[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - SCOTY Award - Slot Car of The Year 2017

SCOTY Award - Slot Car of The Year 2017

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Best New 1/32 Release

Poll ended at Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:43 am

1. Scalextric Javelin
41%
2. Carrera Ford GT
17%
3. Scalextric Ford MKIV
4%
4. Scalextric Ford Daytona Prototype
7%
5. Carrera Ford Capri
No votes
6. Carrera BMW M1
1%
7. Scalextric 1970 Falcon XW
No votes
8. Policar MARCH 701
5%
9. Slot.it Opel Calibra DTM
7%
10. Carrera Tow Truck
11%
11. Falcon Porsche 908/3
No votes
12. Falcon Porsche 924 GTP
8%

Total votes : 76

Re: SCOTY Award - Slot Car of The Year 2017

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:59 pm

LOL well not sure about that but thanks.

But what is so different about the Sideways Lambo over last years Mustang, BMW, etc? From what I see nothing in the chassis area (the important part of these cars) has it any better.

The body? If so it leaves me dead cold. It is about the least appealing body style next to the slew of Porsche (9whatevers) we have in the hobby. The Carrera Lambo is $32. The difference is in running gear of course, but because we put a new body on a chassis it deserves to be the best of the year?

Has no one who owns this Lambo own any other Sideways models?

Not trying to knock anyone's choice...just curious.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby steeveew » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:08 pm

Completely new chassis,spur gear,motor,and rear wheels.

Steve
steeveew
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby steeveew » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:13 pm

The Revo Slot Porsches, should get some consideration.

Steve
steeveew
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby gascarnut » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:33 pm

gascarnut
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:50 pm

Well there you have it. It is something different. Thanks.

Sorry its not on the list, just didn't get one in time. But I suppose regardless of body style, it's a very popular car.

Funny as I have not seen one person post about getting one until now.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:51 am

Yes the Revo Slot Porsche is also missing. Did not get a a chance to get one of those either.

Seems the higher end competition models are becoming more appealing these days regardless of the price tag. Makes sense though given the quality gear inside. Apologies for some missing choices, just basing it on models we had a chance to review.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Czar » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:12 am

I think it might be good to make a distinction between SCOTY based on overall appearance, technical innovations, and popularity as not all cars qualify in all three areas. As was said about the Slot.it Hurracan, what is new about the chassis, running gear, tire compunds, etc, of the Carrera Ford GT? It looks great, but technically, it is certainly not ground breaking. Some companies put more effort and expertise into the technical side while others focus more on the cosmetics. I liked the way you framed your pick for SCOTY, pointing out that this car has been promised and anticipated for years, and finally is here. In this case, filling a long missing hole in the TA line-up and fulfilling a promise to customers, in addition to being a good running car make this your pick
Czar
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RvE » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:17 am

I voted on the poll and with my wallet. I voted for the Scalextric Javelin, as well as buying the slot car. We have waited a long time of this classic Trans Am car, and it is a great slot car - so it got my vote. It does have the in-line configuration, but runs very well.

My second choice would be the Carrera Zakspeed Capri. Its not a new model for us, since other manufacturers have released it, but the Carrera version is top notch. The fit,finish, and details are superb - best of any manufacturer today in my opinion. And the value/price of the Carrera slot cars can't be beat.

My third choice would be the Carrera Ford GT.....its a great version of this modern LeMans race car. Sorry, I do have a built in bias for the Carrera cars!

Happy new year, RvE
RvE

Postby Racie35 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:31 pm

Racie35
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Norman » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:00 pm

Voted for the Carrera Tow Truck - my grandson and I both got one for Christmas & they are really fun to race! :text-bravo:

The Javelin is a close second. 8-)
Norman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:16 pm

I didn't vote, but the Scalextric Javelin gets my full approval. This model was long overdue and the changeover to an inline chassis was very well executed. I've bought 3 of them so far - the #6, and two #1's (George Follmer), one of which was renumbered to be the #2 driven by Roy Woods. My next Scalextric purchase will be the #63 Javelin driven by Billy Collins, when it's released.

Carrera has made some good economical cars over the past few years, but price should only be a small part of the consideration for determining if something is the best. The best restaurant in an area is rarely the cheapest, and Car & Driver's car of the year often has a rather hefty price tag. Fortunately, the slot car hobby is healthy enough to support a range of different manufacturers with different price points for being competitive and profitable. IMHO Scalextric hit a home run with the Javelin and deserves to be recognized for it.

