A Policar question...

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

A Policar question...

Postby WB2 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:38 pm

...that’s not about the new track.

Seems a lot of people like the F1 cars that Policar has produced.
How many people would be interested in a Policar-produced Indy car?
I’m thinking along the lines of the ‘68 Eagle. This popular car was used by many teams with Ford, Offy, and stock block engines. The same car could also be used as an F5000/FA car.
Or how about the Lotus turbine? Three numbers in the same basic livery, but they also ran Plymouth engines after the turbine days were over.

Any thoughts?
WB2
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: A Policar question...

Postby Conti_rowland » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:06 am

Hi WB2
Thanks for your interest
We would need to find a car with quite a few versions to make it financially viable...
Currently we are trying to build up a group of cars that raced together BITD to get a decent grid of cars for club racing.
Who knows, if people make suggestions of cars with world wide appeal?
Cheers
Andi
Conti_rowland

Postby RBPhillips » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:45 am

A Gurney Eagle, recall, ran in the colors of many other racers, both AAR Team but also other like Leader Card. Leonard, Ruby, Rindt, Bobby Unser, Hulme...McCluskey, Grant, Rutherford, Bucknum all in 1967-68 trim alone! Make 3 pop-in engine modules for DOHC Ford, Gurney-Weslake stock block, and turbo Offy, and wow, you're there!

An affordable RTR 1967 STP Turbine car would be a sure seller as antagonist. Anyone else see it this way?
RBPhillips

Postby Rleog » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:11 am

:text-bravo: on Gurney’s Eagles. Plenty of liveries available.

Whether the European crowd would run Indy 500 cars is a chance Mr Rowland might not want to take.
Rleog
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:53 am

Having an oval track, a classic INDY car such as the Eagle would be very nice to have.

The INDY 500 has the popularity appeal worldwide. It is one of the most popular race events in Motorsport and our hobby has very little to offer other than scratch builds.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby WB2 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:55 am

Thank you, Mr. Rowland.
There are many liveries of this car. Personally, I’d start with the Dan Gurney Rex Mays 300 winner with the Gurney/Weslake stock block engine. You could follow that with the Penske/Donohue Sunoco sponsored stock block car. Next would be Bobby Unser’s Indy winning car with turbo-Offy power (that car could be done in road racing dress with a four cam Ford engine).
For something “current”, Tony A to Z is running an Eagle in the F5000 Vintage series. I’d have to do some further digging to see if the car ran in English or Austrailian F5000 series.
A quick Google of 1968 AAR Eagle shows a number of cars on Images (beware: a lot on non-pertinent images show up).

On the turbine, I specifically mentioned the ‘68 Lotus turbine. The ‘67, while interesting and it sat the world on fire, only ran at Indy. The Lotus turbines ran at Indy, Milwaukee (twice), Trenton, Hanford, and Phoenix on the ovals, and Continental Divide, IRP (I was there as an impressionable 13 year old), and Riverside on road courses. Repoewered, they ran in USAC in ‘69. Much more marketable.
WB2
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RBPhillips » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:50 pm

OK, you sold me! The 1968 wedge turbines were greater in number and carried on elsewhere, besides looking great and wearing whitewalls (or yellow-walls.) I've got two years on you so both the turbines and Eagles made powerful memories in those larger-then-life years.

Me, I'd love to see what you suggest, especially the Unser car with a swap-able engine and exhaust. The 1968 winner never really has been properly lionized; few know how dominant Bobby Unser was in much of the rest of 1968 USAC. I still make a plea for hard luck Lloyd's car.
RBPhillips

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale