[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - After market power supply

After market power supply

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

After market power supply

Postby rick42 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:28 pm

I am considering an after market power supply for my Carrera 132 x 124 track. I have both digital and analog control units that I swap back and forth , depending on what I’m in the mood to run at the time.

I would like to be able to adjust the power , when my grandkids come over. I know I can only do this with analog. What is a good power supply unit for this track , and how do I keep from burning up my motors ? Will this unit take the place of the current control unit? I assume it will. Any info on this will be greatly appreciated.
rick42
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: After market power supply

Postby Gameover » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:17 pm

I use the professor motor variable power supply on my four lane oval. I actually have two of them. They are a bit on yhe spendy side but work perfect. My father in law uses the same one on his 1/43 digital setup. We boyh got them from carreraslots.com. Give carrie a call and she can set you up with all the wires you may meed too.
Gameover
Mr. Hubcaps

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:14 pm

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby slowshoes » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:32 am

slowshoes
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby rick42 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:35 am

Thanks for the help. I see what looks like the same one on Carrera and electric dreams for 179.00. And on eBay for less than 50.00. Are they the same ? I will be running 132 and 124 cars , so what amps and volts do I need , for minimal and maximum output ?
rick42
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby RichD » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:50 am

If you are talking about Carrera 1/24th scale cars 10 amps would be fine. For commercial raceway type cars you would need a lot more power, unless the cars had the lower powered motors that Parma sells to run on set type tracks. If you buy a power supply with adjustable amps always leave that control turned all the way up. It is best to have a separate fuse or circuit breaker for each lane, something like 2 amps should work well.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby rick42 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:09 am

I wander why the big price difference from eBay to carerra. How will this connect to my carerra track
rick42
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Z-carfan » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:03 am

I have one of these as well based on Harry recommendation. I mainly use it on my bench for my Tire Razor which is perfect. Think I'm going to grab another one for the Carrera track I'm putting up. I have an older Pyramid I use on my Routed test track. It's nice too.
Z-carfan
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Czar » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:08 am

This is how you will wire the track. If you use an aftermarket power supply, it is not plug and play. But, it is a very simple wiring project. Since you will no longer be using the pre-wired terminal track, you just wire the track directly. Choose the track piece you want to use for your new terminal track. Using a good gauge wire (16 is very minimum, 14 or 12 is better) simply push the wire into an open slot on the back of the track section, making sure the wire makes good contact with the rail. This next step is optional, but I do it - using silicone caulk, or rubber cement, put a good layer of glue onto the back and sides of the opening where the wire is inserted. This just makes sure nothing will slip out of place. Label your wires coming from the track, insert the new terminal track wherever you want in your layout, and follow the schematics. You can use this same technique for adding power taps, if you want.

Thanks to Professor Motor: http://www.lightningspeedway.com/wiringschematic2.pdf
Czar
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby rick42 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:18 am

Thanks czar, that’s what I was needing. From what I understand at this point, I will crank the amps up all the way and the cars will use only what they need. Is this correct?
rick42
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby rick42 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:20 am

Sorry for all the questions, this is all new to me.
rick42
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:39 am

Yes they will only draw what they need.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby rick42 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:24 pm

Thanks everyone for all the info. Harry,I just ordered the one you gave me the link on. 46.00 and free shipping. Cant beat that with a stick. Cant wait til I get it. Im just about finished with my new table , then I will start putting the new track together. Thanks again.
rick42
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Cobra » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:24 pm

Chinese power supplies may not burn up your slot car motors, I would worry more about my house :lol:

I use an Astron VS-35M for my 6 lane commercial track. The MG PS10-AD is another good one. These are linear power supplies which is better choice for a slot car track due to the cleaner power and better regulation over varied current loads.

Probably doesn't matter on a 2 lane track, it does make a difference with 6 NSR or Sideways cars running at 12 volts.
Cobra

Postby FC47 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:15 pm

Well, I've got an MG as well and am happy with it, turned down runnin open wheel Legends, little higher for hotter cars, up more for H&R's, or right up real high for pounding around with Carrera 's or hustling BRM. Building a wood track this winter and looking forward to feeding it with the MG. My simple PM controllers manage all of it.
Best purchase so far other than tools and of course cars!
FC47
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Next

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale