[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Newbie Help Please

Newbie Help Please

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Re: Newbie Help Please

Postby fourshipp » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:05 pm

Up and running! The Bluetooth app dongle arrives tomorrow and we will be full up.

Thanks for everyone’s help and suggestions.

Again, sorry for the huge pic.
fourshipp

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:49 pm

Look at that! Congrats on a nice track.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby fourshipp » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:08 pm

Hey folks, I’m back. We had a great time last winter with the track seen above on the floor. However, come springtime the track went back in the box and we spent the rest of the year playing outside.

Now the first snow has fallen and we are ready for generation 2. We are gearing up for an 18 x 6 table.

We are planning on a double pit lane on the front stretch, three lane changes, adding two sections to the front and back straights to move the 180 left to allow transitions to a R3 banked turn.

3D2E5CC0-8409-4329-9947-2DE74AB1FE82.jpeg

I’m planning on building the table in four 3’ x 8’ sections and one 2’ x 6’ section to allow it to be moved in and out of the basement and stored during the summer. Initial questions are regarding the table build. I plan to frame each section out of 1 x 4 and sheet each with 1/4” ply or similar. The sections would then be clamped together from below.

Any suggestions on sheeting material? Also, what is the preferred table height?

Next I’m going to need new track. What are preferred sources for Carrera track pieces?

We can talk power supplies and jumpers soon.

There will be lots of questions to follow. This will go fast as we want to be running by Christmas. I’m excited to start racing again.

Bruce
fourshipp

Postby waaytoomuchintothis » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:29 pm

I don't like the digital stuff much at all, but I can help a little in general terms.
1. A six foot reach to reslot cars is tough. Make certain that both long sides of the table are free, so its only a 3 foot reach to the center.
2. With curves near the limits of the table, you must build catch walls to keep cars from going off into space from a small deslot. Sheets of shower surround plastic can be easily cut into long strips to tack all around the table edge. It has a slick surface which helps keep cars from getting damaged
3. I would be skeptical of 1/4 inch material for decking. If you already have it and want to use it, use lots of bracing underneath (set at 90 degrees to the deck itself), to keep it from bowing, shifting and all kinds of other bothersome troubles. To avoid it altogether, just deck it with 1/2 to 3/4 inch MDF which needs less bracing and will hold a solid, flat surface which is great for keeping the track pieces from buckling. You can even get MDF in "heavy duty" which is very very stable. This is particularly important since you intend to store it in a basement. Always paint both sides of the decking to keep it solid.
waaytoomuchintothis
"Seasoned SlotRacer"

Postby Czar » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:26 am

Hello Bruce, Well, it looks the bug has infected you in a big way. I am very happy to see you getting so involved. One thing to consider as you make your new table, If you want a wider table and still be able to reach the cars in the middle, you might consider keeping the table lower to the ground, you will be able to reach much further across the track. My table is about 7 feet across and I can reach any car in the middle of the track from either side. I used to have my table so the bottom of the track was about 36 -38 inches off the floor. Now it is closer to 24 inches and it works much better. I also have better sight lines with a lower table. If I sit in a regular folding chair my eyes are slightly above track level, giving an almost "in the car" feel to racing. When I stand my view is more like I am in a low flying helicopter.
Czar
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Previous

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale