[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 543: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 127: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4775: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4776: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4777: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Home Racing World • View topic - Table suggestions

Table suggestions

1/32nd Scale Slot Car Forum
Discussions for 1/32nd Scale

Table suggestions

Postby mtrcyclu » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:45 am

Looking to build a 8’x12’ table to set up a track on. Looking for ideas on building materials and construction techniques or plans for this. Thanks in advance for your input.
mtrcyclu

Re: Table suggestions

Postby mattb » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:23 am

8X12, pretty easy to use a folding table with an 8X12 wood top. That is the easy way if you are a little light on carpenter skills. If the woodwork is no problem, a couple 2 X 4's for legs, some 1 X 4 for ribs and struts and 1/2 or thicker plywood for the top.
mattb
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Pappy » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:35 pm

A lot depends on how much money you want to spend. You could build a 6' x 10' box out of plywood, put it on casters so you could roll it around to get it out of the way and clean under it and put an 8' x 12' top on it with side rails. It would look great. My track is on wheels and if I ever built another one it will be on wheels too.
Pappy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:34 pm

HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby chappyman66 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:35 pm

Yup, it all depends on how much you want to spend. My large track (4 x 16) was about $75. Cheap 3/4 particle board, sawhorses, and copper tape ( I already had the router and bits). Plywood with 2x2 framing also works fine...that is my plan for the new indoor track this winter.

I also made a track from an old countertop, about 7 x 3 (free from a rummage sale) and the melamine surface has super grip when clean.

So yeah....tracks can be inexpensive and easy, but still great fun.
Last edited by chappyman66 on Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
chappyman66
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Pappy » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:18 pm

I kinda over did mine. My idea was to make it moveable so I could push it out of the way and use my workshop. But I made so much sawdust I decided to build a wall down the middle of my workshop and make one half of it my slot car playroom.

http://slotblog.net/topic/31554-butchs-track/

http://slotblog.net/topic/43053-finklem ... race-park/
Pappy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby HomeRacingWorld » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:55 pm

I really hope folks click on those links.

For those that remember...seeing Marty chime in is priceless.

Not to take away from the effort in this track. Just incredible work done.
HomeRacingWorld
HRW Janitor

Postby slowshoes » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:11 am

Really nice tracks fellas. Harry, I'll take two of those slotburgers to go please! :D
slowshoes
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby Lou E » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:06 am

Lou E
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby TuscoTodd » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:21 am

WOW!!! Thank you for the link Harry - that is one HECK of a build / slot room!
:D
TuscoTodd
HRW Bouncer

Postby Pappy » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:49 am

Pappy
HRW SlotCar Veteran!

Postby slothead » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:36 pm

Mtrcyclu - there are many ways to build or create a table. You'll see great work by the guys on this site, but don't get intimidated. You don't have to be a carpenter or know a lot to get started. But things will work out best if you have a plan, but also don't let the plan restrict you if & when new ideas come to mind once you get started - just pause and plan for them too.

First issue - will the table be permanent or temporary, and will it be stationary or would it make sense to put it on casters? For a temporary (or not) table consider folding saw horses that are rated at 500 lbs each, and can be found for about $20 each this time of year. My 4' x 14' oval that was built to go on saw horses is now on a permanent table attached to a wall so it only has 2 legs in the front. My 6' x 16' road course is freestanding and on casters so I can move it around to work on any side.

As for the design of the table I watched a lot of model railroading videos and checked out articles in their magazines. My movable table uses the very popular L-girder technique and the track surface overhangs the table on all sides while still being very sturdy. Table height also matters and mine is nearly 36", which is more than standard table top height. I have a storage shelf under it and even a roll out bed that was used a lot a few years ago.

Also, if you don't have access to a pickup truck for lumber you can use smaller pieces. 2' x 4' Handy Panels are more expensive than full sheets, but are easier to transport and handle. 1" x 3" and 1" x 4" pieces of pine can be used on edge or doubled up to provide the strength of framing lumber while being easier to manage.

Planning is half the fun - so have at it.

Slothead
slothead
The Doctor is IN!

Return to HRW 1/32nd Scale