Slothead
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby Brumos RSR » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:28 pm

I completely forgot about the RevoSlot. I would have voted for it.
Brumos RSR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Dundee Denny » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:16 pm

For all of 2017 the only two cars I bought at retail were the #6 and #1 Javelin.

My first purchase for 2018 will be the #63 Javelin when available too.

If I new Scalextric was going to build several other Daytona's I probably would let the moths escape out of my wallet and add that to my 2018 list!!

My goal is to have two or three livery's of a body type I like then move on.

Dundee Denny
Dundee Denny
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:35 pm

A few have asked about how I look at picking my favorite. It's a little long...but I am sort of hopelessly addicted and just get carried away. :)

From a simple home racer perspective. I’ll just emphasize that. I’m not racing in a commercial environment. I have no rules to prevent me from tuning a model to my liking. I don’t claim a car is “best” just based on lap times alone. Some feel that is all that matters. I disagree.

And my personal choice is just that. Mine. We all have our own taste. The “award” is intended to be a fun participation to let others know how YOU feel.

1. Body Style

Is it new? Is it an American style? Maybe not important to some, but is to me. We have plenty of Euro based cars thanks to our manufactures being based there. But American car molds are important.

If not American, then a new mold we have not seen in the last 15 years or so? I like the recent Carrera Capri, but far from original thinking. BMW M1 the same. We only have 2 other versions with Sideways making the performance leader.

2. Performance

It might be a great mold of a car, but of it doesn’t run well? It’s wasted tooling. It will take a while for others to discover it, but when they do the “slot car grapevine” activates fast. Not just the club/competition based enthusiasts either. Simple home racers who just want to enjoy a car out of the box can tell if they have lemon or sugar.

Regardless if I have a wood track, I test on plastic with magnet or how the car arrived. Many judge a model based on non-magnet wood performance, but I simply do not. Standard models from Carrera, Scalextric were not designed for our advanced wood tracks and judging them based on that track performance is unfair at best.
If the car runs and is fun to drive then it meets my expectations. On wood I can tell if we have potential for light tuning or we need to scrap everything under the body.

3. Innovation
Is there anything truly unique about the chassis/model? A better guide system (ahem)? New gear or drivetrain design? New chassis? Sometimes it is the small things like the extra guide blades Carrera puts in the cases. Other times I appreciate seeing the extra mirrors we know will break. Maybe they made the mirrors or antenna out of rubber?

4. Value
There are great running cars from all sorts of brands. Some of them with hefty price tags. When we start talking $70 to over $100, this is getting out of the normal realm of simple home racing and into the club/commercial scene. Nothing against these cars and I own several. And my custom built cars have a high admission fee to be sure.

I try to use the old “bang for your buck” perspective.

5. Model Classes
I like to break our current models in two categories:

Standard & Competition.

Standard ready to run offerings from Carrera, Scalextric, Pioneer, Flyslot (or whatever name they change to).

Competition based models like Slot.it, NSR, Sideways, Thunderslot, etc. These brands employ higher quality running gear, advanced pod system chassis, ultra light interiors, etc.

They also carry a premium price. When someone says “This latest (insert brand here) is the best running car ever. It blows away any Carrera or Scalextric I own.”

Well it is SUPPOSED to. It better be a screamer for the price tag. Comparing a $80+ competition level model against a $32 Carrera just isn’t fair to me. And it doesn’t give these cars any edge over standard models when choosing my favorite of the year.

6. Feedback from Enthusiasts, then Mix 1 through 5. Shaken, not stirred.

At the end of the year I simply pick my overall favorite just like anyone else with all the above in mind. But even if I like a certain model the most, I read what OTHERS have to say. I look back on the popularity of the product. I watch and see what others are bragging about getting.

So my pick was the Javelin for good reasons. #1 being a mold we actually wanted and that was needed for this series. Some don't like the inline, I just do. And the performance of it matches my older versions on my smaller track.

My second choice is the Policar March. The innovative chassis and exceptional detail level just had me goo-goo eyed.

My two other favorites were old molds, and did not fit the criteria for "all new" this year but I can't help it. The 57 Chevy and Ford Torino still get me everytime.

One more day of voting but it looks clear to me that many felt the same way on the Javelin.

Thanks all for voting and the input. Great fun.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Czar » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:18 pm

Excellent post, Harry.
Czar
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

PreviousNext

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale