[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - RMS Resin Dodge Dart build

RMS Resin Dodge Dart build

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

RMS Resin Dodge Dart build

Postby slothead » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:42 pm

I recently purchased a Dodge Dart resin body from RMS Resins so I can add one to my Trans Am series. A Dodge Dart won the very first Trans Am race at Sebring in 1966, and repeated the next year. So it's fitting that this make and model be represented in my series.

I originally intended to mount the body on a Scalextric Cougar white kit chassis, but both front and rear light bars would need to be cut off to make it fit, and to be honest the chassis in question isn't a top performer on my track at this time.

Has anyone else built a Dodge Dart using the RMS resin body? If so what chassis did you use? I'm now thinking of using a Pioneer chassis, but am concerned the body is too narrow for any RTR chassis to work easily, and to be true to the car as it raced in the TA series, hogging out the wheel wells isn't a good option.

Slothead
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Re: RMS Resin Dodge Dart build

Postby Ky.Slot Racer » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:56 pm

Check Dave`s web site, as a rule he normally sets his bodys to fit a specific chassis.
Ky.Slot Racer
HRW Master Modeler

Postby glasshorsevh » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:20 pm

Ok, cat out of bag... we are entering a 69 Barracuda this year using a 3D printed chassis made for a Monogram Mustang. By rights they were both A Body Mopar, so the wheelbase of the Dart should match the Barracuda or close and that matched the Mustang. You may be hard-pressed to find a sidewinder to fit. David is recommending a PCS32 which is an in-line plastic job.

Val
glasshorsevh
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:46 pm

The Pioneer will not work nor will the Scalextric Camaro/Mustang without removing the built-in posts and hogging out the wheel wells. The axles are way too wide, and in the case of the Cougar's chassis - way too long.

The PCS is the best bet as it is adjustable and you can then use axles/wheels that will tuck inside.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby eightwheels » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:28 pm

I have a rms 67 dodge dart going to be in the next T/A event, with a cougar chassis. I used the body modifications that are on the original car. It works ok but is a little on the top heavy side.
eightwheels
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Broman62 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:10 pm

Or...you could scratch build a chassis??? :D ...Good luck and looking forward to pics!!!
Broman62
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Fitzy » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:59 pm

The PCS Chassis really is the way to go fits together well tires stay inside and the body mounts already there. As for the rest of these cars I am off from work next Thurs, Fri, Sat and Sun I am going to finish a couple of them!!!

Fitzy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:45 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I've never used a PCS chassis but will check them out.

Fitzy, you certainly will have a lot to be thankful for - Thanksgiving dinner, slot car builds, late night turkey sandwich (with dressing and cranberry sauce), ... Your chassis picture reminded me of the MRRC Sebring chassis. Anyone know if that would fit the Dodge Dart body? I'm away at a conference till Sunday and can't do a test fit now, but have 3 MRRC Chaparral F2's that run very well on my track with stock or PGT tires.

I think a custom built inline chassis would be the best solution and I'm considering it. It would depend on if the wide CB Design wheels and PGT's I have will fit within the body with the SCC motor mount I have. I ordered 2 sets of everything needed to build a Show Me Showdown car 2 years ago and then decided not to do it.

Slothead
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby eightwheels » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:16 pm

I just looked at a mrrc chassis ( I had waiting for a body?) and it is still short. I did find another chassis that might work. the new Javelin. Correct wheelbase but the glide is a little out front of the bumper.
eightwheels
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Mitch58 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:54 am

If you want a little more performance the CG 3D printed universal chassis will fit. This will allow you to use a slot it pod and a C130 motor. I've used several and they drive like a Slot it. The mounting post are the same as the PCS chassis which also fits most Eldon, Revell, and Ninco classic models.
Mitch58
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby dreinecke » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:45 am

Mitch is totally correct on the CG 3D chassis! Sorry I'd forgotten to mention that! I have a few of their chassis for testing and plumb forgot to mention them. Due to my move, etc. they are sitting here awaiting my final testing under the Dart. I also have a narrow version I plan on running under my Birdcage when I release it.

Let me find a few minutes this weekend and see if I can finish it up to show you. Even without my test though - I can tell you it will work!
dreinecke
King of the Dum-Dums!

Postby slothead » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:55 pm

I started to design a scratch built chassis for the resin Dart body, then remembered some stuff I'd set aside and found a running HRS adjustable wheelbase chassis I bought but never used, and also a Carerra Mustang. The HRS chassis would have worked but the track was way too wide. I think I could have shortened the rear axle with a Dremel to get the rear wheels tucked inside the body, but the front axle holder was too wide all by itself.

So, I moved on to the Carerra Mustang which as a narrow track. In fact it was never a good runner on the oval because it was prone to rollovers and I had to add weight to the left side.

After Dremeling away some resin from inside the wheel wells of the body and narrowing the chassis to fit inside the rocker panels the two matched up nicely. I'm still working on the body mounts, but I was able to tape the body on well enough to run some qualifying laps and it ended up 22nd out of Trans Am 35 cars tested so far. This is good enough to be included into my 20 car TA series because of the history of the car, but if there are some simple tuning tips anyone has for this chassis I'll consider them.

I currently have PG-21104 tires on it but know they aren't the correct size, which I'll have to order. The narrow track doesn't seem to be an issue, but the E200 motor while listed at 21.5K rpms at 12 volts seems to lack some of the zip my Pioneer and faster Scalextric cars have.

Slothead
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby Wobble » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:31 am

An 18k Hawk should give you the zip you require, especially with taller tyres and 3:1 in-line ratio if that's what you're running..
Wobble
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Brumos RSR » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:49 am

Brumos RSR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:28 pm

I checked out the Hawk motor at SCC and may order one to try in the Carerra Mustang chassis.

The E200 motor comes with a plastic pinion gear already pressed on the can end of the motor - anyone know if the Hawk motor will accept the same pinion or if a metal pinion would be needed, and what size would work best with the Carerra crown gear on the rear axle?

I'd like to reuse the pinion gear off the E200 motor because the gear mesh makes for a smooth and quiet car. But, if the Hawk motor shaft isn't splined on the can end plastic pinions can start spinning after awhile when reused.

Slothead
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Next

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale