[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Your thoughts on Can Am slot cars

Your thoughts on Can Am slot cars

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Re: Your thoughts on Can Am slot cars

Postby slothead » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:22 am

I think I was lucky enough to get the last Policar Ferrari 312 PB from SCC, and the last Monogram Gurney McLaren M6B from Victory Lap Hobbies. And each was under $40. I'd been thinking about getting them for a few days, then finally pulled the trigger. There are a few dealers whose sites I visit almost daily, and put cars in a cart, but usually logout without making the purchase.

Then again, sometimes fate prompts you. I was heading home tonight after having dinner with a friend, a 90 mile drive in light to heavy rain with the temperature going back and forth from 31 to 33 degrees. I decided not to chance it and called a hotel chain I've used to confirm they had a location nearby and to check the price. "Yes, we have a location there and a room with a single queen bed is $99." I said I'd take it but didn't reserve over the phone because I was only 10 minutes away. When I got there the hotel was surrounded by scaffolding and draped in tarps and plastic - either remodeling or fumigating for bed bugs. So, I decided to head home and see how it went. Now I'm home after a tense and slow, but uneventful, drive and feel compelled to reward myself with $100 worth of slot cars. It's pretty obvious to me fate intended for me to spend that much money anyway, and wanted me to get more than one nights use out of what it went for.

Slothead
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby Audi1 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:56 am

Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby gascarnut » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:37 am

This was a popular body in 1/32 scale as a vacuum formed shell (available from Betta and Classic in the UK):

S-173 02.jpg
gascarnut
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Z-carfan » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:56 am

That would be awesome in a hard body.
Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Audi1 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:18 pm

Yes, it would!

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby gascarnut » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:14 pm

We need to start putting some pressure on Matt at CG, now that the BRM is on its way.
gascarnut
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Z-carfan » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:27 pm

Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Changing-Gearz » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:59 pm

Changing-Gearz
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby FC47 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:52 pm

I thought there were Shadow bodies somewhere on ED's site...from France?...$ but nice.
Would love a couple in 24,..might end up grabbin some foam and the hotwire if I have to.
FC47
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:01 pm

Betta and Classics has this vacuum formed body of the 1974 Shadow DN4:

I guess this is the thinnest version of what they offer:

0.007” or 0.010” Clear Polycarbonate
0.020” Clear Polycarbonate
0.030 White Plasticard

I think I'd try the 0.03 white Plasticard version, but haven't ordered any yet. A custom chassis might be needed, but could be based on an available sidewinder motor pod and running gear.

Then again if CG Slotcars is hinting this car is in the works I think I'll wait and see what they come up with.

Slothead
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby Audi1 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:22 am

Looks interesting, but just FYI, no vac-formed bodies for the upcoming Can-Am proxy.

Alaln
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappyman66 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:41 am

If you really want a DN4 for the proxy, take the Vac body and pour a little resin inside, a slosh it to make a resin body.
Alternatively you could fill the vac body with resin to make a buck and then use silicone for a two part mold and then cast some more consistent resin bodies.
I did a slosh cast of the Toyota GTP car 15 years ago before there was a pretty Slot.It car.
So it just depends on whether you really want one ;)
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:23 pm

Yes, I do want a Shadow DN4, but at a reasonable price and something that would not have an unfair advantage in my Can-Am series. I worry a vacuum formed body on a custom chassis would have an unfair advantage. Or, given my modeling skills these days a resin body of my own making might be too heavy, ugly, or both.

Then again there's this to consider:
Proto Slot CB083P Shadow 1973 DN2 Can-Am ---PAINTED BODY KIT (C) - for only $139.95 at Electric Dreams.

An RTR Shadow DN4 from Fly, Slot.It, even CG Slotcars, would be worth the asking price, but not that much just for a body even though the craftsmanship might validate the price.

I wish I knew why with so many other Can-Am cars having been replicated in 1/32 scale, this car never was.

Slothead
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby Audi1 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:55 am

Now that's a nice looking car! A Formula 1 car with enclosed wheels that definitely shows the influence of Peter Bryant over Shadow founder Trevor Harris. Bryant had a lot to do with the Ti22 (titanium car) and later moved the whole Shadow effort into Formula 1. In that respect, the DN2-4's could be viewed as an interesting transition car; it was certainly dominant in the 1974 CanAm series.

Probably because the heyday time of the Shadow DN's was just after the big names pulled out of Can-Am; notably Porsche and with from McLaren and Chaparral so perhaps the DN2-4 was thought to be less interesting to enthusiasts by the major slot car manufacturers. Someone more knowledgeable may be able to give you a better answer.

Allan
Audi1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby chappyman66 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:02 am

What Allan said....
The Shadows may have been interesting technology (the first go cart CanAm car with the MkI) but they have a big asterisk next to their championship. A partial season at the end of the series with no significant competition isn't viewed in the same light as the initial 4 years. In my opinion they just aren't as well known as a result, and just aren't modeled. Look at all the other "also ran" cars that aren't widely available.

Their championship is sort of like Toyota entering LeMans with no other factory teams competing just to win (and deprive Mazda of bragging rights).

F1 cars with fenders in sports car racing wasn't new in 1970....there was a reason that Penske used the "Zerex Special" to win so many races.
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

PreviousNext

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale