[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Carrera GTO chassis

Carrera GTO chassis

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Carrera GTO chassis

Postby Jerzeyguy » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:20 pm

Hi Guys
I won this gorgeous GTO body recently and am dying to put in on the track .As my soldering skills are non-existant I'm looking for an original chassis .Anyone have any idea where I might be able to purchase a Carrera GTO chassis ?? Thanks !!

Jerzeyguy

Re: Carrera GTO chassis

Postby Gameover » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:05 pm

i might..... might have one. ill need to look into this. dont hold your breath but ill check :)
Gameover
Mr. Hubcaps

Postby 32lbking » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:33 pm

I believe there are 3 different chassis for the Carrera GTO.
1. Standard height chassis with spinner wheels such as the one you show here.
2. Standard height chassis with 60's style mags or stock hubcaps. [the only difference between the #1 and #2 standard chassis are the wheels]
3.Chassis that is jacked up in the rear with wide tires that stick out from the wheel wells.
All have the front slider magnet.

I assume you are looking for #2 ?
If that is the case and you can't find a chassis from someone, you may be able to find the axle sets with the style of wheels that you want and use the chassis you have. The axle sets are sold separately , but I am pretty sure the chassis' were never sold that way.
Randy
32lbking
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby proxieken » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:54 pm

Some have a front mounted motor. Mine has that style and I can not figure out how to fit a chip around it.
proxieken
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:15 pm

I forgot that. Randy's correct. I have all 3 in my box. Damn. How did I forget that?

As for chipping, you should be able to just use longer wire, but check with the digital guys in case I'm full of crap (there's an HRW topic specially for that). This topic tends to be all about the 98% of 1/32nd that is regular slot cars. I promise you, if you want answers about anything digital, that's the place.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Jerzeyguy » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:26 pm

Thanks guys !!!!!..... any one of the three will work ....although I prefer number 2. Let me know if anyone finds one and how much you want for it .
Jerzeyguy

Postby Czar » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:30 pm

I have seen where someone has taken the exciter light from the Carrera board and added extension wires from the chip to the light so the chip could be mounted in a different location than the bottom of the chassis. Maybe Drewbert will weigh in. I think he may know more about this.
Czar
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby R/TRandy » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:29 pm

The older (pre digital) GTO's are front motored and the later digital and Evolution digital upgradable ones are rear motored.
The later digital ones were made for having a chip in them so they are the easy way to go if you can get one. But they have their guides moved back from the front of the chassis. The older ones have the guide as far forward as possible, but with the motor in the front, the drive shaft that runs to the back and an interior that is deeper there is little room for a chip. You will have to trim the interior until you fit the chip above the drive shaft. With some cutting, soldering and some engineering it should not be to hard.

Randy

R/TRandy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby 32lbking » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:42 pm

Cool. I wasn't aware the GTO's were made after they switched to the newer chassis, much less digital. Learn something new everyday. Now if I can just remember it. :doh:
Randy
32lbking
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:19 pm

Now I get to ask a question I've been thinking about - where is the ideal placement of the guide? I had a GTO with the guide mounted further back and hated it. I have a routed track so magnets had no effect and it was hard to drive with the guide pivot point behind the front axle. When building chassis I always mount the guide at least 1/2" in front of the front axle so the car can easily get slideways without scrubbing off too much speed.

I've never seen anyone build a custom chassis with the guide behind the front axle and had to assume whoever designed that GTO chassis never actually raced slot cars.

Slothead
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby strangebrew » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:21 pm

I've built some brass chassis with the guide behind the front axle. (I've since moved the guides forward)
But that being said: If the weight distribution is right, the guide being further to the rear, doesn't allow for much side drift, meaning the
car is straighter exiting the corners allowing a quicker power pick up. It was worth the experiment........Just sayin'...... :D
strangebrew
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby R/TRandy » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:18 am

R/TRandy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale