ThunderSlot Axles and Bushings

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

ThunderSlot Axles and Bushings

Postby cgingras » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:23 pm

I worked on a ThunderSlot Lola this afternoon, trying to go beyond the obvious things to do to an out-of-the-box great car. I wanted to try different gear combinations to see if I could improve something.

When wanting to replace the rear axle and gear, I was surprised to see that Slot.it axles don't fit in the rear bushings (the bushing's opening is too small). I tried another pair of ThunderSlot bushings and I got the same result.

After some research on the web (and on HRW), I can't find any reference to this. Was someone able to replace the stock axle by a Slot.it axle (or any other 3/32" axle), using the stock bushings, on the ThunderSlot Lola?

And which combination of gears (diameters and brands for pinion and spur) did you use for the best mesh? I'm curious to know what was used to change the gear ratio from the factory one. Thank you.
cgingras
SCC Mechanic

Re: ThunderSlot Axles and Bushings

Postby Brumos RSR » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:10 pm

NSR axles unless you replace the bushings.
Brumos RSR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby cgingras » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:46 pm

Thank you, that's what I thought (ThunderSlot uses the same size as NSR) but I've tried an NSR axle and it doesn't fit. That being said, I don't have a lot of NSR axles (I have hundreds of Slot.it axles!) so I should try other ones before drawing any conclusion.
cgingras
SCC Mechanic

Postby Brumos RSR » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:32 pm

Just tore my other Lola apart you have a PM
Last edited by Brumos RSR on Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Brumos RSR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Mitch58 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:42 pm

Interesting to see what you are trying to improve. We had ours out today and after a little break in and tire sanding we were running a full second faster that the fastest cars run on our 60' track. When the Thunderslots first showed up I spent the next couple of months trying to build something to compete with them. I thought I was getting close but once I got to drive one within a couple of laps I knew that it was beyond my skills to beat them. So I bought one of each. Fantastic cars.

On a track where anything under 8 seconds is considered fast and under 7 seconds is almost unheard of we can cruise around at 6.8 and have a conversation and I was able to push it below 6.3 seconds several times with my best lap at 6.24 seconds.

I hope they make more cars, or at least a few more liveries. The folks at Thunderslot seem to be on to something.
Last edited by Mitch58 on Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mitch58
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby docdoom » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:53 pm

well only if they dont have a broken chassis mitch
docdoom
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:47 am

One option is to ream out stock bearings. Once you did that the stock axle would be a loose fit however.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale