[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - RMS Resin Dodge Dart build

RMS Resin Dodge Dart build

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Re: RMS Resin Dodge Dart build

Postby Fathead59 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:30 pm

Hello everyone, planning on buying a few of the RMS bodies and build a few cars, most of the cars I want to get use a monogram chassis that is mentioned at RMS web site, would it be better to get a different chassis instead, first time builder of the smaller scale and would like as much info I can get, thank you
Fathead59
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:16 pm

If the RMS website recommends a certain chassis that's because the body has mounts ready for it to go on that chassis. For some reason, I assumed the Scalextric Cougar chassis would fit the Dodge Dart body when that wasn't the case. One thing to consider that I didn't is the track (width) of the front and rear wheels. I thought about the wheelbase, but not about the track, needed to fit the Dart body.

If you have a specific body in mind and ask David or the guys on this site, someone will let you know what chassis will work. In addition to the PCS chassis there may be some new 3D printed chassis that will work. In these cases you'll need to purchase the parts separately, which isn't as economical or simple as using a ready to go chassis from another type of car. In my case, the complete Carerra Mustang chassis fits the Dart so I just have to figure out mounting the body onto it, and possibly swapping in a new motor for more get-up-and-go.

Slothead
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby Fathead59 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:07 pm

Thanks for the info, have looked at other web sites and found different chassis that might work as well, thinking of putting in H&R motors
Fathead59
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Fathead59 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:21 pm

I have looked at a few different models and have half assed picked three but it is two different groups of three, 66 Chevelle, 65 Galaxie 65 Fury is the first group. Second group is 66 Dart , 66 Nova, 65 Galaxie, now is the time to plan colors of period correct colors of cars that ran during that time. Professor Motor has different chassis that Dave has recommend. both the PCS32 and Monogram chassis. When I get them ordered I will know which ones fit the best. With as many as I plan on making I will know which fit the best
Fathead59
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Fathead59 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:27 pm

And the reason I have picked there different bodies is because I got all three different builders set from slot car corner , ( I guess it is go big or go home for me ) actually I got two of each , still planning on building three cars but figured at the price I might as well get parts for future builds, I know that these could be for the proxy race but I don't think they will be done by then , I will try and get pics of the builds up as soon as I can figure out the photo bucket thing . Was looking at period correct cars for color schemes to paint and decals.
Fathead59
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Brumos RSR » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:08 pm

You can use the plastic pinion with slot it crown gears
Brumos RSR
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Fathead59 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:31 pm

LOL, after looking thru my notes the there resin models that I am going to buy were the 66 Chevelle, 65 Phymouth Fury, and the 65 Ford Galaxie, a nice start to an old timers proxy stock car race, maybe a hint to the powers that be ?
Fathead59
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Fathead59 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:36 pm

Thanks for the info Bruno, I welcome all the info I can get at this point. The last time I played with any type of slot cars they were HO scale and I was maybe 10 yrs old, so doing this brings back a lot of memorie
Fathead59
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby nhdungeonracer » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:39 am

nhdungeonracer
SCC Mechanic

Postby FC47 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:56 am

True. I've got one of the Slot.it tools.
Always glad to have it!

Paul
FC47
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Fathead59 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:42 am

I was able to get an RMS 1967 Camaro from an online store and the PCS chassis fits it, the front wheels tuck inside very nicely , I just need to put body mounts in it.
Fathead59
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:39 am

I tinkered with the RMS Dodge Dart body and figured out how to do body mounts for the Carrera Mustang chassis, then set it aside because even though it was a respectable runner, I had better Scalextric and Pioneer Trans Am cars that deserved to be in the series. The Dart is an iconic Trans Am car because of it's early success in both '66 and '67, but over the course of those years the factory teams from Ford, Mercury, and Chevrolet claimed the top spots.

The narrow wheels and tires on the Carrera Mustang are a detriment, in addition to the narrow track of the rolling chassis. The track of the Dart with the Carrera Mustang chassis is significantly narrower than Scalextric TA cars (especially the '70 Camaro and Javelin), and Pioneer cars. That matters on the tighter turns where the Dart is also somewhat top heavy and more likely to deslot and rollover, earning it a significant time penalty.

The bottom line is the Dart is such a narrow body having to keep the tires inside the body makes it a difficult car to build if you plan on using an RTR chassis. So, I've been thinking about the Dart body as a Showdown Sportsman build, where hogging out the wheel wells would be okay.
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Postby Fathead59 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:41 pm

Hello all, I am hoping that any one can help me out. I just got a 67 Ford Fairlane body from SCC and it looks like the Monogram chassis I have for the RMS bodies will fit it. I just need to find where I could get a new one. I just can't remember just what web site I ordered the first ones from.
Fathead59
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Fathead59 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:09 pm

" update" Was able to find said chassis, and one more car that I need to build, safe to say I need to get off my lazy a** and start building them. Hope to see you guys at the races, " slot on "
Fathead59
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Previous

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale