, and when you hear any noise (many laps later), you can apply the R/C grease. Let common sense be your guide, there's no mystery about this stuff.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby buspor63 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:45 pm

buspor63
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:54 pm

White stuff in a tube. I can go look at the label if you need it.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale