[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 429: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - old gas station in my town

old gas station in my town

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

old gas station in my town

Postby rick42 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:40 pm

I was driving down town today , when I passed an old gas station that I know was thare long before I was 10 years old. I am 60 now. It was turned into a car lot later on , years after it closed. The building is still standing in full tact. Our town of Wichita falls , Texas has a lot of old history. I’ve probably seen this building a thousand times , but I decided to take some pictures of it today.
Last edited by rick42 on Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
rick42
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: old gas station in my town

Postby mattb » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:25 pm

Good to document this stuff. You ride by these old buildings for 30-40 years and don't realize what treasures they are. Suddenly you realize they have been torn down and another link with our past/heritage/childhood is gone.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:26 pm

You will find this hard to believe, but we drive through your town on our way to visit our son at Ft. Sam. A buddy of mine retired there and he sent me a photo of that same station that he used as a reference for one he built on his track :)
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby Half Fast Slotter » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:31 pm

Seems like every town in Texas has that same station. Dumas, Dalhart, Stamford, and Childress to name a few. Feels like each one had a second life as a used car lot before biting the dust for a wal mart parking lot.
Half Fast Slotter
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:27 pm

That is super cool!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby glasshorsevh » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:31 pm

, Granbury.... only now it’s a Chicken place.
glasshorsevh
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:25 am

Maybe someday some of these old places, filling stations, will get a second life as recharging stations for electric vehicles (EV's). No need to install huge tanks in the ground or worry about leakage, just have a solar array on the roof, out back, or nearby, and 'docking stations' for charging. if/when EV's can go a few hundred miles on a quick charge these sorts of places would allow people to take longer trips in their EV's.

Slothead
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby Z-carfan » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:48 am

Thanks for sharing, love seeing photos of buildings like this.
I've been meaning to take some shots of an active station in a local town that looks like it is from the past.
Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby rick42 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:39 am

[quote="HomeRacingWorld"]You will find this hard to believe, but we drive through your town on our way to visit our son at Ft. Sam. A buddy of mine retired there and he sent me a photo of that same station that he used as a reference for one he built on his track :)[/quote
Wow! Thanks for that Harry. It really is a small world after all. Our downtown area was the hub of the city until a large mall was built on the other side of the town. It pretty much killed the historic down town area. The city has now been in a revitalization program to bring the downtown area back to life. And it’s working. It still has most of the huge , old buildings that were built with old oil money. I remember going there with my grandparents when I was a child. Woolsworth , and Montgomery wards were two places we frequented. They both had old creeky wooden floors. They are still there and still creeking today. They are now antique stores , which a lot of them are now. I love the old town area. I love just going through the old stores , it brings back many fond memories of my childhood. I could go on and on about this , but I guess I will end this now. Getting kinda sentimental. LOL.
Last edited by rick42 on Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
rick42
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby historiceng » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:36 am

What a fantastic building, it is so iconic.

Thank you for posting :)
historiceng
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby bigman » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:44 am

bigman
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby buspor63 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:46 am

Thanks for sharing. We have several buildings like that around east Tennessee, often found on the old US highways before the interstates bypassed them. I should go document some myself. I can image a future HRW thread dedicated to old buildings for scenic reference.
buspor63
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Wobble » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:29 pm

I really enjoy photos of old buildings and old photos of old buildings too. They sort of kick my imagination into gear.
Wobble
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby mattb » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:56 pm

The HAMB Journal website has many threads devoted to old buildings, old gas stations, old pictures of the downtown areas of most big cities, Vegas, LA, lots of neat old pix. Lots of threads of pix of cars setting around in yards and fields. Even a few guys that do all day hikes into the mountains in AZ looking for vintage tin and old mining camps. You could look at photos there all day long.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale