To Scale or NOT to Scale - 3D printing cars

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

To Scale or NOT to Scale - 3D printing cars

Postby -Nimrod- » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:03 am

Hi All,

Over the last year I've been perfecting, well playing around with a 3D printer.
I'm at the point of now being able to print bodies quite nicely with minimal ridges that easily disappear with a thin coat of primer.
I've recently printed a nice model of the McLaren M6 GT, a much more accurate version than what i've seen elsewhere.
Now here is the question, If I print it to 1/32 scale, it is a small car, but it is to scale.
it would fit perfectly on an MRRC Porsche 911 chassis.
Or do I print it to match the scale of the cars it should be running against (eg Fly Lola T70's, etc)?
The Fly Lola T70 and the Chevrons are over scaled.
I've even checked the dimensions of an expensive resin version, and that too is slightly larger then 1/32 scale.

I'd appreciate your thoughts and comments.

Thanks
-NimROD-
-Nimrod-
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Re: To Scale or NOT to Scale - 3D printing cars

Postby Dangermouse » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:34 am

Some people are scale police and want true 1/32 scale whilst others like a good looking car and aren't too concerned that it could be a bit too wide or too long etc.
If you are looking for something that will be competitive with the RTR cars then why not print one to scale and one to match the others and compare how they run. If the close to scale one performs well then that would be the go - as it would satisfy both the scale people and the people who want good runners. If the oversize one is the better performer and matches the RTR cars then go that way tell people it isn't true scale but it is competitive with the RTR cars it will race against
Dangermouse
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Czar » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:14 am

I think most people in the hobby are not too strict about scale. The popularity of the Vanquish cars proves that statement. But if you look, I am willing to bet that at least 75% of cars out there are not to scale. If you make the car look "right" with a good stance, you will appeal to a lot of racers. There are reasons for going out of scale, mostly because parts won't fit otherwise, or, in some cases, it just looks "odd" when 1:1 is reduced to something like 1/32 scale. But I think the goal should be a car that looks "right", but is as clse to scale as possible.
Czar
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby proxieken » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:48 am

I have been working on some odd cars myself. What I have done is scale the wheel base to fit the chassis I intended the car to fit on. Specifically, I am making 3 different Torino cars. I know the wheel base is the same as the 69 Torino made by Carrera, as well as the 69 Charger. So I just made the car to fit those chassis. I had to widen it a bit also.

For me, I can not tell if a car is out of scale from just looking at it. But I can tell it does not fit in with the others on the track, being too small or large.

I recently compared and Eldon Charger to a Pioneer with a friend. The Eldon looked OK, until we sat it next to the others. Then it suddenly became horribly small and it was impossible to "unsee" it. I know if I put scale correct 14" wheels on a 69 Torino it would look terrible.

I used to think 1/24 and 1/25 were pretty interchangeable. Until I saw a 1/24 and 1/25 Mopar setting side by side. Just slightly wider and longer, but enough to make me not want to put them on the track at the same time.

So I guess my thoughts are to make the car look good with others in your collection.
proxieken
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Czar » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:07 am

Nimrod, you posed an excellent question. Unfortunately you see how most slot racers don't really care about scale, as this thread sinks to the bottom with only three replies.
Czar
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:35 am

For quite a few years I would measure a new car for product review. I thought seeing how accurate it was to 1/32 scale was important to report.

It’s not.

What the dimensions offer to most is how close they will be to other current models in the series.
Or it gives the reader an idea of what current aftermarket chassis will fit it.

So unless you just want an accurate stand alone model, make it look well enough so it looks the part on the track next to the cars you want to race against.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby RichD » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:00 am

Years ago I saw an article about the person who did some of the Tamiya model cars. He said that when you scale a car down it might not look right and certain adjustments would have to be made. Back in the early '60s there were not a lot of racing car bodies available in HO scale, so I did my own starting with street car bodies. I had pictures and the line drawings that were published in Model Car&Track as a starting point, but I always had to change things a little. It is too bad that all of those cars were stolen or I could post pictures of them.
In any case as far as I am concerned a car either looks right or it doesn't. The new Scalextric Ford Gt Mk.IV is an example of a car that does not look quite right.
RichD
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby ccobra » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:47 am

I don't think it really matters as long as it follows most of the distinguishing contours that the 1:1 vehicles are famous for. after doing a few chassis to scale I soon noticed that my wheelbase is off which I based off of information found on the internet. But the main thing that counts is the smile factor when racing the cars. So what I'm trying to say is don't worry and Print On!!
ccobra
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby -Nimrod- » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:45 pm

Thank you all for sharing your views and opinions.
Quite clearly, the appearance to the racer is what matters, by ccobra, "the smile factor" is what really counts, totally agree.
Right now, I have a print to exactly 1/32 scale, and it sits almost perfectly on an MRRC Porsche 910 chassis, understandable as their wheel base is very close.
The MRRC Porsche is also almost perfect 1/32 in scale.
In comparison, the Fly Lola T70 measures an additional 6mm in both length and width from the correct 1/32 scale dimensions.
No longer 1/32, but proportionally close, but even out of scale, it is a car many have grown to love.
I really love the look of the McLaren so will be printing another "Lola T70" scaled up version.
This way I can utilize a Fly sidewinder chassis, or print a modified version to try and keep some sort of parity for racing.
Thanks again for all the feedback.
I'll upload some pics later tonight, unfortunately Photobucket has let me down.

Cheers
-NimROD-
-Nimrod-
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Modlerbob » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:53 pm

I like my slotcars close to scale but I would choose to have mine a little wider every time
Modlerbob
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby strangebrew » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:07 am

Here's an example:
The '40 Ford mod on the left originated as a Shotgun Dave 1/32 casting.
The '36 Ford on the right was once a Monogram 1/24 Kit from many, many, many years ago.
Lots of dremel & bondo work yielded this result, with the approx. same dimensions.
I think it compares quite favorably with the "actual" 1/32. :dance:
(Hope I haven't disqualified myself from the "Showdown")

strangebrew
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby -Nimrod- » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:28 pm

Thanks again guys for your input.
Strangebrew - Cars look great, my next 3D project maybe. proportions are right to race them against each other.

Car McLaren body MRRC Porsche 910
Length 123mm 126mm
width 54mm 54mm
height 33mm 31mm
w/base 74mm 71mm

The body was printed vertically at 0.05mm layers and took approx. 20hours to print
I've separated the rear end as this allows me to print the various differences in the real cars.
the ridges are barely 0.01mm high, one spray of undercoat and the body is smooth.
Being new to 3D printing but having good knowledge in 3D CAD, It has taken a good year to get the models to a level I'm happy with, but you need to make sure the printer is up for what you want to print. I did 3 months of research and worked out I needed a large build volume and at least 0.05mm layer accuracy. I was told the printer could do even higher but that would involve changing nozzles, etc. the printer has been great so far even for spaceships and 25mm and 15mm figures.

Cheers
-NimROD-
-Nimrod-
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby -Nimrod- » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:41 pm

One more pic showing size comparison of the Fly Lola T70 MKIIIb

Cheers
-NimROD-
-Nimrod-
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby BARC 1 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:53 am

Interesting topic with some surprising observations. I am far from a scale purest, only because this hobby makes it hard to be one. I also model trains, where the manufacturers are way more in touch with scale purity.

I personally would opt for a scale car. With 3D printing you have the ability to do this so why not. You will never have to make excuses for building one to scale. If other cars are too big, or too small that is their problem, not yours.

I wish the manufactures would be more diligent with scale fidelity,and we wouldn't have the issues of different brands of GT 40s with different wheelbases. I personally wish the manufacturers would be mandated to accurate packaging. 1/32 should be 1/32 just like 18000 RPM is 18000 RPM. IMO there is too much drift tolerated, but as consumers of a specialty hobby we pretty much have to accept what we are given. As a consumer I would like the model to be presented accurately. I. e. If a car is 1/28 scale or 1/35 scale then label it as such. At least that way I know what I am buying. IMO, Passing off a release as 1/32 when it clearly is 1/28 is wrong plain and simple. No different then claiming a car gets 45 mpg when in reality you will be lucky to get 30. Some things are just wrong.
BARC 1
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale